1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Frequency of Meteor Showers.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Hymir, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymir

Hymir Void-Bound Voyager

The frequency of meteors hitting my planet is an astronomical amount. My friends and I were working on our house, and I kid you not, my friend said, "This is perfect, nothing could possibly go wrong." Then, meteors. I went to repair the damage the next day IRL, and once I was done, it happened again. We moved to a different planet, specifically an arid planet, and it happened again. As I am posting this, we are getting bombarded with meteors. Please tune down the frequency of this event, it wastes materials and is extremely OP.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

Angry has been out less than 24 hours and you're already complaining about the frequency of meteor showers? Move to a different planet. Perhaps an Arid planet.

3. Hymir

Hymir Void-Bound Voyager

We did. That did not help whatsoever. We get a meteor shower at least once every hour in real time. But who am I kidding, no one would understand. It's not like I'm trying to build a house or anything.

4. GreyMaria

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.

5. Piano

Piano Starship Captain

I have to agree here, I've tried multiple planets, and seem to get a shower withing every 13-30 minutes. Hopefully this will get sorted out, it is pretty bad. I've managed to make a roof above to help out for the time being, but even repairing the roof gets time-consuming and expensive.

@GreyMaria

The point of bug fixing is to state things that we may feel are a problem. Things that might be a bug. There's no reason to say people are complaining about anything. This is what he's supposed to do.

Nerixel and Hymir like this.
  6. GreyMaria

I have yet to encounter a meteor shower since Angry was released. So nyeh.

Doctor Devil likes this.
  7. Hymir

Hymir Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you. As for the showers, do you know of any materials that can withstand them?

8. Piano

Piano Starship Captain

If you haven't encountered one, then why exactly are you speaking about it at all? You not encountering one gives you no right to make comments. Try keeping quiet when you have nothing nice or important to say. Kthnx

Hymir, I've had two showers in the time it took to type out both of my messages. One happening as I type this one. I believe all blocks may have the same resistance.

EDIT
    Turns out my super thick roof didn't work so well this time. I think the showers have something to do with where you're standing at the time they start.

9. GreyMaria

You're hilarious. My statement of I have never encountered a meteor shower suggests that meteor showers are not present on all planets. Move to another planet and the meteor showers will probably stop.

10. Hymir

Hymir Void-Bound Voyager

Since when has the type of a planet, or the general location, ever stopped a meteor? From what I can tell, it has happened on all the planets I've been on. That includes: arid, snow, forest, desert, and moon (I died pretty quick on that one though). There's no other planets nearby, and from what I can tell I'm not the only person with this problem.

11. Piano

Piano Starship Captain

You not encountering them suggests that you haven't encountered one.
    On top of that, you're still in no place to be rude to people, or act like condescending twit when you have the chance.
    Even if there exists a planet where they don't happen, that doesn't mean that they aren't too frequent on the ones that they do happen on.

What's hilarious is you talking to people like you were born into some higher form of life when there isn't a need for it.

cosmictruffle likes this.
  12. Hymir

Hymir Void-Bound Voyager

What is this higher form? Floran wish to eat this, higher form.

13. CuteSpide

CuteSpide Seal Broken

Meteor showers are definitely not present on every planet.

Merrow and Doctor Devil like this.
  14. GreyMaria

Which is, of course, fully apparent to anyone who reads the biome definition code. Weather is defined in specific groups on a per-planet basis, based on the main biome of the planet. Only one group is ever selected for a planet, and only some of these groups contain meteor showers. Even fewer contain actually hazardous showers.

Once again, if these people have a problem they just need to move to a different planet.

15. Madcactuslover

Madcactuslover Phantasmal Quasar

Oh wow, what a condescending and rude person. I actually like the meteors, but that doesn't mean I condone being rude to others who don't.

Anyways, I'd suggest a few things. Try moving to another planet, going underground, or using a bit stronger materials. Things like titanium or blast stone actually do have a higher durability than others, so they might help the meteor thing.

Sylv likes this.
  16. Piano

Piano Starship Captain

I'll have to try that out them. I'm also finding that the showers may have something to do with where you're standing. I don't know too much about coding, so I wouldn't know where to start with that.

I've tried moving planets, but every planet I find seems to have showers at some point. I really don't mind having them, just not at 15 minute intervals.

I've had times where the roof protected me just fine, and others where the shower spawned lower in the sky.

@GreyMaria You do understand that not everyone reads code or thinks to try and do as such? Remember, we're trying NOT to act like a condescending twit. I don't go around calling people brainless for not knowing anything about music, especially when it's not something they're interested in. I really don't see how anyone could put up with your cocky attitude.

17. Kryobig

Kryobig Space Hobo

If you've only encountered normal meteor showers, wait until you see a bunch of football field sized chunks falling at you (at the same frequency as the regular showers). Fun times.

18. Zephyred

Zephyred Poptop Tamer

I haven't run into a meteor shower, yet. Hopefully, they decide to nerf the rate in which it happens because it seems that you guys are getting the blunt of it. :) There is various parameters that changes the rate of meteor showers.

I just checked the rates of meteor showers in all biomes and they seem about the same: 3% for meteor showers/97% clear weather and 1% for large meteor/99% clear weather. I am not sure if these change during the day on the planet or is strictly the rate on the planet or if there weather variances in same biome planets(forest 3%/97% vs forest 1%/99%) with different rates. The only biome I haven't seen the Meteor shower on is the Ocean Biome. I haven't seen one yet, so I can't comment.

I hope this is helpful to you guys. If you need to look for it yourself, you can look at the assets and open the for .surfacebiome files with notepad for rates(Search 'weather').

Your attitude needs to go elsewhere... First of all, not everyone reads the biome definition code right away when a patch is released, which is much more APPARENT. Just remember to Report guys.

Denninja, Kevbot, Gregnov and 4 others like this.
  19. GreyMaria

Hilarity shall ensue.

20. Piano

Piano Starship Captain

@Zephyred Thank you! I will definitely take a look and see if I'm able to see something that might help.

I've yet to see a biome without the showers. (After traveling to every type) The volcanic biome had a lower frequency rate, so I know there's at least that factor that varies. I will go around different ocean biomes to see if I can see one where they don't exist. Thank you again for the help!

Hymir and Zephyred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.