1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game performance (Lags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cat_Fuzz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Bixxewoschd

Bixxewoschd Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everyone. Count me to it. Still having micro-stuttering (game pauses like for 1-2 seconds) problems - since post-release. Sometimes with a patch they made it better, with the next patch they made it worse. Up and down, up and down...

So i guess, it's really the problem of the game/engine/code and DEVS need this fixed ASAP.

And all those "No answers from dev-team" ... well... Chucklefish what the FIRETRUCK happend to you ... turning into some AAA+ Companies that doesn't give a SH*T about their customers?

2. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

You're doubtful to find any actual help from the devs here, I don't remember the last time I saw them offer real support. I've been complaining for a while about a lot of things, namely the hitching I suffer whenever I walk near another player I haven't been around in the last few minutes and his/her character has to be loaded into memory. I got zero replies asking for help about that, same with the water and rain coming through off-screen blocks.

3. Bixxewoschd

Well, then we should tell all gaming and review sites about Chucklefish and how poorly they give support nowadays. Maybe when their reputation is down they will get off their high horses.

Silverforte likes this.
  4. Constantinople

Constantinople Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its interesting because most of the recent Steam reviews are positive, and overwhelmingly so. Even with the negative reviews, only a number of them mention the FPS problem. I don't know why this is, as this discussion topic seems to indicate that it is a problem for everyone and that the game is broken. If this were true for most people, there would not be so many good review on Steam. I don't know why it is a problem for some, and I agree that the developers not addressing the issue is irresponsible (after all, people want to know what the system requirements are before purchasing, and if those have changed since the last update, people need to know that), but I don't honestly know how many people it is affecting. If it was affecting everyone and Chuckle fish was refusing to say or do anything about it, while continuing to promote and market their broken and unplayable game, Chuckle Fish could get into trouble, or at least you would think that it would not have so many positive reviews.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  5. Zancuno

Zancuno Existential Complex

People are more likely going to rate positive on a game they love. Since most of the players were from the beta early access period, many were hoping high expectations. I have to say that beta was actually better than full release fps wise. I never had a problem with fps during it. Seeing how they haven't replied but once to this thread reminds me of Gaia Online. They were doing so well until 2014 when new management came in. They turned the site into a cash grab and failed to listen to their members. The old employees are forced to stay away from the members and focus only on profits. If Chucklefish is ignoring this community because it is in 1.0 now and they have less worries then honestly I would like a word with them. If they fail to communicate with the community that helped them build and form this game then they will follow the path of Gaia Online and ultimately fail. The community has been playing this game for years and helped build this game with mods and feedback. The community deserves better when it comes to this topic. Customer feedback on how a game plays is not just a minor thing but important to the entire aspect of the game.

Geezzz do I ramble on... although I have seen stuff like this before happen to great services. They think they have things under control since they reached a goal and tend to now do minor stuff and moderate. Sure they are working on console releases right now, which I would say fix the game first. Although their dedication to fixing Bugs and support on the forums here should not decrease. Our comments should be important.

I don't want to see this game fall like Gaia Online.

6. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

I created this thread and for me an aggregate score system being positive for this game is fair enough - prior to the lag I was thoroughly enjoying this game and it's currently the only issue I have with it (despite this issue having made me stop playing and switch to something else)

I am disappointed with the lack of feedback or acknowledgement that there is a problem, not even an 'okay, we'll look into it'. I don't think it's that common, but it is having an effect on some users. Not only are there a few threads on this issue here but on the subreddit and elsewhere there are reports of people having FPS drops post 1.0 and up. Little has been done to address it.

Not to sound entitled, but I'll be cautious buying a chucklefish product from now on, but I'd hope it can get fixed in a future patch, and hopefully devs are silently looking into it.

7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

They're looking into it and try to reproduce/figure out what is causing this but you must keep in mind that it is hard to fix something that can't be reproduced on a testing machine or additional machines that are used for checking this issue. People should also provide helpful information like:
    • pc specs
    • what software is running beside starbound
    • which os is used
    • which starbound executable is used (32bit or 64bit)
    • where they are (ship, planet, mission)
    • when it started to happen (e.g. lots of npc's onscreen)
    • are the drivers updated
    • which resolution is used
    • zoomlevel
    • fullscreen yes/no
    • borderless yes/no
    and so on instead of just ranting around without providing amy helpful information. Also it is always good to attach the logfile.
    Also i should mention that most people use extreme outdated hardware and wonder why it isn't working at all. Although starbound is a 2D-game doesn't mean that it don't need to fulfill any requirements.

I can totally understand people that they're angry because it doesn't work for them but this doesn't mean that the devs had the same problems during testing. If they had they would had fixed it. Also the devs are working on starbound all the time so they don't have much time to individually answer every topic and i can assure that they're reading the posts.

