Girls looking more like girls

Discussion in 'Other' started by 1029chris, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

There's a reason a majority of people in engineering majors are male and the majority of liberal arts majors are female.

2. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

Add another pixel to the chest so they have nipples?

Shock likes this.
  3. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Sounds like a bad idea, no offense. :wut:

4. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

I know :rofl: I was making a joke based on how incredibly hard it is to make pixel sprites look different from each other based on body structure.

§hifter and Shock like this.
  5. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

Agreed. Even now boobs look kinda wierd.

SOMEONE will mod that in.

6. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

Lol. Not only that, but I'm sure someone will mod something in where girls boobs are the size of their entire body... With jiggle physics.

7. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Cosmic Narwhal

What this guy said.

Honestly though, who wouldn't want to be dressed in full body armor, save a bunch of macho mercenaries from some giant green slime-spewing space spider, and then take off your helmet and pull a Samus on 'em?

Noobih and Alternal like this.
  8. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

And that persons name is Alaizia Darkstar... If she had programming skills.

9. Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think she's already in another game:

[​IMG]

BrutorDragon likes this.
  10. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

It looks like she is evil and is trying to lure you in so she can bake you into a pie.

"that's right come right over here, you know you want to"

Blackleaf likes this.
  11. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

24% is not rare, see link below, and I find many of your comments to be sexist and borderline bigotry.
    First page shows an overall demographic

imp likes this.
  12. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

I really don't get why people are upset that girls typically don't represent jobs like engineering and math and stuff. If they want to be an engineer then they will be an engineer. It's obviously just a career path that women don't seek out compared to men.

§hifter likes this.
  13. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

I didn't mean to sound upset and I apologize if I did if that was directed at me lol. But lets not ignore the fact that women don't have equal rights across the globe. Even in places they do, such as the states, they haven't had those rights for very long at all. And yeah that absolutely has a negative impact on their pay, how they are treated, and looked down upon in STEM related jobs. I remember plenty of women in my engineering classes, it wasn't 50/50, but yeah they seek those jobs out but are weeded out along the way. I don't claim to know why the demographic is unbalanced but lets not pretend they aren't effected by the very recent past.

imp and Alternal like this.
  14. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

Oh no it wasn't directed at you. And I guess i said that because Iv never thought of women to be bellow me. Most of them are accualy better than I am :rofl:. And I only say they don't seek those jobs out as much as men because in every robotics, computer science, physics, ect, class I ever hade there were much more men then women.

15. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

I'm a student at a pretty big engineering college in my area. A vast majority (like, 75%) of the population is male. In fact, I would wager that the only reason we have so many females in our college is because the school offers a nursing major. Within my major (software engineering), we have a grand total of 3 girls - out of about 150-200 people in that major - in all grade levels.

Down the road a bit is an liberal arts college. I'm not quite as familiar with the statistics, but when I go over there to visit it's almost all girls (probably also around 75%).

Both schools have pretty high standards of education; that is, they don't accept any Joe Shmoe that applies. I think this proves that males are naturally better at some things and females are naturally better at others, but both are capable of learning whatever they want. I'm not suggesting that one gender is better than the other, just that differences exist.

As for physical differences... well, you're arguing with thousands of years of evolution. Males evolved a large physique to fight off predators and hunt prey; females evolved wider hips to make pregnancy and childbirth a little easier. Men have keener eyesight in the dark; women can see a wider range of colors. If you're interested, check out this article. It's got some pretty good examples and explanations of natural differences between male and female.

16. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

I don't think it's one gender being better at something than the other. I think it's just a difrences in interest between genders.

imp likes this.
  17. I recall Stephen Fry once talked about how women and men are not easily identifiable from the other. If people can make trap characters, so what?

DevonDe likes this.
  18. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

What college are you going to? Are you a grad student? I'm curious to check out to see if this 3 to 200 ratio is true for myself.

19. Sheez

Sheez Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm going to disagree with you. Heavily.

Saying "Well, this is what I see! Therefore, proof!" is fundamentally flawed. You as a person, unless you are conducting studies with rigorous methods, do not have sufficient sample size to make claims of this nature. Further, inherent biases that you may not be aware may be coloring your perceptions. For reals. That isn't to say that you as a person are terrible (You're here, right? Obviously an individual of upstanding character.) but rather than you lack the extraordinary faculty to do on the fly the same thing that scientists and researchers do in labs with exacting processes. Which is okay, because it's pretty rare for anyone to be super human.

One of the many factors that have not made their way into your thesis here is the reinforcement that women receive that they are no good at things like math and engineering. People who are regularly reinforced tend to follow the lines of that reinforcement.* When we, as a culture, tell women that they are bad at math and reinforce that throughout their lives, they become worse at being able to do math because that reinforcement suggests that any effort expended by them will be wasted or misplaced from more valuable past-times. A marked distinction can be seen between how women and men in cultures with certain reinforcements compare to those who do not have that reinforcing influence. And there are differences. Significant ones.

I would strongly suggest that you take a swing through some of the tests here. They're pretty informative on biases you may not be aware that you have, which is a neat place to start the process of self-discovery.

I would also note that the example you've provided does not link any actual studies or references. We don't know if that site is pulling these stats out of thin air, Wikipedia (a uniformly bad place to use as a reference, but sometimes good for finding other more reliable references), or Wacky Tom's Wacky Fact Emporium. I'm not inclined to trust a place that won't list where it's product comes from.

* I would be happy to dig for studies relating this, if you're actually interested in reading them.

As an aaabsolute side note, §hifter, I find your remarks to be in bad taste. An individual has expressed a desire to be able to make a character that they are comfortable with. Your reaction of "WELL DEAL WITH IT" is not the sort of accepting behavior that we should exemplify to members of a community we share in. You can disagree without being rude.

Fonjo, imp and Kenwei2 like this.
  20. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

Glad I didn't have to write all that, I don't have the energy right now, and lets hope someone doesn't pick it apart one paragraph at a time in a classic rebuttal. Can we all get back to the OP now? I think we've derailed this train quite far enough.

EDIT: I meant that I read and agreed with everything Sheez said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.