1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.0

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

There are a few things about the weather on planets that I've been wondering about/have noticed.

1. Rain and other weather types that need clouds to happen still continue once you get to the asteroid layer.
    2. Are lightning storms supposed to be dangerous or something? Even with a fresh character I find that lightning strikes don't really do any damage to be concerned about.
    3. What to earthquakes do exactly? I've spent a considerable amount of time on planets that have them(noted by icon) but have not experienced anything that I would link to an earthquake. I'm guessing it removes a random amount of blocks from the surface but I'm not sure.
    4. There doesn't seem to be dangerous winds of any variety, sure there are the sandstorms that slow you down but otherwise there aren't any winds that cause your character to be blown around or at the very least have their position be shifted into the direction of the blowing wind. Apart from some storms that have projectiles with negligible damage, wind just isn't dangerous.
    5. Tsunamis and other water related weather(whirlpools and hurricanes) would give the player a reason to not just stay near large bodies of water without fear of danger, I don't know how difficult it would be to include this but I would like to hear your thoughts about this.

2. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

1. game engine thing. Nothing I can do.
    2. Lightning strike damage varies widely, but isnt inherently too bad unless you are weak to it. I'll be rebalancing it soon
    3. Youll see when you encounter one. They rumble and break tiles, basically, on the surface layer
    4. thats because there are no features that really allow a characetr to be blown around reliably. Again, game engine.
    5. impossible since there is no way to do it

3. SubmarineKnight

SubmarineKnight Starship Captain

About your bug, could it be vanilla weapon bug? Personally I have had a few of them.

I am not too knowledgeable on the details, but basically if you have a randomly generated weapon with same type/rarity or something like (sorry kinda unclear) that with different special moves ; one in your quick slot, one in your inventory, it would crash when you hover on it (for me it was the one in inventory).
    (EDIT: something like conflicting special moves I guess.)

Obviously only applies to randomly generated 2H weapons mostly, like broadsword, sniper rifle, etc with special abilities. I've had crashes because of broadswords but it was only about 2-3 times in my entire vanilla playthrough, and isn't very often. One of the most memorable one would be checking one of loot box BEFORE one of the vanilla boss fight, take all the items, hover on some randomly generated weapon in inventory, ctd, and ended up back in the ship. Solution? remove the weapon in quickslot before trying to throw the problematic weapon away.

Might be different from your issue though!
    Haven't had it in FU but that is because I use the unique/craftable weapons.

Anyway, out of curiosity, how does the mining laser compare to the upgraded matter manipulators? I tried peeking at the github but can't really tell. Plus it seems the mining laser have a new info ui now. Previously my fully upgraded mining laser (the strongest variant) has 3.3 power (forgot if it has rate of fire info or not); now it is 1.4 with 10 rate of fire. Is the matter manipulator better etc? Personally I still like my 4x4 tile (precision) so I skipped upgrading the MM.

Just curious tbh, mining laser pretty much obliterate every tile anyway. Without dual wielding it. Or mining gear bonus.

4. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

read update notes. Mining lasers were adjusted to have faster firing rates , which also has the side effect of lowering listed DPS with said fire-rate increase. As for how fast? depends on you, and which ones you are using. MM can be more precise and can collect water. Mining laser exists to eradicate blocks as quickly as possible with no regard for precision.

5. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

The weapon was a two hander, but I didn't see much about it. It didn't seem to crash right when I hovered over it thankfully, but it was still annoying that it crashed to desktop. I rather just go to the nuclear option(do everything to destroy the item) than try to "preserve" or fix it though when it comes to bugged items. I got a game to play and limited time afterall :).

For mining lots of ore nothing outclasses mining lasers. I haven't tried the upgraded matter manipulators, as I was always comfortable with the original. But I favor mining lasers for mining purposes so I can quickly get all the good ores, since asteroid fields never give me any luck recently.

6. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

i honestly don't see why folks have a hard time getting ores from astroid fields although it may be because of a mod that i use that may be making the amount i find bigger/smaller on astroids as if i spend about 10 minuets mining i usely find about 1000 copper and iron ores easly and about 500-700 of other ores.

7. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

[​IMG]
    Sorry... just had to.

8. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

sayter updated FrackinUniverse with a new update entry:

Read the rest of this update entry...

9. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

10. adaxe

adaxe Subatomic Cosmonaut

Carvelle is now a Perfectly Generic Item in the Armory.

11. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

No it isn't. You have a conflicting mod. I'm betting manufacturers touch.

12. adaxe

adaxe Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is it possible to track what is the conflicting mod by the log?
    https://pastebin.com/Dyc393wG

13. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

nope. You're gonna have to manually check it. Best of luck.

14. CacklePhish

CacklePhish Void-Bound Voyager

Will you add more quests about Elder Gods? Frozen Waste was quite impressive.

15. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

I found that quest a little underwhelming actually, the enemy strength fluctuations made me skittish about what is dangerous and what's not but once you get used to the enemy placements you can farm that quest for artifacts and mass produce dimensional storages among other things if you wanted to. Even the boss becomes a cheese-fest if you learn its pattern and have some kind of cosmic weapon. Not to mention the frustration I got once I realized that I actually needed to be a much smaller ball if I wanted to get unstuck from the one secret room and into the others, oh well, you live and learn. It doesn't help that my best armor produced light, had to craft a complete other set to get through the first time.

Don't get me wrong, the area was beautifully made and the aesthetics were awesome along with the puzzles, but the dangers that were presented just seems to need a little buffing.

16. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Game crashes when I hover over any stim, like xstim, the crunchy duck. orange stim, but not vanilla stims.. Note I'm outdated, maybe it's fixed. well it kicks me out not crashes

17. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

And you didnt attach a log, so theres nothing I can do. But, if you are outdated, that is likely the issue. In which case, why report at all? Update.

18. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

It isn't meant for repeated plays, really. The stuff added in after for such players is an afterthought. You're meant to play it and actually experience it, not grind it.

Thus, it's got *plenty* of challenge to the uninitiated that isn't using a barrel full of cheat mods like combined augments and so on ramping their power up to obscene levels. Most creature there are revamped in the last while to resist most damage types, and doing more damage overall. The Shoggoth is almost IMMUNE to cosmic, and has been for quite some time....you probably haven't been there in a good while. Cheesing him is much more difficult.

Additionally, I reworked almost all the mission speak-text to be more atmospheric, adjusted numerous doors and areas to give a more viable guide through it all *and* added more lore.

19. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

almost done!

[​IMG]

20. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah you're right I haven't been there in a while, shall try it again with a different new char to reinstate its challenge.

Btw what is up with the picture? The only difference I see is the hud, is that what you were referring to?

Edit: Alright I've redone the mission and I must say it's been drastically improved, didn't notice I've stopped doing it for so long. Much better than most other missions.

My only problem now is unrelated to the mission but is has to do with the clusterbomb alternate of an appropriately leveled for the mission weapon seems to really kick ass by magnitudes more than other similarly level weapons. I refrained from using that during the mission as I felt it was a little overpowered although I suppose the long interval between the times you can shoot slightly off-sets this.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017