Game titles that need remakes with modern technology.

Discussion in 'Games' started by STCW262, Oct 19, 2016.

1. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The point of this thread came in the Games that need a sequel thread after the Fallout series was mentioned.
    Apart from the first 2 Fallout games, I personally would make a modernized remake of the Persona 2 Duology, since, althrough the plot is really complex (Along with being the darkest games even by Persona standards), gameplay-wise, they've aged quite a bit.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

And as I said in that thread, Morrowind needs an official re-make. It was such an awesome game, but yet it really shows its age with the horribly outdated UIs and game mechanics.

I am aware of the Skywind project, but I wonder just how faithful they can really get, lol.

Other games I'd like to see remade with modern technology (updating the graphics, but keeping as faithful to the original game as possible 'cept for fixing obvious problems like Morrowind's UI):

Might and Magic (not Heroes!) 1-5. Given how similar these games are, surely one could just make one engine and then just dump the game data in there, lol.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if/when I do I'll list them!

Jonesy likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Gotta agree on Morrowind. Get rid of the 'to hit' rolls and give it a proper journal with accurate directions, a decent map and maybe fast travel, and it'd be a hell of a lot more engaging from the start instead of only opening up mid-game.

Otherwise, I kind of want to see the original Thief games remade, but considering how the reboot went I don't know how well it'd go. There'd need to be a return to the series' roots in terms of design philosophy, but I can see it working. Better graphics and gameplay, but keeping the large levels and unique atmosphere.

On a similar note, Arcanum might be a good one. There aren't nearly enough steampunk RPGs around, and Arcanum's 'industrial revolution in a fantasy world' gives it an interesting setting I'd like to revisit. Just not sure if it should be another isometric game, or if it would be better suited to a switch to first-person.

Firebird Zoom and Chrillzilla like this.
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If we're talking more Steampunk... maybe Septerra Core? I actually have that on Steam but I never played it, lol. I've heard lots of good things about it, just never had the time to actually go do it.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  5. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

I agree with a total rebuild of Morrowind, that game needs it, not only to have it work on later systems, but also fix a majority of the bugs and quest/script conflicts.

Other games that need a rebuild:

Riven the sequel to Myst, this game is so old it barely runs on most computers and its still in the node based point and click format, were the original Myst has been remade a few times and has a 3D nav mode similar to an FPS.

I think a lot of people will agree with bringing Chrono Trigger back and possibly make it a 3D format, I know a small group tried to bring it back years ago, but Square Enix shut them down, yet this is the same company that majorly rebuilt Final Fantasy VII.

Firebird Zoom and STCW262 like this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I tried so hard to get into Morrowind, but I just couldn't because of the game's various systems.

And, lol, how BROKEN the game can be, esp if you get into Alchemy first thing.

They shoulda did what the AM2R team did; keep it mostly under wraps until it was all complete and then release it on several download sites at once so they can't kill it.

7. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

Agreed in all terms.
    Another one i'd like is Dune 2(000) . There's enough RTS engines and styles to make that one very impressive.

Star General. As it was back then, it was nearly unplayable due to... meh, many problems. Larger maps with, say six opponents, first AI turn took about 20minutes. Maps with about a hundred Planets are a lifetime job.

Firebird Zoom and Jonesy like this.
  8. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I must admit that I haven't played all that many old games, but there's still a few I'd like to see remade.

1: Red Alert and Red Alert 2. Red Alert Revelations is probably one of the first games I've ever played, and Red Alert 2 is one of my favorite games ever, certainly in the top 3. Seeing that remade would be a dream come true.
    1.5: Tiberian Sun is also in my top 10 list. On one hand I really liked it, on the other hand I never got past the first stealthish mission from the GDI campaign, and in skirmish the AI was too omnipresent. They were shelling my base with cyborg legions before I had my first refinery built.
    2: The Spyro games would be nice to see remade. I played the PS3 version but that was nothing like the original spyro's, which was a shame.
    Same goes for Crash Bandicoot.

