1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Frame jumping on Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Greyscale, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Greyscale

Greyscale Intergalactic Tourist

Hi!

Been *really* enjoying the 1.0 release so far, the only issue I'm having is after playing the game for a while, I start to get "frame skipping", where it feels like the game is skipping rendering a few frames, essentially "jumping" after a short pause.

I'm playing on a Macbook Retina, 16GB RAM with a Nvidia GT650M, running the game on fullscreen at 1680x1050 (I've tried other resolutions, the problem persists). Desktop resolution is 2880x1800

Any/all help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. DusRoo

DusRoo Space Hobo

I have essentially the same computer and am having exactly the same problem. I've basically been shutting down starbound whenever it gets bad, but of course sometimes it's unavoidable. It's strange that it works fluidly for about 20min to an hour, then starts to get heavy "stuttering" effects, which don't go away when you go to less hardware intensive areas, but do when you restart.

Let me know if you come up with a solution. Thanks.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thought I'd run it through a windows virtual machine as well. In my opinion the stuttering is still there. The pagoda library mission starts it without fail.

3. effkay

effkay Space Hobo

I'm on an iMac 27" (late 2012), Nvidia GeForce 680MX 2048MB. I'm experiencing this exact issue as well. Running Starbound 1.04 and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. The issue appears regardless of resolution and fullscreen / windowed fullscreen / windowed.

Edit:
    Worth mentioning that I could run Starbound without this issue earlier. Last time I played, was in january, and the issue was not present then.