Modding Help functions and techs from scratch

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by spookysalmon, May 3, 2019.

1. spookysalmon

spookysalmon Void-Bound Voyager

so ive been reading up on the detailed guide to lua scripting and basic modding and i still have a question how would i construct a function such as a world.spawnprojectile of sending entity messages thats the only thing i ever get stuck on besides not know how to call functions properly ive read through and im still confused im positive that most of the tutorials and guides are outdated i just need some insight and help with lua and such and if anyone has a blank tech template i could have please it would be appreciated(i know that the techs are in the assets but i want to use my stuff on a multiplayer server so it has to be reconstructed from vanilla assets) oh yea and on top of that how am i supposed to know what lua scripts my custom techs will need to use

Edit: also if i use Silverfeelin's Keybinds lib how do i implement said binds into the tech/lua scripts

2. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Best starting point would be to make a mod that overwrites one of the main tech scripts, then try out changes there. You can just unpack the assets and copy the files to assets/user (making sure the directories are the same, so /assets/user/tech/dash/...).

If you've never written code for Starbound before you might be better off not using Keybinds at first, but you can find documentation for it on the wiki. https://github.com/Silverfeelin/Starbound-Keybinds/wiki