1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Game erases optical wires

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by SeaJay, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Current wiring system has some pretty serious issues. Wires above a certain length will disappear if you move away then come back.

How to reproduce:
    • Make a long wire, about a screen's width with 2x zoom, between a button and bulb
    • Move several screens away, or save and quit
    • Return to find that the wire has probably been 'forgotten' by the game
    I've managed to replicate this on uncolonised planets that contain no wires whatsoever. I have a friend with the same issue.

Also, if you make very large contraptions containing 100+ wires in one screen, move away and come back, some will be missing, even ones that aren't particularly long.

Edit: I did a test by making this "harp":

[​IMG]

Then I ran ~15 screens away and came back to find this:

[​IMG]

Could this be due to wires not saving properly across chunks?

Specs:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 520M
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    (Don't laugh.)

log:
    http://pastebin.com/1E8XFv7s

Also, while i'm here, Small Wall Switch seems to be missing from the in-game recipes. I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    Walfan, Dansec and Nagazuhl like this.
  2. xMab

xMab Intergalactic Tourist

I am currently dealing with this exact issue. A good example can be seen below in a imgur album, where most of my wiring goes away when I unload a area.

http://imgur.com/a/90GFy

edit: was going to put in my log file, but seems its too large for a regular pastebin account. Any help on this?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  3. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

4. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I also noticed that problem while trying to kit out a sci fi base exactly like the one you live in.

5. Nagazuhl

Nagazuhl Orbital Explorer

Sparky_03_04.JPG
    Same problem here. Made a 5 button combination lock with reset buttons and an alarm. But some of the wiring disappears when the world shuts down or the chunk unloads. Seems to be random which wires disappear but it's always some of the longer ones.

Toxxi likes this.
  6. Braethias

Braethias Big Damn Hero

I had some bit of wiring keep detaching, but it wasn't more than a few tiles away.

Also, that seems entirely overly complicated for a door when you could just mow down the door. o.o

7. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

But more importantly it's fun.

8. Toxxi

Toxxi Space Hobo

9. XaosWolf

XaosWolf Void-Bound Voyager

I posted a thread with much the same issue, though it didn't seem to be length that was the problem.
    Though mine is on my ship, and is caused by warping.

Goes from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

And finally, this:
    [​IMG]

Very annoying! =P

10. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Yep, having this same issure too. Someone please tell me this is in the works for a fix? It's been plaguing me since the beginning of the beta and it's now a real issue since I don't have to worry about my base being wiped (knock on wood)

11. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Ahhh, really? In the latest version, too? I totally thought it was going to be fixed in Furious Koala, but I guess it didn't make it into the patch. They said they would fix it though in their "In the upcoming patch" post though...

12. Phil2812

Phil2812 Master Chief

Definitely still an issue. Some things are unwired after going to another planet and back.
    What's interesting though, is that it seems like the game is removing random wires that cross a certain vertical line (maybe some sort of "chunk" boundary) for me.
    I have 32 (4 rows, 8 columns) toggle flipflops and they are all staying wired, except for the leftmost in each row (the wire that gets removed seems random there).

13. psrkallez06

psrkallez06 Void-Bound Voyager

Yes this is a big issue for me. Any fix/mod for it yet? Or do we have to wait until the next update? Thanks.

14. Raider480

Raider480 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Confirming that this is still an issue. I could take some screenshots if wanted, but my defense turrets, wired to a switch, are losing their wiring after leaving the area or quitting.

15. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

Well there are blog posts on the frontpage which clearly point out that work on the wiring system has be done, so this issue will hopefully be fixed in the next update.
    no need to necro this thread ;P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.