Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by givemeaname373, Jul 9, 2018.

1. givemeaname373

givemeaname373 Void-Bound Voyager

When you sign up for an account on this website, unspecified is the default gender. In the game, you have to choose male or female. It would be more inclusive to include an other category. Especially since gender doesn't really come into play other than the grandfather says "granddaughter" or "grandson" which, you know could be "grandchild".

HansHohenheim likes this.
    • HansHohenheim

HansHohenheim Void-Bound Voyager

Gender comes into play for marriages as well.
      Same-Sex Marriages will result in Lewis saying "Man and... Man!" or "Wife and... Wife!", as well as when it comes to conception/adoption.
      Being M/F can result in small changes to the game. When it comes to the other category, it is difficult to be inclusive with the concept of conception/adoption, because you cannot be sure in that sense if the person is able to conceive or if they must do adoption as the route. Nit-picky, but it is a small detail I believe ConcernedApe takes a good look into. Especially considering the amount of detail he already has in the game.

Though, I am for inclusion! It would be nice to a degree, so long as it has the stuff to work with it to make it seem in place.

CozyPoo and givemeaname373 like this.
      • Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

>.> really this is something to get worked up about now?

• HansHohenheim

HansHohenheim Void-Bound Voyager

Worked up?

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

who is getting worked up aside from you? it is a legitimate question that hurts no-one to ask :rofl:

HansHohenheim and givemeaname373 like this.
            • farmerjack

farmerjack Void-Bound Voyager

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Let's keep it civil and on-topic, people. This line of discussion isn't achieving anything.

HansHohenheim likes this.
              • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

thankyou farmerjack ^^

farmerjack likes this.
                • UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I am curious. The only things the selected gender does in the game that I am aware of are.

1. The pronouns used for referring to your character.
                  2. Which door you enter in the spa.

Am I missing anything?

And how does the mod handle those ?

Do you just get an interface to ask for "preferred pronouns" and "preferred spa door?"

and then it's all ok ? Or does the mod add a 3rd door ?

• captain kaltz+

captain kaltz+ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...or you can just read the mod page and you'll see how it works? i mean upload_2018-7-11_18-5-21.png

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

You'll have to forgive me if my grasp of the english language does not allow me to get all of my answers from that generic description and instead was interested in hearing from some-one who had used it and the interface of the mod.

For example.

That doesn't answer my question. Saying "it changes the pronouns" doesn't tell me if I get choices for the pronoun or if I'm stuck with the equally offensive "they or them" when I prefer "ze". -Or as I asked more pointedly. What the pronoun was ....

And the mod allows you to use either door. Is that Either door is available until you use one, or you can use both? -either once, or either each time. ??

Also, we left out, that girls get $500 from their dads and boys get cookies from their mom. Does this mod address that? Do I get a choice of either, neither or both?

We also left out that certain npc say different things to different gender farmers. How does the mod decide which text you get ?

Unanswered questions my friend. unanswered questions. But thanks for trying to help.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
                      • captain kaltz+

captain kaltz+ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

okay, sorry then, can't help any more. now i see the your problem with it
                        though about door it says "both"? so i guess it means that it means - both? like it's just disables any restrictions on both of them? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Frougie

Frougie Yeah, You!

Gender neutral? Whats that?
                          Really i live in Egypt, what you on about?
                          You mean removing the option of being male or female? But i kinda like this option that you can play with a male or female charecter?

Ok i read about it on the web, and i will keep my silence on the subject.
                          But i am gonna say one thing, i am a muslim man that play the game with a female character, i dont get insulted when the text is SHE because i play a female “virtual” charecter. Also, i am not insulted that the game doesnt have “salam Alekoum” greeting becase i dont want to change the world around me to accommodate what i am.
                          Also, what is a persons sex orr gender has to do with a game charecter anyhow? Its not me that living in stardew valley its a virtual charecter.
                          I am sorry if i offended anyone but i couldn’t believe that such a thing exists.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
                          • Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Firstly, please don't double-post. Use the edit button if you need to expand a post, instead of stacking multiple posts back-to-back.

Secondly, I've already issued a statement on this thread about keeping things on-topic. This thread isn't the place to hold the sort of debate you're starting. It's for discussing a suggestion, not the wider topic.

Zosa likes this.
                            • Frougie

Frougie Yeah, You!

My Apologies, i just couldnt handle it..

• Mitchy moo

Mitchy moo Space Hobo

Hey there just wanted to add on to this suggestion, male and female refers to sex, not gender. maybe adding a secondary setting for gender would alleviate these issues, it would have the added benefit of being able to play as trans if you so chose.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

that would be lovely but would it screw with the game's check system?

• Mitchy moo

Mitchy moo Space Hobo

I imagine that if you chose woman for your gender but male as your sex the game would register your character as a female while using a male model and vice versa, honestly I can't think of any instances where you're character is referred to with any sort of gendered pronouns. I think your grandpa may refer to you as grandson or granddaughter but beyond that I'm not sure if there are too many differences in dialogue.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

a few npcs gender you when you talk to them but i mean since there seems to only be one check right now there could be issues turning that single check(m/f) into two checks(m/f+base-used)

• Mitchy moo

Mitchy moo Space Hobo

Possibly, I don't program so I can't accurately say how easy it would be.