Gee um, maybe Dungeon Keeper? I tried it a couple of days ago as it was on the house on Origin (omg heretiiiiiiiccc!) and the fact that it was emulating DOS to be able to play it was hilarious to me.
    ---------------------------------
    As for things already mentioned, a remake of Morrowind would be awesome. Preferably without the RNG with numbers so far against you your super op warrior that can tank dremora still get killed by rats because you keep missing. Also, I need a flak cannon mod against the cliff racers. I saw them on the Ashen Solstheim (It's what I call solstheim in dragonborn) in Skyrim and nearly crapped burning bricks of rage.

Would be cool if they remade several DLC's of the Fallout universe. The Operation Anchorage DLC was super cool, along with the Point Lookout one (If you could walk somewhere without it crashing every 5 minutes. (Which it did on the PS3)) and Mothership Zeta too. I also liked Zion Valley and the Old World Blues dlc from F:NV (Which were somewhat less crashy on the ps3)

A bit off topic, but anyone remember F3's Old Olney. Surefire way to crash your PS3, if the deathclaws weren't bad enough.

------
    On the other hand, whining of MUH 4K GRAPHICS is sure to piss me off within seconds.

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Pretty sure it's Retaliation, actually.

Don't know if 2 really needs a remake any time soon, since I personally think it's aged better than the earlier titles. But Tiberian Sun would definitely benefit from a modern remake. I just love the aesthetic, both for all the semi-futuristic tech and the world being slowly consumed by Tiberium. At times, it feels like you're not even on earth anymore, what with all the mutated lifeforms, bizarre atmospheric activity and space colony-like prefab settlements. I just wish they'd nerf those goddamn hunter-killer drones...

Xylia likes this.
  10. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Red Alert 2 looks good enough, don't get me wrong. But I would still like to see one, because I want to see all the flashes and explosions 'n stuff. Also to see what the buildings would look like when they aren't restricted to the limits of isometric images. No offense meant, Chucklefish. Your game is 10/10. When it runs with more than 15fps.

Tiberian Sun was awesome. I think the GDI mechs are my favorite mechs. Not that you'd ever need them. Just make yourself an army of disc throwers and cackle maniacally as they bomb everything to oblivion. And again, skirmish AI was a little too omnipresent and a little too fast. As for the hunter-killer drones, I don't remember them being THAT OP? They target a random unit and destroy it? I mean, you couldn't stop them but chances were they took the worst of your units and then it had to recharge.
    Nowhere near as bad as RA2's Soviet Terror Drones

It's just a shame that when it went from Westwood to EA it went from somewhat technological to full on futuristic. Same with Red Alert 3.
    Aliens are invading? Kane is dead but not dead but he is an alien but what the actual hell is happening with the lore no stop it stop it STOOOPPPPP.

PEACE THROUGH POWER. KANE LIVES IN DEATH.
    [​IMG]

Jonesy likes this.
  11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, Red Alert 2 still looks rather good graphics-wise, though I do not know if it runs OK on modern OS's, some engine/code updates might be needed there.

Last time I played that was way back on WindowsXP, lol...

EDIT: And Red Alert 3 shows us why remaking Red Alert 2 would be a bad idea... it went from being reasonable to being almost full-on satire with boobs boobs BOOBS everywhere. It stopped being a serious game and was just a giant piece of eyecandy for men. I wouldn't want to see Red Alert 2 being degraded into a breast-laden satirical thing, to be honest.

Jonesy likes this.
  12. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I uh, uhhh
    uhhh

What?
    I might've not done much of the story so I presume these boobs are found in the campaign videos? I've not noticed many boobs in skirmish battles.

