1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Friend A can join my server friend B can't

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Purity, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Purity

Purity Space Hobo

Hello :)

I have a problem with my server set up. I launched the dedicated server and Friend A can join my server without problems. Friend B can't and we don't know why. He tried out joining a public server and that worked so i don't know whether the problem is on my or his side.

We tried:
    - Deactivating his firewall
    - Friend A hosting the server (I can join, Friend B still can't)
    - Friend B hosting the server (Nobody can join. Only Friend B.)

Thank you

2. mattmonkey24

mattmonkey24 Void-Bound Voyager

Do you and Friend A live together?

Since Friend B can connect to a public server, we can assume he doesn't have problems connecting to outside networks.

Make sure Friend B is using a public IP address and not a local IP address. A local one might look like 192.168.X.X or 10.X.X.X One that isn't local might be like 104.156.228.158

Make sure that whoever is hosting the server has properly port forwarded and allowed that port through their firewall on the server

3. Unxie

Unxie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This could seem obvious , but I'll say it anyway:

If I open a dedicated server and I invite friend A that I have on steam to join , he will be able to join fine, but if I invite his friend name B which I don't have as friend on steam he won't be able to join us. In order for B to join us , he must have us on steam friend list.

This is valid if we talking about the server coop you make to play in your singleplayer with friends.

4. mattmonkey24

mattmonkey24 Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm i'm not too sure on how steam connects you to a server like that.. I've always given my friends either my domain name or external IP.

I'd say just make sure he is a friend on steam then. Also make sure he is using the same version of starbound and not a nightly or beta version