1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game runs impossibly slow after 1.4

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Starblade7, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Starblade7

Starblade7 Aquatic Astronaut

I'm running into a dead end here. I've tried a lot of different things. Let me explain my set up and problem first:

System: AMD FX-8320 8-core, 16GB DDR3 RAM, nVidia GTX 970, Windows 7 Home. Video Card Drivers up to date
    Starbound version: 1.4.1
    Mods: NONE
    Vsync: Off
    Steam Overlay: Off
    Texture limit and monochrome lighting options: ON

Pastebin of latest starbound.log: https://pastebin.com/NGPa3waR

Now that we got that info out of the way, please help me get to the heart of the issue.

Prior to 1.4, the game ran fine. Not great, but adequate to be enjoyable. I play with my wife and her brothers and they are not experiencing any slowdowns on their systems. We play on another computer we have set up to be our server, but they are not experiencing any issues whatsoever. The server runs fine for them. I'm the only one having a problem. I have also tried just trying to run a game local to my PC. No change.

Firstly, Starbound takes about 3-5 minutes to launch now. The little round fish Chuckles, and then I get the little rotating space academy rotating as though loading the game, and this process then takes 3-5 minutes. The game sounds seem fine, they aren't slow or stutter at all. When I click on my character in character selection, there's noticeable lagging. Then when I pick one and then load the game, the game loads (slowly) and then everything in the game moves like honey. The mouse cursor is slow to update, my actions are all delayed, and the animations are very sluggish, although the sounds play fine. It was not like this at all prior to 1.4. I've tried it on several characters on other planets to make sure things like rain or object counts are slowing it down. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, wiping and resetting my configurations, I even tried a couple of those optimizer mods, and none of those changed a thing. I've since removed those mods. My system handles all other games without issue.

I've posted it on Reddit and the only useful comment I've gotten there was that this is a known issue, but I can't find any known issue documentation, nor can I find anyone who has a similar problem that I have (besides generic slowdowns and the like).

Any additional insight or things to try are very welcome. I am getting close to my wits end, so I apologize if this post seemed a little tense. Thanks

2. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Somehow turning texture limit to OFF works better than ON for me...

3. Starblade7

Starblade7 Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah, that's bizarre to me. The optimization in this game makes no sense

4. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Hehe never heard of it... ; n; *dies inside*

Starblade7 likes this.