1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Resolved Game wont start, what i have found

Discussion in 'Support' started by tevashi, Feb 27, 2016.

1. tevashi

tevashi Lucky Number 13

so i bought this game a couple of hours ago and it refused to start, so i have been searching the web far and wide but i havent found a solution yet.

what i have found tho, whenever the game dosent start i get an error log in the %appdata% folder of the game which states:

Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
    InnerException:
    Stack Trace: at StardewValley.Game1..ctor()
    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

and searching about this error msg all i found was that it probebly had something to do with .NET framework or XNA.. so i have tried re installing both .NET framework and XNA 4.0 and 3.1 but nothing works.

i have also tried reinstalling the game several times and restarting the computor after each reinstall of all the programs listed above.. if some one with more experience with this care to help out please do !

• jazha

jazha Space Hobo

I tried launching the game from steam, not working, no error message.
      I tried launching it from the gamefolder, not working, no error message.

I tried installing NET4.0 Framework, error message saying I already have it or a greater version installed.
      I tried installing XNA4.0, installer ends in error, no error message to be found.

I tried making the StardewValley folder in %appdata% , no error messages there.

I run Windows 10 64-bit, fully updated.

Specs:
      i7-3720QM
      680M GTX
      16GB RAM

Please assist me to find a solution.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
      • knallfrosch277

knallfrosch277 Intergalactic Tourist

I solved this problem doing following:

Using http://www.dll-files.com/ download the following:

msvcp100.dll 64 bit
        msvcp100.dll 32 bit
        msvcr100.dll 64 bit
        msvcr100.dll 32 bit

Place the 32 bit files in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Place the 64 bit files in C:\Windows\System32

That may not look right, but System32 is the 64 bit folder and SysWOW64 is the 32 bit folder.

• jazha

jazha Space Hobo

Hello,

these files are already present in my folders, and they match MD5sum with the files from dll-files.com.

Thank you for the suggestion, still looking for a solution :)

• jazha

jazha Space Hobo

After 4 restarts, and a validate of the game files, it now booted, I have no idea what fixed it, probably some windows hidden update crap .. Later!

• tevashi

tevashi Lucky Number 13

• Teoplutus

Teoplutus Void-Bound Voyager

same problem!

• tevashi

tevashi Lucky Number 13

• Teoplutus

Cant find anything and tried to uninstall and install everything, same as you... want to play so hard!

• Teoplutus

anyone?

• Chaz630

Chaz630 Space Hobo

im having the same problem, mine says:

InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Failed to load XnaNative.dll. Please verify that you have the XNA Framework installed.
                    at ImportXnaNativeMethod((fnptr)* method, SByte* methodName)
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.NativeMethods.CreateDecompressionContext()
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.DecompressStream..ctor(Stream baseStream, Int32 compressedTodo, Int32 decompressedTodo)
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.PrepareStream(Stream input, String assetName, Int32& graphicsProfile)
                    Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.PrepareStream(Stream input, String assetName, Int32& graphicsProfile)
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Create(ContentManager contentManager, Stream input, String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
                    at StardewValley.Game1.LoadContent()
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
                    at StardewValley.Game1.Initialize()
                    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
                    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

• Chaz630

Chaz630 Space Hobo

• Bendie

Bendie Intergalactic Tourist

doenst work for me.

• Bendie

Bendie Intergalactic Tourist

it doesn't show an error, i see it opened in taskmanager, but after like 10seconds it is closing itself

In the %appdata%/Stardew Valley folder i get this error as a .txt file:

Message: Die Datei oder Assembly "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. ist keine zulässige Win32-Anwendung. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
                        InnerException:
                        Stack Trace: bei StardewValley.Game1..ctor()
                        bei StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

It says that "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll" or a dependence is missing.
                        already tried to install xna4.0. still doesnt work. also i replaced some .dll files in SysWOW64 and System32 ...
                        restarting the steam and computer doesnt help, too

I am running Windows 10 with a GTX 970 and have 8GB ram.

• Welskie

Welskie Space Hobo

After the patch/update StardewValley would not launch from Steam,no errors,so I did everything above and more. Last resort was to roll back my PC and it worked (deleted all stardew file's first, even the %appsdata% and the all steam files) Hope this work's too for you guys/gal's. Wish I had done this in the first place.

• Daftnub

Daftnub Space Hobo

Sadly I've bought the game after the patch and so I have nothing to roll back to, I have tried the solutions stated above with no success.

Update: sometimes it will run in background while not taking up any cpu or memory.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
                            • Daftnub

Daftnub Space Hobo

R.I.P. thread

• JamesIV4

JamesIV4 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have this issue too... Tried reinstalling XNA and the game, restarted multiple times, nothing works. No log in appdata either, it just comes up in task manager and crashes without showing anything.

Edit: I don't think this is really resolved if people are still having the issue without a reliable solution.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
                                  TeseH71 likes this.
                                • JamesIV4

JamesIV4 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was able to fix it for me by creating a new user account and running it from there.

I got the idea because a Logitech installer had once had a bug that required that.

Hopefully this helps anyone who's still having the issue. It's not a true fix, but at least I'm playing the game.

• Mouzly

Mouzly Space Hobo

I am having the same issue and I don't think this is resolved either. I tried launching with Kaspersky off, I tried installing those things mentioned above, I uninstalled Steam, uninstalled the game several times as well. Tried fixing the game cache. Nothing seems to be working. Also creating a new user account doesn't do the trick.