1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Game Crashes on Respawn?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Stingerman06, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stingerman06

Stingerman06 Orbital Explorer

Playing on version: Glad Giraffe - Update 1

I progressed kinda far on one of my characters and I got decent gear, I wanted to test DPS with a few weapons on the Floran Party mission, which I repeated the mission. I died to a standard NPC on my way through and the game somehow refused to re-spawn me in my ship, or re-spawn me at all. Every time it attempts to re-spawn me at the ship, the game itself closes out, no message box shows up either on the close. This includes starting the game back up and re-selecting the same character. I really don't want to delete this character and work on new characters. I'm able to start a new character, die and re-spawn like normal without much care.

This has only happened on the one character, but I would assume the game would do this on dying on a repeated mission that S.A.I.L. transports you to. I only died once on repeating a mission from all my characters, and this was the outcome. Dying on the mission that isn't repeated re-spawned me like normal.

EDIT: I took into notice, I spawned without health, or I'm attempting to spawn without health on character load. This seems to be what I see as far as the update on the issue goes. All other characters spawn with health on start-up.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If you can, use a healing item before you crash.

3. Stingerman06

Using items does nothing. My character doesn't start off visible at all, and I cannot move, or use any items. However I can scroll freely through my items I have on my hotbar. I have roughly 8 seconds until the game closes on it's own after the game loads the ship, HUD and the basics when loading the game, except the character itself. I should have mentioned this in my post.

4. Stingerman06

SOLUTION!!!

Within the duration I had to spawn, I simply used the following method to fix this crash.

In rapid succession, I was able to hit "ENTER"/"RETURN" then typed the following, followed by "ENTER"/"RETURN" again.

/suicide

What this did was forced my character to go through the respawn animation screen. This is the best workaround should your character not respawn, and your game closes out by itself. Now I can finally get back to my main character!

So in easy to understand terms for steps...

1. Wait till you see chat window show up in the game.
    2. Press "ENTER"/"RETURN" once.
    3. Type: /suicide
    4. Press "ENTER"/"RETURN" again.

Wait till your character gets done with the animation to play again. You'll lose whatever difficulty you're playing, but this is a good workaround for me.

5. Tubbylumpkins

Tubbylumpkins Space Hobo

Ive had the same issue that occurred because of a death on the same mission.
    Even when i typed in the command, nothing happened and the game kept crashing. Hopefully theres a fix soon.
    Did you do this in single or multiplayer?

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It is a bug, so it should be fixed by next version. Its been rather persistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.