1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Game won't open!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Epikness, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epikness

Epikness Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, one of my friends gifted me this game on Steam as a Christmas gift and I was really excited to play it. Download is finished and I go into my Steam library and press "PLAY" Nothing happens. Press PLAY again. Nothing. I spam the button and I come up with Steam telling me that the game is already running, but it isn't. I've tried executing the desktop shortcut, running the game from inside the files, to no avail! Please help! I'm running Linux Xubuntu 12.04.

2. Slug

Slug Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, you gotta restart generally just after installing I've found. You tried that?

3. Epikness

Yes. I've uninstalled and reinstalled as well. It still won't open.

4. Slug

Slug Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's odd. Have you tried, after installing and rebootering, to run in opengl mode? is it giving you any errors in particular? Also; sometimes it takes a long time for the game to open, especially the first time / after updates

5. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

He's saying that not even the launcher is appearing.

6. Epikness

GreyMaria has the correct idea of my situation.

7. Slug

Slug Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh. That's... hm. I don't exactly know that one. I'm gonna see if I can launch it as a new install from my linux platform. Won't be long.

8. Epikness

What flavor of Linux do you have? Ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc...

9. Slug

Slug Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have Xubuntu 12.04 as you do, on my wee li'l laptop for no purpose other than I like doing computer things.

10. Epikness

Well, I'm completely befuddled with this predicament. I've tried copying libeay32.dll into the launcher folder but that hasn't helped at all.

11. Slug

Slug Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mine opened normally. There's gotta be a problem that we're not seeing. Hmm...

12. Epikness

I've Googled around and tried every "solution" there could possibly be. Verifying integrity of game files after each try of course. Starbound is still not opening.

13. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

if the launcher doesn't work you could go directly to the linux32/ directory and start the game manually

14. Epikness

Nothing. Doesn't work at all.

15. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

It isn't giving you any error message at all? That seems odd for Linux.

16. Epikness

If you consider Steam's "Failed to start game: App already running" message, then yes. Other than that, no.

17. Epikness

After setting it to run in console, I think that the problem might be that it launches but, crashes immediately afterwards. Anyway to maybe fix this?

18. RvLesh

Did it generate a starbound.log? I'm not sure where it is located on Linux... someone said it gets created in the linux32 or linux64 dir.

19. Epikness

Not that I know of. I've checked those two directories and the other folders within the Starbound folder and have found nothing relating to starbound.log.

20. RvLesh

Can you put the output from the console on pastebin, since it is at least crashing there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.