1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game will not start via Steam, Win32/64 bit exec work

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CyrusEpion, Aug 21, 2017.

1. CyrusEpion

CyrusEpion Void-Bound Voyager

Hey all,

Can someone or a dev please help? I've been Google searching and using the search function on this forum for the past few hours to find an answer to my issue.

Starbound is not running and crashing on load on my current workstation. Keep getting an access violation error. Have reinstalled Steam, Starbound, updated my Nvidia Drivers, updated C++ runtime, erased my entire Starbound folder with player saves, tried running without any mods subscribed in Workshop. Erased Workshop directory in steam... Nada.

I have been able to get the game to run via the Win32/64 executables in the Starbound folder (With Windows 7 compatibility enabled), but these will not use Steam thus not allowing any mods to load, which I really want. And even then, it does not always work, still crashing 9/10 times..

Here is a pastebin link with my Starbound log : https://pastebin.com/tK00MHZr

System specs are..
    Windows 7
    AMD 8350
    8 Gigs DDR3
    GTX 970 FTW

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Although this is totally wild assumption but: Take a look onto your mods and see if some mods have been removed on steam. It ***MAY*** be possible that a removed mod on steam causes this error in starbound.
    Some users encountered this error too but i haven't found a solution for it by now.

~ Iris ~

3. CyrusEpion

CyrusEpion Void-Bound Voyager

I just checked with and without the mods added, fresh install and all, with no luck... The only way I've gotten around to this, is running the game via the executables, with mods only being installed into the 'mods_go_here' directory, without Steam... Kind of a bummer because I would like to use Steam to play Starbound like all of my other Steam games. I'm stumped as to why this is happening. I can play Starbound with Steam on my laptop and other PC no problem. And I've played earlier versions of Starbound with Steam in the past on this PC with no issues.

I don't get it.