1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated GardenBot 1.2.0 [20140424]

Automated Gardening Robots that work for YOU

1. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

tynaut submitted a new mod:

GardenBot - Automated Gardening Robots that work for YOU

Read more about this mod...

ravenvalentine likes this.
  2. Xentor Antarix

Xentor Antarix Ketchup Robot

Wow cool, that is a very good idea, especial when you have big greenhouses like needed for the Stimlab Mod.
    *thumbs up*

3. Huckleberry Len

Huckleberry Len Void-Bound Voyager

This seems very promising, cant wait to try it out.

4. apotheoseGrifter

apotheoseGrifter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Very nice idea! Automated farming is definitely something that's needed in this game. Does it work with Persistent Farmables? If so, do the robots harvest crops even while you're away?

Hm... I realize this is very much in beta, but I feel this isn't quite Tier 1 material. Do you plan on rebalancing it later?

QUICKEDIT: Oh, and nice spritework, too! I like how the crop bin fills up in the screenshots, and the robot is adorable.

5. Xentor Antarix

I doub, because when you are away the chunks are not loaded.
    PF does only work because it transfers the realpassed timestamp of the game to the seeds.
    the robots must move "real".
    So they can not while the chunk is not loaded...

6. apotheoseGrifter

apotheoseGrifter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, right, I'd forgotten about that. Nevermind, then.

7. Huckleberry Len

Huckleberry Len Void-Bound Voyager

Ok, I let the mod run for an hour. It worked very well, although when I threw seeds at them, they placed it in the collection box. But once I planted them myself, there were zero issues ad I just laid in a bed and afk'ed the hour. I didn't use Persistent Farmables, so the crops didn't grow the fastest watching them, but for those that did it worked very well. They aren't the most perceptive, sometimes they would hang up at a spot for a min or two or go past a ready crop a few times but it didn't last long. And I was happy that they even managed to deal with multiple crops with different widths.... i.e. rice and wheat for the same bot, and it still planted both, although in varying amounts each rotation based off space available and what popped first. All in all, it worked very well for me for a first release. Cant wait to see how it evolves.

8. shadowthh

shadowthh Aquatic Astronaut

after about 1 hour of testing the bots dont seem to pick up sugar replant corn and they place the seeds in the bin before they have time to replant

9. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will take a look at the issue with the seeds going into the bin. Picking up sugar is an easy fix.

Also thank you for the feedback about rebalancing, I definitely will move this to a higher tier once I have clean up some issues and have things in a good place. It certainly should be part of the game's progress, after working hours in a garden, and not something you can pop out at the beginning of the game.

As far as Persistent Farmables, I have not tested any compatibility between the mods, however I am aware of how PF works. PF does use your computer clock, instead of ticks in the game, and the robots won't be running during that time, however as soon as you load the planet, I certainly could have all of the crops at harvest time for the robots. I started working on this mod prior to the most recent patch, in which Chucklefish added the ability to script and interact with ALL objects. This was a significant change, because it meant I could extend the current vanilla crops, instead of change them to wired objects (like doors and such) which had scripts. PF converted crops to wired objects, and until yesterday had not been updated, so I opted to not check for any compatibility. I wanted to stick with slightly altering the vanilla objects instead of recreating a new wired approach. I'll check in to see if PF will switch to the same approach, but if not, at some point I will definitely add support for GardenBot to harvest crops from PF as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. Xentor Antarix

Perhaps would it be posisble to tell them somehow where to go around?
    It is real cute to see, but my bots tend to run from the garden in the workbench area or the kitchen and wusel around there.
    And hehe when you have let say a multi culture on your greenhous e(several plants on one growplace) it becoems real a bit hmm chaotic :)
    So would be cool if you could tell them shomehow from where to where to collect. (than we can seperae the bots by Plantsection...)

11. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

Sure, that sounds like a great idea. I"ll look into adding markers / bounds for the bots in a future release. For now, my best suggestion is to add a two high block wall between them, as the bots should not be able to jump, and should ignore things that are not in line of sight (similar to the mod screenshot where I have lips at the edges to prevent them from jumping off the ledge).

12. Xentor Antarix

*nodS* I know, Was only a suggestion :)
    Because the Mod is real cool.

13. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

tynaut updated GardenBot with a new update entry:

Garden Bot Bug fixes

Read the rest of this update entry...

14. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

Thank you so much! :laugh: Really can't express how much I appreciate this, and all the feedback from everyone

15. telles0808

telles0808 Cosmic Narwhal

I use Compact Crops MOD, it's possible to have your MOD compatible with it?

16. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

I'll take a look at it. Right now, I'm not happy with the way the crops are placed, I always see lots of holes. I think if I improve it, then it might automatically work with Compact Crops as well. At least that's my hope. This is definitely one of my highest priorities right now, so hopefully.

17. klara2013

klara2013 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

really cool mod.... with a big farm its much much easier now, thanks.

little question... can this little helper collect more than seed and plants ??? maybe pixel ??
    the birds above my garden where killed by the turret and leave much pixel around. :D :D

Ramones_fan likes this.
  18. Starmi

Starmi Pangalactic Porcupine

Fantastic mod. I'm using it with an Ore farming mod, and thay plant the seeds fine, but so far do not seem to be harvesting them.

19. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

What's the name of the mod? I'll take a look at it and see where the incompatibilities are.

20. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man