1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Frequency of Meteor Showers.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Hymir, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinjiro

Jinjiro Starship Captain

At least you people are getting to see the meteor showers. Every planet I go to has acid rain and it starts pouring on me almost instantly after I land on a planet. Makes it rather hard for a fresh character to advance when he's gotta hide in his ship every 2 - 3 minutes. On top of that, the acid rain randomly will do anywhere from 1 tic of damage, so up to 6 tics of damage at once.

2. Zephyred

Zephyred Poptop Tamer

Time to report my findings.

So, I found out that no specific biome is 100% safe from meteors even in Alpha. However, I did find out that when the game universe is generated - we all have the same planets and weather patterns, meaning that we can share coordinates and find more hospitable planets with no chance of Meteor Shower. Planets with a certain biome(forest, jungle, etc.) will be generated with very certain pattern of weather.

Take for example the Forest Biome weather patterns:
    PATTERN 1
    10% rain
    5% storm
    2.5% glowing rain,
    12.5% drizzle
    70% clear weather

PATTERN 2
    5% acid rain
    95% clear

PATTERN 3
    10% snow
    90% clear

PATTERN 4
    3% meteor shower
    97% clear

PATTERN 5
    1% large meteor
    99% clear

PATTERN 6 to 11
    100% clear

When the world is generated(everybody's universe generated the same), the generated forest biome planet will have a very specific PATTERN that will be chosen for that planet and the planet weather will change based on the percentages of chance on weather(raining at one moment, clear the next moment). The PATTERN will never change for that planet meaning that if you happen to see glowing rain on a forest planet, you can rest assured that meteor showers wont ever hit. What does it mean? It means even Alpha Sector planets can still get meteor showers and that naysayers are just relating from their own experiences rather than fact. Those that have experienced frequent meteor showers on multiple planets will have some pretty bad luck and will have to take notice of other weather patterns to know they are safe from Meteor Showers(If you see rain in the main biome, you are safe from falling rocks).

I hope these findings prove helpful to those that are more confused on how the weather system works.

@Jinjiro Acid Rain is temporary and it will eventually stop. I don't really understand how Single Player save planets, yet, since I play online since the game came out(You can just leave the planet, the server saves the planet in a minute or two while you are on the ship, and come back for the weather to change.) However, if you have some coal, you can try to travel to more hospitable planets nearby and hope for a better pattern.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    Droogins and Khromm like this.
  3. infinitetech

infinitetech Big Damn Hero

they are definitely buggy, I wouldn't mind so much if it atleast gave me good ore for the blocks it wipes out, or left a big metal mass I could turn into shielding, however I did use the showers as a cheap way to mine small planets lol

4. BlackSun

BlackSun Big Damn Hero

Yay I finally finished my house then this happened right after I took a screenshot!

[​IMG]

Exatly 2 sec later...

[​IMG]

I hate meteors. :sparta:

(When I started to build one of them already came down at the exact same spot, so I think they always come down near the player? They shouldn't, that's annoying.)

Merrow and Muka Luka like this.
  5. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

WELP. Time to move! Sucks to be you.

6. JamesPip

JamesPip Orbital Explorer

Lucky, usually I lose most of my home, just tears through my hill and plummets right in, destroying all my appliances and what not. They do seem focused around the player, so if you just haul away you should make it.

7. Zephyred

Zephyred Poptop Tamer

@BlackSun You are most certainly pretty lucky considering the potential damage... Big meteors disintegrate any blocks in a very large area, just short of screen wide(All your base didn't belong to meteor). It doesn't matter what kind of blocks you decide to use for defense, but you can always place some 1x1 blocks a good distance on top and surrounding your base to protect your base. The large meteor is apparently rare and you just got unlucky. :(
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of my character for scale compared to a huge meteor.
    It should be easy to protect yourself against a large meteor.
    The resulting spread of meteorite on impact will not hit those in mid-air and will only hurt those who happen to be where the meteorite spread lands.
    The Meteor Shower is scarier for most people as the small meteor can one shot anyone without endgame gear and pelt bases in many numbers over time.

8. Muka Luka

Muka Luka Tentacle Wrangler

That's too bad, your house/base looked really good.

9. MGTX

MGTX Void-Bound Voyager

Whoa whoa, attitude adjustment; this is an open BETA.

These forums are primarily used for feedback about the game, they are stating their experiences and asking that it be looked at not burning your house down and taking your valuables.

You are discouraging the very reason people are in this forum for.

An appropriate rebuttal would be " I think its balanced and falls just enough." not "These people need to just deal with it.".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Flagdread and Noonu like this.
  10. BlackSun

BlackSun Big Damn Hero

@Zephyred Yea I was quite lucky, but it happened in the worst possible moment. I wanted to go to bed and just take a screenshot of my finished house and then BOOM.

But is it normal that 2 large meteors spawn at the same time? As you can see on my picture one came down to the left and one to the right. I thought that was kinda strange. Could it be that this is somehow related to your zoom level? Because at that time it was on "2x" to make a good screenshot.

11. Reetno

Reetno Subatomic Cosmonaut

I haven't come across any planets with meteors either, but It's not like you'll know if they planet has them until it happens... and by that time you could have spent hours building...
    I hate having something I built being destroyed like that... So yeah, even though I've never seen one, from what I heard they are very frequent on planets that do once they start up, which I agree, needs to be fixed, or reduced to more hostile biomes.

