Give us a way to remember NPC preferences

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by scaper12123, Nov 29, 2017.

1. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This game just stresses me out at this point, and the issue stems from the preferences of all the NPCs. There's in excess of 20 people in this town and I have to remember what things they like, love, hate, loath, and what times of year I can get those things so I can stockpile them and then I actually have to find them and god dang it I know I don't HAVE to make friends with every last person in this valley but if I don't, I feel the game will be silently judging me.

The point is that having to tab out to remember NPC preferences is frustrating and there need to be easier ways to learn/remember them. I noticed that NPCs none-too-subtly tell you the preferences of other characters after you make good friends with them but I'd prefer it if that happened a lot earlier, at least for the case of items that characters like (as opposed to love).

Having some sort of journal stating what items NPCs like would also not go amiss. Would probably work well as something we fill out as we give characters items or as we get hints from other characters. Bonus points will be awarded if it also notes birthdays so we don't have to go all the way into town to look them up.

nekoCrimson likes this.
    • Fineya

Fineya Space Hobo

for birthdays -> you can byu a calender.

and for the other thing -> for the pc there is a mod.

Okay, I donĀ“t like mods even if I use some, so it would nice if it where implemented

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

The Stardew Valley wiki is the best place to go to learn all you need to know about what each NPC loves, likes or hates as gifts. It has schedules so you can figure out where they are when you need to give them a present. A list of all the fish and where, when and what weather conditions they are best caught in. I keep it handy on my tablet when I play. It's awesome. Here's a link for it https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Stardew_Valley_Wiki

• Fineya

Fineya Space Hobo

the problem I see here is: There are too much to learn. Before I had the mod I had many notes all over my desk.

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

Even after several in game years over 4 different farms, I still look up what an NPC wants for a present. You're right there is way too much to memorize, but with the wiki it's just a click away. I would be lost without it. Because I play on the ps4 there are no mods so I have to rely on the wiki.

• nekoCrimson

nekoCrimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

I disagree that the wiki is The Best Possible Solution to this. It's the one we have now, but one could be implemented (and has been by mods, but that's not universal anyways as it doesn't apply to console players or people who may be dealing with lag.)
              I like the journal approach; one NPC tells you the taste of another NPC (the first one I got was Shane saying that Marnie hates clay, for example), and that gets "unlocked" in your journal. You give a gift to someone and they give you the neutral text, and that gets "unlocked" in the journal.

I disagree about the birthday thing though. You can already look at upcoming birthdays in the calendars, and if the problem is trying to get seasonal items for them, it's usually easier to remember seasons IMO. Maybe it'd be nice if you could use the calendar to "flip" to other seasons? Or maybe I'm overthinking this lol