1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Game freezes on mail open.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Viltaren, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Viltaren

Viltaren Void-Bound Voyager

I accidentally stayed up till the knock out time at my farm the night before, and now i have a piece of mail that crashes the game every time I open it.

I have some mods, but none that add items or item rewards. One that effects mail, but i took it out and it still happened.
    Verified game cache on steam already.
    Have tried running on vanilla, still occurs.

InnerException:
    Stack Trace: at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
    at StardewValley.GameLocation.mailbox()
    at StardewValley.GameLocation.performAction(String action, Farmer who, Location tileLocation)
    at StardewValley.GameLocation.checkAction(Location tileLocation, Rectangle viewport, Farmer who)
    at StardewValley.Locations.BuildableGameLocation.checkAction(Location tileLocation, Rectangle viewport, Farmer who)
    at StardewValley.Farm.checkAction(Location tileLocation, Rectangle viewport, Farmer who)
    at StardewValley.Game1.tryToCheckAt(Vector2 grabTile, Farmer who)
    at StardewValley.Game1.pressActionButton(KeyboardState currentKBState, MouseState currentMouseState, GamePadState currentPadState)
    at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateControlInput(GameTime time)
    at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

I temporarily got around it by reverting to the Savefilename_OLD

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    • MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Hrm, I tried recreating this with a test save on the Linux version but it hasn't crashed for me yet. Though, I might've gotten a different letter for passing out, or the game code is just a bit different between versions.
      In your savefile though; there should be a small bit of code starting with "<mailbox>" and ending with "</mailbox>". That's your mail for the day. You should be able to delete the problematic letter.

After passing out mine looked like this:

<mailbox>
      <string>hatter</string>
      <string>pierreBackpack</string>
      <string>passedOut 50</string>
      </mailbox>

-------
      "<string>passedOut 50</string> " was the line I needed to delete. Could you paste what yours looks like? I want to see if it crashes mine.
      Anyway, this'll fix the save this time around. Hopefully, we can narrow down the cause and get it reported so CA can fix it in the next update.

• Viltaren

Thank you for the response!

My set looks like this
        <mailbox>
        <string>passedOut 50</string>
        </mailbox>

I ended up avoiding it by using the backup save and just making sure not to pass out, but I still have the broken save so any questions you have i can probably look into.

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for pasting that, Viltaren. Glad you were able to work around it too. I know there's a few different letters you can receive for passing out. But, that's all covered in the 'mail.xnb' file; since you said you removed the mail mod and verified the game integrity already. It's likely just a bug in the game code. So, I'm not too sure of a long term fix other than hoping it gets patched in the next update.

• Viltaren

I pretty much solved it on my end with reverting and just not passing out, but i do feel bad i couldn't do more to help point out the bug.

Thank you for your wonderful help though!