Getting AI to location

Discussion in 'Custom Content' started by amcneel, Feb 3, 2019.

1. amcneel

amcneel Space Hobo

Hi,

My win condition is for player 1 commander (human) and player 2 commander (AI ally) to both be at a set location. There is no other win condition. But, my AI ally will either go after enemies or, barring that, sit immobile.

Conditions: "Does player 1 have exactly 1 of any commander at location 2" this is repeated for the other AI player as well
    Actions: "Award victory to player 1" also repeated for AI player (I thought it would motivate them....)

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
    I'd like to make more progress in my epic campaign :'(!
    Thanks!

Axe Garian likes this.
    • Werefoxz

Werefoxz Space Hobo

From the looks of things there's no way for you to make the AI move to any specific location. The best option available that would technically have the same effect would be to teleport the unit to that spot once a certain condition is met.

amcneel likes this.
      • amcneel

amcneel Space Hobo

That's unfortunate. But, thanks for the idea. I'll see how I can manipulate the teleportation mechanic to make it appear that the AI ally was heading there. Shame, in terms of narrative. Perhaps, I'll place more enemies around the desired location. Thanks for the reply.

• Werefoxz

Werefoxz Space Hobo

Of course, glad to help. Still trying to learn the editor myself there are things I wish I could do but can't as well, so I get the confusion with stuff.

amcneel likes this.
          • Lupinos

Lupinos Lucky Number 13

Yeah I also struggled with that problem already. I wanted a neutral unit to follow the player to the throne hall on a map. But there seems to be no way to manage this.
            Maybe time to suggest some improvements for the editor. ^^

amcneel likes this.
            • Werefoxz

Werefoxz Space Hobo

Currently my interest has been in the cutscene creation tool, and using campaign flags to track unit deaths between missions as a way of implementing perma death of commander units.

amcneel likes this.
              • amcneel

amcneel Space Hobo

Yea. Using flags and counters, especially across different maps, to do those kinds of things are great....but super hard to know how to implement. I like Chucklefish's mini sample guide, but I'd love more of an extensive guide. Or even, more of those samples.

• Fawxkitteh

Fawxkitteh Phantasmal Quasar

Best I've found in attempting to make an enemy patrol path is to make a location that's shaped like tube and make it unpathable for the AI.
                  I think I had to set their AI to aggressive also so they'll attempt to get out and attack me..
                  They attempt to go around it by heading toward the one opening.
                  Then I have the location center on them so it's constantly pushing them.
                  Then if you want them to turn you have another location that, when they reach it, removes the location that is following them and use a new location oriented differently.

It's... way more hoops than I want to jump through.
                  It'd be nice to have an "order AI to location" command.

One could also probably spawn enemy Villagers at a location at the start of the AI's turn so they go to attack them, then remove the Villagers at the end of their turn and lead them along like Pac-man dots, but it's not particularly pretty. Probably easier, haven't tried it yet, but you run the risk of them getting side tracked and/or moving to the side of the Villager for "better" positioning.