1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Glitch Ship AI Feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Izzabelle, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Do you like the Glitch Ship AI?

1. No, I really really dislike it

156 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Yes

47 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Yes, I really really like it

121 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. I am indifferent

46 vote(s)
    10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvet1601

velvet1601 Void-Bound Voyager

i'am french so sorry for the bad english!!
    i don't like this AI because i think its don't fit the glitch background in one point: when we play a glitch we are more evoluate than the other glitch so why don't wa have a AI reprenting a Glitch? If it changes when we upgrade the ship i don't mind in this case (but if not then i wait for a mod switching it with a more suitable one - in my opinion)

Ps: I don't really like the floran one too (its not really fits the floran) if its 'cause it's the ship was endomaged (and it can be update ) I thing its can be OK.

2. Kreq

Kreq Phantasmal Quasar

When you cast a vote you start from the assumption that the people who vote represent the majority. That's the meaning of polls.
    I don't expect a human like you to actually UNDERSTAND this, so just take it as a notion, something you might tell your friends while you play with your Ken and Barbie on the highway during rush hour.

If this poll is proven right (and it's been proven right by statistic in the last centuries, but maybe you, Magmarhashi, might be right), that would mean that the devs aren't listening to the 44.6% of the community.

3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

its odd to have people saying that the horse has no glitch background

becouse the glitch's background isnt made yet

4. Magmarashi

Magmarashi Cosmic Narwhal

44.6% of the posters in this thread, Which is a minority opinion even by the standards of this poll, but certainly not 44% of THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY POSTING ON THESE BOARDS. That is massively inflating the significance of this poll.

You're a human, too, role-playing in what is supposed to be a serious discussion is mockery.

5. Kreq

Kreq Phantasmal Quasar

You might notice that we've already hit the ends of the Gaussian curve that might move the significance of the poll itself, but why am i wasting my time?

6. Narks

Narks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I still think it looks like a fetishized horse.

Kreq and ObsidianDragon13 like this.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

And thus we return to the very core of the issue.

8. Magmarashi

Not to mention the people in the community who aren't bothering to even vote or read the thread, the users who don't do anything beyond use their forum account of making or downloading mods, all the people who play but don't use the forums...

180 something people is statistically super-insignificant. If you're going to throw around fancy terms instead of just saying 'bell curve' to try and show how knowledgeable you are about statistic and statistical traits then you should be well aware how little this one poll actually represents any majority or minority opinion.

What I am getting at is this poll is super informal and not meant to be something used to sway the devs one way or the other, but merely to judge reaction on a small scale as it pertains to this discussion. It's not Dev sanctioned nor will it be presented to them as hard evidence. All of this was made super clear but some seem to be forgetting that in their zeal, I think you could call it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  9. Lumaro

Lumaro Void-Bound Voyager

This.

10. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Its a bit strange for my liking's but I don't really care what it looks like to be honest.

11. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

But it is not possible to ask every single one of the +200k individuals about their opinion about this horse thing now, is it?

How do you think governments for instance do their surveys? They either just pick a small amount of people, or they send their survey to everyone and then get a minor response. 0.1% of total or lower aren't even strange numbers for this.

It's a very normal thing to make assumptions based on a smaller sample.

Kreq likes this.
  12. Magmarashi

That isn't what the poll was put up for, it's an informal poll not officially sanctioned. It's also becoming a major point of straight-up misunderstanding and argument, and I don't think having the poll was a very good idea in hindsight because it's giving people the idea that it is official.

Even if we take the poll as official, 'Yes' has a lead. People can't argue 'you can't ignore those 44%!' when over 50% of the poll points to 'Yes'. If you do that, you are straight up saying that the results don't matter, just do what I agree with and that isn't right.

13. Lumaro

Lumaro Void-Bound Voyager

It also helps to not have a 3rd of your initial population exiled.

Kreq likes this.
  14. Boneslord

Boneslord Big Damn Hero

But why a human with a head horse? Why not a Glitch or something related to a Glitch?

Kreq likes this.
  15. Magmarashi

Because the Devs thought it was funny, so they added it. Because it's not a super serious grimdark darkness the dark 2 scifi darkness sim, it's a fun space-themed sandbox game with a goofy personality that takes inspiration from fun and serious sources in equal amounts, and they had confidence in their users to just have a laugh at it and not taking it as a serious violation of trust or personal insults.

It's a silly little joke that isn't offensive or harmful in a game that's supposed to be fun and reflect the humor of those making it.

It doesn't need a super serious lore reason to exist.

TheNameless and Azahiel like this.
  16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

it might be part of the glich lore for all we know

17. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Obviously, the poll is just here to show what people think, I don't think I stated that it was official anywhere, but that thing I described in my previous post goes for any single poll, official or not, it's all the same mechanic.

No way on earth that the poll will be precise either, there's always some error that has to be taken in account, that's why a minor lead just over 50% doesn't matter shit, it's about the big picture... We can assume that this whole thing is a bit 50/50.

You're exaggerating a bit here, that number of "exiled" people probably doesn't even come close to 1% of total, unless staff is really ban-happy around here.

18. Magmarashi

The ideas are not mutually exclusive. If it's part of the Glitch Lore, then it's because they decided it should be, and I can guarantee you they decided it would be because they thought it would be funny.

They could stand to be stricter.

I wasn't pointing a finger at you, directly, just the general direction things seem to be going re: others

19. Yamada Stone

Yamada Stone Void-Bound Voyager

I don`t understand why so many people complain. For me AI look quite good and makes sense in the context of medieval Glitch theme. If it`s not good for you, why not change it with the help of mods?

Owl_Stalker and Rainbow Dash like this.
  20. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

This game has been going with a slightly goffy style since the start (theres pop monsters even), the goffy glitch horse AI seems to fit the theme (In my humble opinion).

People seems to say that it "makes the race seem less serious" or "makes the game less serious".

I would like to ask anyone with such a argument the following question: Have you even dived into the lore? Checked the description of items? The game was never close to "serious" to begin with, its allways been like this.

(The definition i use for serious is "Designed for and addressing grave and earnest tastes" & "Not trifling or jesting")

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.