Digital GGF Art Drills

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Git Gud Fox, May 5, 2018.

1. Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

Hello, I am Git Gud Fox, GGF, or just Fox. I am starting a YouTube channel revolving around developing skills from scratch through self help.

My motto is "you don't have to be good to git gud." ... because you never start very good.

My logo is constructed from vector maps on Adobe Ps CC. It's not a freehand design though which is what I'm working on here.

EXHIBIT A

The parsnip shading drill

People go to art school to stare at fruits to study color theory. I'm doing the same thing... sort of. The shapes of the parsnip were created with vector maps, and the colors were applied using a Wacom drawing tablet.

The color swatch was drawn from an analogous color scheme.

The perspective of the leaves aren't where I want them, but this was about practicing color theory and shading.

I didn't realize how tiny the image would be until I already saved it. I was still using my high resolution canvas for backgrounds.

[​IMG]

Astrid Speckles and Jiok like this.
    • Git Gud Fox

Round 2... PAINT!

Trying again, this time with a proper size to the canvas.

Not wanting to do the EXACT same thing twice, I changed the perspectives of the leaves and went for a sort of leaf striation look that wound up being a bit difficult. The first leaf, the one facing the viewer, turned out really good... then it went downhill from there.

The leaves are a pain in general as the original image doesn't clearly identify what direction the leaves are going in. You have to choose it for yourself.

Perspective was not the goal here, though.

You don't git gud if you don't practice every day. That's what I say.

[​IMG]

Astrid Speckles likes this.
      • Git Gud Fox

So, today is the rhubarb. I am not putting 100% of my attempt into the leaves as I'm mainly trying to get the hang of rendering the curvature of something round which I'm slowly becoming happier with. As you can tell, the rhubarb in SDV doesn't look much like an actual rhubarb, but I am guessing this is because the pixel art wouldn't look detailed enough if it were extremely narrow as the rhubarb is in real life.

I just realized that it looks more like a red egg. Hmm, I guess that isn't necessarily bad. It means that I'm getting better and making things look round.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2018
          Astrid Speckles likes this.