As for Red Alert 2, I dunno?
    I played RA2 on a Windows 7 ultimate PC and that worked just fine, except that the game was kinda zoomed in a lot, probably because it didn't support the screen resolution. And I played the Mental Omega mod on Windows 10 not 3 days ago, which also ran fine. Mental Omega has more resolution options, so it looked fine on a 1600x900 screen. Note that this is not a fix as the mod has hugely different units, structures, maps, and a pretty brutal AI even on normal. It does have a standalone launcher, so there's that.
    {shameless advertising
    I suggest checking it out sometime :D
    /shameless advertising}

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

What were you playing if you weren't playing the story? Multiplayer? I suppose there is that, but I'm not a fan of PvP games IMO.

But yes, the Single-Player Campaign.... you know that girl that tells you what your next mission is? Doesn't matter which faction you play for, everybody's wearing extremely low-cut shirts and pushup bras, and then Tanya seems like she's wearing even MORE skimpy shirts than she did in RA2 and she's constantly leaning forward towards the camera.

They didn't even TRY to be subtle about it, even the American..errr.....Allied girl has several buttons undone on her outfit just to make her breasts pop out. It's really eye-rolling to be honest.

Eh, if it has a "brutal AI" then I probably won't be checking it out. I play games for enjoyment, not frustration.

14. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

There's still easy AI mode. It's not as much "brutal" on normal as that it still remembers there's a war going on, and thus it sends actual squads instead of 5 people or 2 tanks at a time.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

What I hate in those kinds of games is when enemies magically create more units than they should (OR faster than they should, before you even have time to properly set up, you're getting pestered by units that should not exist yet), to send in larger waves than they should be able to. That, and enemy "players" (the AI obviously) seems to have infinite money in most games, OR they outright cheat (Warcraft 3...) and do things that no human player could possibly do.

It just makes the game feel cheap rather than fun and enjoyable.

NaiJi likes this.
  16. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Kind of missed the rest of the post somehow. Good going, me.
    I've never played Tiberian Sun, nor Red Alert 2 nor 3 multiplayer. I wasn't a good enough played in my own opinion to try that. My tactics mainly consist of building a fortress and then building up an army and then steamroll it. Or if I was Yuri I'd just build enough Floating Discs to make aliens jealous.
    As for the campaign, again, I didn't play it enough to really bear witness to the full plethora of supposed boobs. And the movies I did see I managed to keep my attention to what they were saying well enough apparently, as I cannot remember boobs at all.

17. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

It's not as much as I think they are able to cheat or work faster than we are by altered settings for them, as that they're so omnipresent that they don't have to look around the map. They have no, I dunno, AI eye or something that limits their view. And they do not have to think of tactics, they just know what to do. And because they know what to do all the time they can immediately make a 100 unit army change their course.
    They are not limited like a human player is.

As for Warcraft 3, hell yes, also top 10. Same problem as other RTS games though, the AI is not limited like a human player. They can pick what units do what, build what, use what ability, research or train what, or buy what, all at the same time.

Not cheating.
    Not human.
    Omnipresent.
    Not limited.

Guess I'm derailing the thread pretty hard. I'll drop the topic now.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, just one more thing about WC3: I once snuck a unit up to their base.

When Orcs or Humans take from a mine, if a human is playing, the mine loses 100 gold and 100 gold is added (unless you got upkeep penalties going).

When an AI-controlled Orc or Human takes from a mine, the mine loses ONE SINGLE GOLD.

That means if you start with a 10,000 mine and they start with a 10,000 mine, they basically have 1,000,000 gold to your 10,000 gold. That's downright cheating, and I can only surmise that they are going "How DARE the players try to win by war of attrition!" because somehow that's now a forbidden tactic in RTS games or something despite it being used RL a few times.

19. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I never really paid attention to the mining rates. I presume the reasoning behind is that a human player can then make use of mines previously used by the AI to create other bases...

Yeah right, like that'd be the reason. I'm too optimistic right?
    I'll shaddup now.

20. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

I'd prefer a Fallout:New Vegas + DLC remake any day over Skyrim's...
    Maybe one for Dragon Quest IX too

NaiJi likes this.