Giant Crops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrJRozzy, Feb 28, 2016.

1. MrJRozzy

MrJRozzy Intergalactic Tourist

upload_2016-2-27_19-37-27.png
    So I have a giant Melon here and don't really know what to do with it. Will it be hauled away at the end of the day or do I have to harvest it somehow?

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

oh my god that's frigging huge

• MrJRozzy

MrJRozzy Intergalactic Tourist

I figured it out, you need to chop it up with an axe to harvest it. I got 15 Melons from it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
        • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Okay, that's honestly a bit scary. What the heck is in Stardew Valley's soil!? O.O

Good to know, Harvest wise, though.

• River King

River King Big Damn Hero

• rapinii

rapinii Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh my god, that's awesome, lol. But does it combine all the crops you had around it? (Since it's 3x3 size)

• loviebeest

loviebeest Space Penguin Leader

According to the TV this can also happen to pumpkins. Though it didn't happen for me.

• Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

I will use the pumpkin by carving it out and making a spare room.
                That cauliflower shall be turned into my giant bed.
                T̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶i̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶h̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶i̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶l̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶m̶m̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶

SpitefulFox likes this.
                • Thanatosll

Thanatosll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So far we have proof of melons, pumpkins and now cauliflower getting giant crops. Wonder what else can be giant crop.

How do you take screenshots in SV?

• Maiden's Tear

Maiden's Tear Pangalactic Porcupine

I had a pumpkin myself in the first year but haven't had any other large crops since. They take up 3 by 3 (so 9 normally from the crops) but the drops from the giant crop is generally improved. My pumpkin got me 18 (double the amount) so it was a welcome bonus. Sees very rare and only from single harvest crops (so anything that you pick once and is gone). I am doubtful flowers can have giant ones however. Likely they all have to grow together (same day for harvest)

• Hail Kira

Hail Kira Void-Bound Voyager

Oh my gawd! I gotta try that!

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Guess I'll be using Winter to make my crop plots shaped to allow for these and better watering. Wish I could label them with signs or something. (And that the Steel Watering Can watered a six block strip instead of five.)

• Maiden's Tear

Maiden's Tear Pangalactic Porcupine

Seasonal changes basically remove all prepared stuff like tilled land and such. Is kind of a pain :p

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Really? I've had tilled soil and fertilizer roll into the next season. I mean, sure, some of the tilled spots vanish, but that's day-to-day erosion or whatever you want to call it. Though, I haven't been able to play for a few days because I've been stuck in bed, so maybe next time I load up, it will do that. If it does, I'll just have to outline 6x6 squares in paths or something, and figure out scarecrow placement. Either way, Winter will be better for planning because I won't have to tear down crops to do it. Or I might start a new game to take advantage of some of the patching.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
                            • Jagore

Jagore Big Damn Hero

Giant crops happen when you plant a 3x3? I think plot of the same crop type. Melons, cauliflower, and I think pumpkins do this. They are just like the giant boulders you find in the mines, you hit them with a tool and they crack open and give you a bunch of mellon or whatever.