Future of the Multiplayer Mode, we need it more massive orientated!

Discussion in 'Other' started by coolsp0t, Apr 7, 2014.

1. coolsp0t

coolsp0t Phantasmal Quasar

Hi Starbound Aliens & Developers,

I got a few suggestions for the Multiplayer Mode of Starbound.

1. Order of the Menue's in Title.
    Current order is: Multiplayer -> Choose Character -> Access Phase -> Game
    This Order is a big problem, because in Multiplayer games the Characters has be stored on the Server no clientside. So Gamers has no chance to come with cheated or wrong modded weapons on the server. A closed Data Transmission Enviromnent is easier to secure.
    RIght order should be: Multiplayer -> Access Phase (Connection is established & Char Infos can be fetched from Server) -> Choose Character -> Game

2. Mod Recognition & Configuration System
    I build one with the possibilites which you give us in the Mod System, but it should be better when checkboxes for Mods would be exist in optionsmenu.

3. Asset Digit calculation.
    Why datas located in "mods" would not be included in Assets digit calculation? Problem on this solution is, that we got a useless checksum, because you can give your users *.pak files and the digit is correct. When the user starts the game with an additional Mod which is not *.pak can he connect with the same digit as when the additional mod is not included. 2 suggestions can be done. The digit would be calulated on all assets which the client fetches or when *.pak files are located at mods folder all other not *.pak files would be ignored.

4. Client & Server Lua desyncs
    Biggest annoying problem when hosting a server online. A User comes with a fail lua script on the server. If the error is too big, server crashes. Why the server did not kick a player with desync data? Its impossible to write a Programm which can handle every exception. So the Vanilla + Modded Server & client Connection which you are trying to programm is only possible, when client asks the server about the used data on *.world and *.shipworld with all included Sound, GFX & Script files. So when a player is online with a modded client & uses the novakid+ for example. Another player would visit the planet, so the client has to ask if the data between this players is compatible. If not, Errormessage: You need to install the Starbound Modification "novakid+"!

5. We dont need Admin commands!
    The most of the community would killing me for this sentence, but i researched the Starbound Code since its out and we really dont need it. I got a better solution for you. We got Lua, why not using them for this? The Lua API has only be extended that programmers get access to players UUID. This API functions has only activated server side, but needs hookable to the client side.

6. User Permissions,
    The accesscontrol.config has to less functions. Why not adding a small user permission system which can requested by Lua.

I will extend this thread, if i notice more issues. :)

MfG

Sp0ttyJ0nes aka coolsp0t --- BKG-STAFF