Getting my ass kicked by quests.

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Cardbo, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Cardbo

Cardbo Phantasmal Quasar

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But if I go to a village, I'll accept some quests, and after successfully completing a few, the difficulty will quickly ramp up and the bounties will become extremely difficult to kill. Any tips on managing these?

2. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Well, if possible, get some better armor and weapons, and maybe try a different angle of attack. The good ol' Ferozium Staff + strong Rocket Launcher occasionally works.

3. Cardbo

Cardbo Phantasmal Quasar

What is the difficulty based on? I've just started and did the Erchius Mining Facility. I've crafted the first tier of armor, but my weapons are an admin generated legendary shortsword and pistol. Is that why I'm being one and two shotted?

4. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Default level for spawned-in items usually is Level 1, a.k.a. starter-planet level. Outlaws tend to be the same level as the planet, maybe one higher, and have a powerful weapon set.

If you want the strongest available equipment, try spawning in an item like the following: /spawnitem rarerocketlauncher 1 '{"level":10}'

Would you look at the damage? Now compare it to one spawned in with just /spawnitem rarerocketlauncher

5. Cardbo

Cardbo Phantasmal Quasar

The damage for the Sword was 25 and had a Fire damage attribute. The laser pistol was 23 damage.

6. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

A decent Level 10 broadsword would do about 50 DPS.

Laser pistol… Like the Aegisalt Pistol? Nah, get yourself a Durasteel Assault Rifle. Way more fun.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. Cardbo

Cardbo Phantasmal Quasar

Still. I really shouldn't need to admin create overpowered weapons just to defeat a quest on the next planet over from my starting point.

8. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Try bringing some of your crew, the soldier type preferably. They make a great distraction, especially when you're facing an outlaw armed with rocket launcher or sniper. The strategy on fighting them is to charge and assault, never give them the chance to open fire, but keep in mind that you also need to dodge their rocket shell and bullet while charging trought.

Broadsword is a great weapon in fighting them. You can also use shortsword and shield, just in case if you can't dodge the rocket shell and bullet.

9. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

You could also try trapping your targets in a small some of blocks, and use explosive abilities {i.e. Blink Explosion, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher} to damage your opponents indirectly. Do not use Bombs, unless you're more clever than I am (which, let's be real here, is a high possibility).

10. Cardbo

Cardbo Phantasmal Quasar

No crew yet, unfortunately.

No explosive abilities yet either.

11. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Hm…

You can still encase them. Just leave a hole one or two blocks high, right at their feet. You can shoot (or ssstab!) them whilst they can't do a thing.

12. Daikon Ocelot

Well, you can still fight them with or without crew or explosive. Just keep in mind, never give them the chance to open fire, close combat is the key!

Or... or... maybe you can poison them with poison bow or sniper from a far, therefore you don't have to worry about getting caught in the fight.

13. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Snipe them from afar!! move your camera to the max distance then snipe 'em!! (I did it when em still using no armor)

Cardbo likes this.
  14. Cardbo

Cardbo Phantasmal Quasar

That might work. I'll try it out.

15. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Or just build yourself a dirt bunker xD Like just leave one pixel as a hole to shoot then duck after you shoot to maybe stop the npc from shooting you xD

16. Daikon Ocelot

Hehehe... the kind of thing I do when fighting them. I usually build some wooden bunker near their usual spawn area. It make me easier in completing that kind of quest.