~ Iris ~

8. Silverforte

There was a post by them in June (I think, might be July) this year about post-1.0 framerate problems and that they were going to fix them. This game has always had framerate and memory problems and I think it's safe to say it always will.

9. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

First I've heard about it but good to know it's being looked at. That's all I needed.

10. Bixxewoschd

I don't believe in "blablabla" like this anymore, because developers and publishers are effing around with their customers too much lately, but here you go:

* Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30Ghz, 12 GB Ram
    * G-Data Antivirus (never caused any problems with Starbound since Early Beta or other games/programs)
    * Windows 7 Enterprise + Service Pack 1 + all Updates until today
    * 64bit executable of Starbound
    * while being on planets/missions
    * seems like this happens when it's loading the next section/part of a planet/map
    * drivers are up-to-date (graphics, mainboard, sound, flash, java, ...)
    * resolution used is 1360x768 (set to it manually with the starbound.config)
    * zoomlevel 3
    * fullscreen YES
    * borderless NO

Attached Files:

11. Iris Blanche

What drive is your starbound installed on (Sata II, Sata III, SSD and so on)?

~ Iris ~

12. Bixxewoschd

Installed on a "Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green 1TB". It runs on SATA or SATA II. Running under Windows 7, as said before, because i know that this harddrive may be slow under Windows XP. I never had a speed problem with this harddrive, in a game or a program or something, it just runs.It's in the NTFS-Format. It's cleaned from junk. I watch out for my system as best as i can, you know.

Don't tell me we need a effing high priced SSD for a game like Starbound -.- Please no. The lagging comes like 70% from the game itself. Because it's poorly written or coded, i don't know. Maybe it loads other unneccessary planets even if i'm not on this planet, but i don't think so.

As said, everything runs smooth, just Starbound has hickups every 2-3 minutes.

As i noticed from last playing, lags occur when:

- it tries to load a part of the planet you're on (very rare, never seen any planet parts just popping up because of a slow loading harddrive)
    - when you have one or more followers (sometimes, mostly quest-related)
    - when it calculates what to "drop" when you killed like "a enemy" (not often, but sometimes)
    - while terraforming (mining/building) stuff (sometimes, i guess because it has to calculate and render the planet area/section totally new, where you been terraforming)

Sorry for spelling mistakes!

13. Iris Blanche

Does it feel like a "lag" like in online games? So you can move normally but everything else is "stuttering"?
    Do you experience this behaviour on other drives (if present)?
    Do you experience this behaviour on a server?

~ Iris ~

14. Bixxewoschd

1. Yes.
    2. Other drives are present, but not tested (i don't like installing games on a external harddrive that is connected with USB to my pc).
    3. Yes. Hosted my own server, played with one friend on it.

15. Iris Blanche

Please try on another drive and if possible a ramdisk too. If it is the issue i suppose then i already gave a detailed report about it to @mollygos.
    hehe i tagged molly...i'm a naughty nep :nurunaughty:

~ Iris ~

16. Bixxewoschd

So, give us detailed information about this "detailed report" please. Again, the community steps into the black. Thanks for nothing :/

So i should download a app, create a virtual machine or ramdisk and try it there? Really? REALLY? How about NO!

Developers do your frickin' job, i payed.

17. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

There's no need to be so hostile and horrible to Iris. He's only trying to help you.

He has already explained to you that he has alerted Molly on this. I understand your frustration, but taking it out on other people is not a way to handle it. Please keep this in mind for future posts.

Some people are reporting FPS drops all over, from planets to the outpost. Whereas I for one have experienced no lag anywhere, Finding why yours lags and mine doesn't is not a simple task, as so many aspects on the game and the computer you run it on, the specifications and the Operating system all have to be added to the mix.

18. Silverforte

I apologize for this, but I find that very hard to believe. With a fresh install, no mods, an i5, 8 gigs memory, 2 gig gpu and an SSD with more than 35% free space, I'm getting framerate hiccups consistently especially whenever I approach other people online who were not currently loaded into my memory. There is no way it's my end.

19. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Guess I gotta repeat myself.

Theres no telling what is causing it. I run it perfectly fine when I had my GTX750 Ti installed with 16gb RAM, 6 core AMD processor on Windows 7 64 bit.

I gotta runto work

20. Qndrez

Qndrez Pangalactic Porcupine

Yesterday i shut every other app down, unplugged my second monitor and... it was fine.
    There was still very minimal lag only noticeable with the cursor. It was unplayable a couple weeks ago.

Like Hel says: who knows what's causing it.
    I'm gonna try again tonight.