Friendly WitchMarsh mechanic suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kensike, Oct 18, 2014.

?

Should characters in WS gain the ability to transform into supernatural animals?

1. Yes (100%)

22.2%
  2. Maybe (50%)

55.6%
  3. No (0%)

22.2%
  1. Kensike

Kensike Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, as I'm not sure where I should be posting about ideas, so I'll post here.

So we know WS is gonna be a game about a group of investigators roaming around taking on baddies with your buddies in coop or single player with some AI teammates, right? I was thinking, since we're trying to solve the issues that are supernatural, and showing enemies that could quite possibly be working for an Eldritch Abomination, why not introduce the possibility of becoming one of them? Let me explain. So as the game progresses, your characters act and react to situations, but what if one of the abominations leech on and mutate the player? Quite possibly moose, who was a big brutish type guy caught a mutation by a leech, and gained a significant buff to damage, at the cost of having absolutely zero intelligence? Or what if he was bitten by a vampire, and gained a massive intelligence and lore buff, but can no longer run or be outside?
    I'm not saying the mutations or reactions have to be physical or even permanent, but wouldn't it be awesome for the cast if they could turn into a werewolf or a zombie, I think it would really add to the whole lovecraftian horror theme, and make the game a lot more immersive. These could be temporary buffs to permanent changes (or setbacks, depending on how you see it), and it could purely be accidental because the enemy has a 3% chance per turn to turn you into a mutant, or you decided to gulp down the alchemist's untested potion! Maybe a cool running gag would be the alchemist trying to find a cure for moose who's now a massive dog who can accidentally hit allies if they're in his line of damage, as he comically chases after him with several new potions!

Thank you for reading my post! Any advice (both good and bad) is much appreciated! Cheers!

Edit: Noticed I put WS instead of WM (WitchMarsh) for the poll. Is there any way I could change that..?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    • Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

I do like that we're the only possible fit when it comes to Eldritch Abominations. Sure sounds like Witchmarsh! We (along with the hip, young NPCs of the town) usually shorten it to WM.

Thanks for the great ideas!

In terms of character development, it is possible to tread pretty close to line which separates the rescuers from whatever dark forces are lurking below the town. There are even quests planned which test your loyalty should you say, do and learn certain branches of eldritch knowledge. We also have an ending planned which ties into this.

By summoning magic from the shadow realm, it's possible to communicate with, and draw power from the creatures of the abyss. But be warned, if you stray too far into their circle, they may ask for something in return.

[​IMG]

Here's a temporary transformation, permanent ones? We're not so sure yet, but thanks for your ideas! :)

• ares5566

ares5566 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I suggest PVP. Simple, increases replay value, indirectly allows you to balance the game by being able to compare certain choices directly to others, and adds an extra layer of depth to the game.