1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Getting major delay from internal server

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Silverdagger, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Silverdagger

Silverdagger Void-Bound Voyager

What i did basicly was :
    Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage (aka starbound folder inside storage)
    open the starbound.config file with an editor ( i used Notepad++) find and set options

"vsync" : false,
    "playerBackupFileCount" : 1,

also navigate to starbound.exe (inside win32 or win64 depending on the version you are using) Rightclick>Properties>>change Settings for all Users> Run this program as administrator (tick the box)

Cupa also suggested running it in compatability mode for Windows 7 Which i haven't tried yet , so i cannot say whether that improves the performance or not.

Also Keep a bakcup copy of the "storage" folder in case something goes wrong.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Turning vsync off might cause screen "tearing" where the upper areas of the screen will update at a different rate at the bottom areas of the screen and this is quite visible when you're moving faster, so that might or might not cause issues.

As for the backup file count... tbh, with how LOL the backup system is, I almost wonder if manually backing up the folders at the beginning of play isn't a better solution altogether.

3. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

My config for some reason, doesn't like to be screwed with. Setting it to read only, managed to acomplish CTD's and nothing more.

It's not our hardware, it's just forked up programming.

Did everything, and game now didn't want to go above 20 fps. Worth a shot, but naah. Not gonna sacrifice the FPS RNG I had. Even if barely, it still sometimes goes back to 60. xD

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  4. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, then we may need a answer from one of the devs to proof that the software really is more focused on the game itself rather than performance.

5. RadiCalvo

RadiCalvo Intergalactic Tourist

I reported the same issuea in another thread: http://community.playstarbound.com/...30-seconds-except-player.120993/#post-2980273

I'll simply copy/paste my specs (Added the OS versions):
    • Quad Core Q8300, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD6850, Win 7 x64 (Playing since early acces from about june 14 2015, dissasembled at the momment)
    • I7 2600K, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 650, Win 7 x64 and Win 10 x64 (Current PC and game build up to date)
    And add to the equation that I'm currently running a dedicated server in my current PC and the problems keeps coming back... from early access to current day I'm having the same issue the "freeze/delay" cames at random intervals from 30 to 45 seconds, or sometimes not present for about 5 minutes and sometimes even every 10 seconds.

Tryed every tip in this thread, what I'm left to try is installing a new PC spare PC and run it from a clean installation the server and see what's happen, and I'll do it in the week. meanwhile my universe is laggy for me and my friends :(

6. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Silverdagger I remember this being an issue in earlier versions of the game, although I experienced it a lot more often back than than now (it still happens)
    If this actually does help the problem than it could mean starbound is using up all your cpu resources when saving the game and making backups leaving nothing for the game to calculate and run. I didn't think it makes them during gameplay though.
    Possibly installing the game on an SSD drive could help since they have much faster write speeds (there would probably still be a bit of a stutter but for a very short time), while an old HDD will likely bottleneck your i7 cpu when it comes to saving.
    Not that the issue is related to your hardware, stabound should probably spread the load more equally when saving or maybe only use 1 core for it (if that's in fact the issue here) but I'd be curious if having it on an SSD would make an improvement.

Also vsync shouldn't really have any effect on it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016