Give Chests Names

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by McMagnus, Dec 28, 2015.

1. McMagnus

McMagnus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Title says it all. It'd be awesome if we could give a name / rename chests (non-unique names).

ChestName.PNG

I'm brand new to Starbound, so maybe there's already a mechanism in place that I'm not aware of. Did a quick search of the forums and didn't see anything on this, so apologies if I missed the appropriate thread.

Thanks - loving the game.

2. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Good suggestion!
    And to piggy back on this:
    Make it so that the custom name shows up upon inspecting the chest! That would make finding the right one in a large storage area all the more easy!

111sonic111 and Gav Featherbeak like this.
  3. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

You can make a plaque on the wall near the chest. There's an NPC in the Outpost who allows printing user-drawn plaques. Some even use it to make paintings.
    Not quite what you're talking about, but it helps finding the chest you need just fine.

4. McMagnus

McMagnus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks MelOzone - just got to Outpost and discovered that.

It'd still be neat to have custom chest names and (thanks Plex_Director) for those names to show upon inspection, but much less of an issue with the availability of plaques.

Jappards likes this.
  5. Xebov

Xebov Aquatic Astronaut

Naming Containers would be a huge help. I dont like the plate option since its hard for anyone not common to pixel art to work with it to create letters.

Jappards likes this.
  6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

cmon its not really hard to make a simple letter with pixels. Even less because youc an in worst case just google some and do them in the same way.

7. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I agree but why stop at chests? Why not all containers? I use metal crates on my ship. I want to rename those. ;)

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  8. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

that should't be to hard to inplant also sounds useful if you have many of the same type of chest

9. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

It's probably late, but now you can do it.
    The mod is not mine. But it also allows many more useful things besides naming.

10. Silverdagger

Silverdagger Void-Bound Voyager

This would be a nice addition if implemented