1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Game won't start! Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geneify, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Geneify

Geneify Space Hobo

I recently bought the game, and for the last 3 hours I have been trying to open the game. It won't start, won't create a log, nothing. On steam, it says it is running for a few seconds, and then stops. I have tried multiple solutions posted online and have had no success. The most information I was able to get was to run SMAPI and get this message:

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'StardewModdingAPI.Constants' threw an exception. ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
    at StardewModdingAPI.Constants.GetGameVersion()
    at StardewModdingAPI.Constants..cctor() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Constants.cs:line 95
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at StardewModdingAPI.Constants.get_Platform() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Constants.cs:line 98
    at StardewModdingAPI.Constants.get_GameAssemblyName() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Constants.cs:line 101
    at StardewModdingAPI.Program.AssertMinimumCompatibility() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Program.cs:line 371
    at StardewModdingAPI.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Program.cs:line 114

I am on a windows 10 64-bit system.

I do have the XNA framework installed, and have reinstalled and restarted my computer multiple times. I have also tried reinstalling steam, reinstalling the game, reinstalling directx, reinstalling all the redistributables from Miscrosoft. Please help!

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

That error usually means your XNA Framework install is corrupt, which can be difficult to fix since it's part of Windows now. While it's possible to fix if you can figure out what the specific issue is, it's often simpler to reset or reinstall Windows outright if you can.