1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Fullscreen bug since...ever!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by lieblingsbesuch, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lieblingsbesuch

lieblingsbesuch Void-Bound Voyager

I have a big issue w/ Starbound on my Windows-PC.

I am playing Starbound on my MBA (where it works perfectly) and on my PC.

When I switch to fullscreen mode on my PC, the game only shows like parts of the screen, I cannot access the buttons anymore.
    When I push F11 in game, the same happens, only the midst of the screen is shown then, all menus are being cut out.

This issue is there since always, it did not disappear when I reinstalled Windows or updated my graphic drivers.

Has anyone any clues how to solve this annoying problem?

System: Windows 8.1 64bit, AMD 6850 something with latest drivers, Starbound Steam-Version unstable, latest version.

2. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Sounds like Starbound's trying to use a resolution too big for your monitor to properly display. You could potentially fix this in the options menu, but if that won't display properly, you'll need to manually edit the game's .config file. Make sure the game's closed before attempting this.

First, open Steam. In your Library, right-click Starbound, and click Properties from the fly-out menu. A new window will pop up. Click "Local Files" from the tabs at the top, and then click "Browse Local Files." A new window will appear, and in it, a folder named "giraffe_storage" should be displayed. Double-click it to enter it.

You should now see a file named "starbound.config." Open it with any plaint-text editing software - such as Notepad which comes with windows, or Notepad++ which is freeware.

In this file, you should see an entry that reads:
    Code:
    "fullscreenResolution" : [ 1024, 768 ],
    The numbers will be different for you, most likely.

Set it to match the resolution your monitor is operating at or lower. This should fix the problem next time you start the game.

3. lieblingsbesuch

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the config.

fullscreenresolution is already fine configured (1920, 1080).

Although, I found some other strange resolution configurations:

"maximizedResolution" : [ 1536, 841 ],
    "windowedResolution" : [ 1000, 600 ],

both resultions seem to be very low. The windowscreen resolution should be nearly to 1920.

Should I alter all resolutions to 1920 1080?

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Please do not use uncommon abbreviations.
    If you are referring to Macbook Air please so say.
    ==
    Moving to Billing and Support.

5. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

windowedResolution controls the game when it's running in a window. You don't need to alter that in the config if it's working fine in windowed mode. If you want to adjust the size of the window while in windowed mode, just click and drag the edges or corners of the window to resize it.

maximizedResolution is set automatically when you maximize the game, so it typically doesn't need to be messed with either.

Try lowering fullscreenResolution below the resolution of your monitor, and see if that helps any. It's possible that, for whatever crazy reason, your monitor is switching to a lower resolution when Starbound goes into fullscreen mode.

6. lieblingsbesuch

Sorry for the abbreviations.

When I lower the fullscreenresolution to 1680 1050, it works fine, though it interpolizes the wrong way.
    When I then try to switch back to 1920 1080, the same problems appear.

It is a solution, although I would really like to play in native resolution.

7. The | Suit

Create a starbound shortcut on your desktop.
    RIght click on the shortcut
    Go to compatibility
    Disable display scaling on high dpi settings.

FeMan, fr0z3n2 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. lieblingsbesuch

Dear Admin,

this idea worked fine on the 32bit .exe (64bit crashes even w/o modification). Strange that it does not work when directly starting it over steam...

9. The | Suit

To be honest there really shouldn't be an issue.
    I am running the game on a 3k high DPI screen on a 64 bit without any problems.

I suggest disabling it again taking a screenshot and your your display settings + how the window is cut off.
    Just for documentation purposes.

10. lieblingsbesuch

Is there an internal picture upload on this forum?

11. The | Suit

Not really sure what that means....
    But linking to imgur works fine

12. Dunto

Dunto Guest

You should be able to attach pictures to your post(s).

13. lieblingsbesuch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.