Until then why not try modding to get rid of them? I spotted this one that restricts them to hostile planets: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/restricted-meteors.59469/

12. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

Doubtful that zoom level has anything to do with frequency/numbers. I stay on 2x practically all the time, and I would imagine the size of the larger meteorites remains constant or falls within a slim boundary of variability. Zoom size seems to only restrict the number of rendered elements per frame since enemies blinking out/respawning beyond screen bounds is coherent across zoom levels.

13. Zephyred

Zephyred Poptop Tamer

@BlackSun I believe NightCat is correct on this case. The fact that you will not see meteor-pocked areas far away from your base, unless you actually was in that exploring in that proximity, confirms this. It creates too much strain on resources if everything was being done in the world at one time.

Interestingly at the moment, some non-meteor weather actually breaks any chest in its area of effect due to it trying to create liquid on the surface. If the world was fully loaded and dynamic at one time, a liquid-creating weather effect would clear all that planet's surface treasure chest unless it is provided with cover.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  14. Daedelon

Daedelon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have to been to at least 6-8 planets redoing the quests (just to see if there were additions or bugs along the way) and have not seen a single meteor shower yet. It doesn't exist in every planet, could be based on solar systems.

15. Madcactuslover

Madcactuslover Phantasmal Quasar

Good sir, you quoted the wrong person, and I hope you don't actually think I feel so negatively towards others. Try GreyMaria next time.

16. Zoro the Gallade

Zoro the Gallade Big Damn Hero

IIRC, Tiy said that ways for the player to alter the planet's weather were on the way.

If this is true, building some "planetary shield" that disables meteor showers for the planet it's built on should be available at a reasonable cost by the time you start settling down.

Oh, and I've been in solar systems with and without asteroid fields, and it doesn't seem to influence whether or not the re can be meteor showers on those planets.

17. Alphasoldier

Alphasoldier Phantasmal Quasar

It's almost amusing to see someone like you be yourself on other communities as well. You must be loved by so many people.

On-topic however, I have to say I ran into this problem as well.
    Finally the game got the useful function of always being able to teleport to your homeworld.
    Then as I finally finished 2 loops of my starting planet, I started and finished building a house when lolmeteorstorm.

I tried just about everything, from an obsidian shield, to direrock, but everything would be obliterated in 2 hits. The worst thing is that these things don't spawn from space. No, they spawn at the top of your screen, making any tall building an immediate target.
    The thing that bugs me most however, is that this is a normal planet with a breathable surface. There shouldn't be any meteors because they'd burn out in the atmosphere. If they wouldn't, there wouldn't: A. Be that many meteors in such a close proximity. B. Turn into balls of fire because of the velocity.

I know I'll probably get a lot of flak for saying this, but a bit more thoughtful realism would be very appreciated in this game. Especially when it comes to world and universe generation. Binary suns anyone?

I know I should say "Oh well, it's just beta", but this is definitely not encouraging me to play this game.

Hymir likes this.
  18. MGTX

MGTX Void-Bound Voyager

Infact thought I did quote GreyMaria, wacky. I'll just edit the quote name. I must have Quoted you Quoting them.

Thanks for being understanding.

19. doodasquash98

doodasquash98 Space Hobo

If I might add in my two cents here, as this seems to be the thread to go to concerning the meteor showers...
    I really like the idea of meteor showers, it adds some welcome difficulty to the game. However, I have a couple of problems with them, which may have already been addressed.

Number 1: Frequency. As everybody else here has said, they are very frequent on the planets that they are eligible on. I realize that I *could* just move to a different planet, but I don't want to. The player shouldn't be limited to the planet that they choose to build on, all of the biomes should be available for destruction-free construction (Obviously, there are exceptions to that, like wood and lava). I personally don't mind rebuilding some stuff every now and then, as it breaks up the standard routine and it's really easy to place blocks in the game, but I don't want to do it every 15 minutes.

Number 2: The destructive power of the meteors. From what I've read here, and seen in my very limited Alpha sector view, all blocks are destroyed by the meteors with unchanging proficiency. Cobblestone bricks are just as prone to being blown up as dirt. That seems a bit... off. It eliminates any meteor prevention system at the moment. I did read that Tiy stated that there would be a way to alter planetary weather, which probably means a meteor shield, but it'd still be nice to have stronger blocks act as a temporary safety net of sorts.

And before some of the less-than-kind forum frequenters get on me, I do in fact know that I have the ability of moving to a planet that doesn't have meteor showers, but did you ever pause to think that I (and all the other people complaining about it here) might want to build in that particular biome? Also, I am indeed aware that this is a beta, that's why I'm saying all of this. Betas are released so that the dev team has a massive work force to find bugs and issues with the game. It's our job to state our issues with the game at this stage of development.

Anyways, that's my opinion on the meteor showers as of posting this. Other than this inconvenience, I am really enjoying the game so far, along with all the LPs of it going on, and would recommend it to anybody in heartbeat. Good job, devs!!

20. VivixCore

VivixCore Starship Captain

Building a roof probably won't help for the same reasons that rain is frustrating. The meteors are spawned (like damaging rain blocks) at the top of your viewable screen, based on what's loaded up there.

With the right positioning and a tiny hole in a backdrop, even your underground fortress can have meteors rolling down the hallway. The most effective fix for you will probably be to place a glass backdrop so that the game thinks you're inside or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.