Tutorial Getting you started on your first custom species!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Kayuko, May 16, 2015.

1. Flarp987

Flarp987 Void-Bound Voyager

ummm what folder?[DOUBLEPOST=1450490435][/DOUBLEPOST]i want to do this and i still have a question... is this too complicated for a 12 year-old and is it anoying for somone with a 56% paitents scale?

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

1. http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/how-to-successfully-pack-and-unpack-pak-files.66649/

2. My opinion, but if you are 12 years old and lacking in a significant attention span, I don't think you should try to create a race mod, at least from scratch. There is a lot of work that goes into such a mod, and you have to understand what you are doing a lot of the time. The best race mods are also the ones that have had a ton of effort put into them.

3. Flarp987

im 10 and i would say im not lacking a good attention span but when it comes to starbound my brother makes everything easy hes a geeky 18 year old.

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Ask your brother to unpack the games assets for you. It shouldn't be too hard if he knows his way around a computer. And, then you two might be able to collaborate on a basic race mod. :)

5. Flarp987

Ok i asked him he knows how to unpack a file like that and i looked up a video on how to unpack it. It looked kinda complicated but it seems like i might be able to do it with my junk version of sb so i dont mess up this one and have to save my player files and then delete sb then redownlode the put the player files back in uhg i do that sooo many times and i dont wana do it again me and my bro just woke up Well get started :kitten2::cool::DD

6. Flarp987

Ok good news my brother didnt help but i got a video on to show me how to unpack it it said all this not complicated things that were easy to do i think it worked right now its unpacking as I'm typing and I'm sure i did exactly what it sayed so thanks. I'm going to need a lot of help so be ready if i have a lot of questions k?[DOUBLEPOST=1450547823][/DOUBLEPOST]:)

7. Flarp987

it is working i think?

8. Curry_Senpai

Curry_Senpai Void-Bound Voyager

Hey there, new to posting, lurked for a while. A friend of mine and I wanted to get working on a custom race to test something out. It's a short race, meaning things will be positioned differently. We have a workaround for the head slot and how we can keep that level with the normal human template, but the placement of the origin of the arm in relation to the body sprite is something we have yet to figure out, I heard the pony race mod had found a solution to that problem, but I took a look through the files and didn't see anything particularly out of line with the default assets. Is there a way to fix this?

9. AlexFish27

AlexFish27 Intergalactic Tourist

Can Anyone Help Me? I followed all the steps to the best of my ability and i have everything in a single folder. when i put it in the mods folder in the starbound game folder, and when i load starbound the game shows the icon in the bottom screen and crashes!!! Can anyone help me, or can i send my file to anyone and they can check it over so i know whats wrong?? Please i want this to work so i can play as a custom character i created and i also want to put this on the steam workshop. I know this is an old thread but kayuko can you help me??

10. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The answer is in your log file. http://community.playstarbound.com/...ors-fixing-most-problems-yourself-v1-1.69198/

11. AlexFish27

i still dont understand

12. AlexFish27

13. IHart

its giving me an error when i try to unzip it so i cannot test it. If you share your log file we could see what the specific problem is.
    The general problem is that you are not using your patch method, and .modinfo is an old file type that is not used anymore. Check the modding guides sticky for modding basics.

14. AlexFish27

when i put it in my mods folder and run starbound it crases my game and thats all, it doesnt give me a log file

15. AlexFish27

where can you find the log file

16. IHart

17. AlexFish27

can you give me your email and i can send my file to you

18. IHart

19. AlexFish27