1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.0

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

And also stop posting about it here. I was quite clear: your connection issues are not our concern. We cannot help you with them. Thank you.

2. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

3. Tandryan33

Tandryan33 Big Damn Hero

I have a curious question... Is there a why that the mod isn't packed and it's always unpacked? I readed that the pak version will be readed much faster and something like that... Can someone explain me?

4. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Yea: I dont feel like taking an extra 40 minutes every single update to complete updating the mod. Users can easily pak things on their own. As it stands, I need to update here, Git and Steam which already takes a good amount of time due to steam. I do that weekly, sometimes more, per week.

Tandryan33 likes this.
  5. Silverbane7

Silverbane7 Pangalactic Porcupine

Is there a link you can point us to, that can show how to convert the mod to .pak for those that want to do it? Any tutorials for how to perhaps?
    (Curious myself but its always handy to have a link for a guide to diy such things. Also means we can direct future questions about it to said tutorial)

6. Tandryan33

Tandryan33 Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the reply and it looks reasonable, so we should subscribe to the Steam version to get the already packed version.
    Go to your Starbound folder, shift + right click on it and open Powershell.
    Use the following code to extract from a .PAK file to a folder.
    Code:
    .\win32\asset_unpacker.exe .\mods\NameOfTheMod.pak .\mods\NameOfTheModUnpacked
    If you want to make a .PAK from the folder mod you should use this instead
    Code:
    .\win32\asset_packer.exe .\mods\NameOfTheModUnpacked .\mods\NameOfTheMod.pak 

7. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

8. Silverbane7

*peeks into wikkipedia to find out Powershell is part of most versions of windows
    ah, right.
    i thought maybe there was something specific you might need to do it with (like how to change sims3pack files over)
    thanks for the info and how to Tandryan33

Tandryan33 likes this.
  9. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

10. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

11. Tandryan33

Tandryan33 Big Damn Hero

One more question, what's version is better to download and why? The GIT version? Steam? Community?

12. Silverbane7

depends on your patience and paranoia thresholds (from personal pov)
    steam workshop is great for normal starbound when you want to install a ton of mods (or someones compilation)
    unstable starbound needs you to manualy install the files (so is good for testing things between big bouts of updates when both stable and unstable are the same)
    GIThub stuff is good because you are getting it direct from the maker (some issues from upload sites occasionaly uploading work/mods not their own)

personaly im inclined to manualy install all mods but starbound stable (right now at least, im trying a compilation with FU inside it) and minecraft (too many ID conflicts for my poor code-phobic mind to manage lol) because at least that way i know whats going in and out of my hdd (to an extent lol) but then im a memory miser that keeps task manager open, begrudges background tasks i am not using space running (from a bad mem leak in the win98 days) and does not trust site installers much (i allways use the manual download button lol)

those are my personal reasons for which download is what. your milage may vary (sometimes dependant upon your age too)

13. Tandryan33

Tandryan33 Big Damn Hero

Long short story: if you can control everything, it's better. More shortly, better from GIT/Community.
    Thanks for expressing your opinion :)

14. Silverbane7

*grins*
    pretty much lol. plus its faster to use the githubs because most creators update that first
    plus, if anything goes wrong, its MY fault when i download and install something manualy. (usualy lol)

15. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Plus its INFINITELY easier to know if the issue is in the new release that way. git pull, suddenly you crash, you immediately know "its the new shit". Update mod author so he knows before its even published and can fix it!

Tandryan33 likes this.
  16. Tandryan33

Tandryan33 Big Damn Hero

Sadly for me... GIT isn't really my thing lmao
    Idk how to put my hands with that site

17. Silverbane7

Well, with FU all you have to do is click on sayters latest update here in blue.
    It should open the page for the exact patch, ya scroll down the list of fixes and there are 2 files at the bottom.
    I always grab the zip version (have a habit of keeping files lol) then perform the anti-oopsie dance.

Which goes : I move last version of FU folder into temporary 'old FU' folder on desktop, unzip new version into starbound/mods folder, close unpacking software, startup the game, cross fingers toes and eyes (sometimes lol) and if it starts, and doe not crash, play a while then when I'm done testing new stuff, delete oldest version of FU folder in 'old FU' backup folder (which is usually the last but one version, so I end up with only one FU folder in there)

Yes, its overly worried and time consuming, but I have had occasions in the past where by the time I went to replace a download, it was gone (old days stuff, mostly sims1 files when the early CCwars were starting) so if its something important, I'd rather have multiples by accident than none. (Wish I had done that for siegelets vorpal mules mod, I miss that)

18. billperson

billperson Big Damn Hero

In the Dark Caverns starting quest, I'm unable to interact with the statues that are meant to grant techs. Pressing E on them has no effect.

Attached a log and a screenshot of the statues

Attached Files:

19. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

part of the risk for using the in-development branch on github rather than releases :) fixed as of this morning on git. Re-pulling will fix them.

20. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time