Modding Discussion Future of Modding Community

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Trestkon, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Trestkon

Trestkon Void-Bound Voyager

So after seeing a few discussions on SMAPI and STORM, I have a few questions for the future of modding in the stardew valley community.

So as far as I’ve read STORM seems like it will be the API of choice that will replace SMAPI in the future.

So my first question is, will SMAPI and any SMAPI related mods no longer be updated after this point? And everything will be STORM developed?

Secondly, I have 8 mods which I’m using which use SMAPI, so if it is true, I’d either hope they can updated for STORM so that I can make the switch when it happens or ditch them?

And while we’re at it, would this forum still be the best place for getting the mods and any updates of them or from nexus mods?

Those are just my current concerns because I’ve gotten so used to playing with those mods for SMAPI that when STORM comes out, I might have to ditch these if they aren’t updated.

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

That seems to be the case. Unless someone decides to give continued support to SMAPI it will likely close out, I believe the original creator even described it as "un-maintable" and deferred to Storm as a superior solution.

It will mostly be at the discretion of the mod makers whether they decide to make patches to their mods for Storm support or if they leave them with SMAPI. They may also be fine with other people porting them to Storm but again, that is for the creator of the mod to decide. If they don't, then you will have to continue using SMAPI if you want to use them and it's worth noting that Storm and SMAPI are independent API's. They cannot function with each other at the same time. If you were to open both .exe's you will just open two different and separate instances of Stardew Valley.

As of right now, yes. This forum is the best place to find new and upcoming mods. Only time will tell where things go from here but we're very early into the entire mod community of Stardew Valley so we will have to wait and see where the community winds up.

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm going to continue updating SMAPI until Storm is stable. The base code was a bit bad when I first got it and it was lacking, it'll be a lot more powerful/useful in future updates.

It's up to the mod makers to rewrite their mods for Storm. It would technically be possible for either me to add compatibility for Storm mods or vice-versa, but no ones that bothered about doing that since it's a fair amount of work with not enough pay off.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
        • Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

My only concern will be the divide caused by having both SMAPI and Storm up for good - At the moment we have one working API and one Alpha (kind of working) API so it makes sense to keep both going, keeping them both going once Storm is fully up is only going to create a division in terms of what mods you can and can't use.

• Trestkon

Trestkon Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks guys for answering my concerns on the matter ^^

And this is my main concern because like you say there will be this divide, of course everything is up to the modder's discretion but assuming by the time storm is released some modders won't be willing for compatibility since the payoff may not be worth it like ClxS said. So in a sense if this were to happen it would be kind of like starting from scratch yeah? New Alpha API with less mods for that moment because of all the technical issues for most mods that have been released so far for SMAPI.

So maybe when STORM is out and about and if it will be the alpha API, maybe we should make some kind of an announcement just informing everyone of the state of APIs and also informing that from now on STORM is the "recommended" API because it will still be developing whereas ClxS says that he'll only be maintaining SMAPI until STORM is stable anyway, so its pretty much confirmed dead once STORM is on its feet.

Of course modder's discretion but I'm guessing once STORM is out most modders will be pro STORM from that point.