1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse (Archive)

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by sayter, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

bug net huh? consider it done. Easily accomplished.

2. ChillChinchilla

ChillChinchilla Void-Bound Voyager

Not sure if this is where I should be posting this but here goes... (let me know if you want me to post this somewhere else)

I was on a bog planet at night when I suddenly heard a voice in the background. I'm not sure if this is the case for all bog planets and I just haven't heard it due to the fact that I usually have music on or what. It sounds like a recording of a man and with a little girl in the background... He says "Hi", "what was it?" and "That's not a monster" with the little girl faintly replying after each question. It's quite for a little bit, though you can kinda hear their presence. It then loops after a little bit.
    I can probably make a video of it if needed. It was on a bog planet at night, as I stated before. I was also in a Floran town, not sure it that changes anything. Let me know if I can help in anyway, or even if it's not a bug.

3. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

I disagree. The new stuff is entirely optional, and none is required to progress in FU. It merely adds all sorts of things that you can opt to use, should you so desire. There are a few new materials, yes. This is in an effort to provide at least some reason to visit every biome at some point. That and streamline things a bit. I can then reduce overall complexity of individual recipes in the process while also making things a bit more interesting.

If you just want a basic lab, you won't need them. I do plan on adding more machines, but one thing at a time.

I also help to tackle storage space issues by giving out a free gene locker early in the questlines, too.

Further adjustments will come.

In the end though, you'll notice little difference beyond a few swapped recipes and a couple "real life" chemical/gas ingredients.

Finally: Don't knock it till you've tried it all out. I wasn't sold on the new Science stuff. And then I wired them up and used them. And I love them. Remember, this is the github release and it exists specifically for people to test and chime in before formal mod releases. So far, no one has complained about the changes in play. If it's disliked I can always work it out in other ways.

thats probably in the new ambient sounds. i may have missed that. ill have to take a look and see.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  4. ChillChinchilla

Alright, Just wanted to let you know. :3

5. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

no worries. its probably something in the background of one of the ambience sounds that I didnt notice from listening too low. Do you recall if it was night or day at the time?

6. DeNarr

DeNarr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I added this to the FU wiki.

7. ChillChinchilla

It was at night on a bog planet. I heard it again so I think it is an ambience. Though as I said it might not be brand new due to the fact that I usually listen to music while playing.

8. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

no, its brand new. I added ambience a patch or two ago. Looks like i missed some background noise. Night, Bog. Check.

9. DeNarr

That sounds like of cool. Is it just meant to be creepy voices messing with people?

10. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

lol you kidding go to an atropus world i kept hearing eldritch like stuff and a woman repeatily saying wake up

11. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

no, if its bog, its not meant to be creepy at all. its frogs and crickets and shit like that. so ill need to swap it out with one that does NOT feature a kid and her dad talking. as i said, i listened to them laaaaaate at night when i added them in and probably missed the subtle speech or something. Plus a few were long, so I skipped through bits of the track and such.

Atropus is totally on purpose :)

12. DeNarr

Ah, I think of Bogs as being like swamps. So childrens voices just make me think of Will-o-the-wisps trying to play tricks on people.

13. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

well, bogs essentially are swamps. So yea :)

14. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

All I've seen of Bees is bee-themed decorations and the occasional weapon. Doesn't interest me much. The hive biome is nice when it's found though...

15. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

i havent played with the bees content much either. Though I do love that I can toss down some FU flowers and theyll speed up bee breeding

16. TempTemp

TempTemp Star Wrangler

Well the worse part of the bees for me is that one of the needed bees seems to only appear on really hot worlds. This means you need to go quite a ways into the game before you can get to the best bees.[DOUBLEPOST=1445903396][/DOUBLEPOST]After doing some hunting and looking at the code, I feel that wolframite ore is a bit too rare. It fills a mid level bottleneck yet is rather hard to find. I've found diamonds much easier and they have far more ways to make them besides mining for them. Since tungsten only comes from the one method it should be easier to find that way then things that can be found a number of other ways.

I would also like to point out that Tungsten Bars unlock the same stuff as Quietus bars. Seems a bit werid since none of those items need tungsten.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Freezair likes this.
  17. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Are you looking for Wolframite on Mountainous biomes as intended? It will be quite rare on Primeval, Rainforest, Bog or any other biome that uses the arboreal ore table. Mountainous has it's own ore table now, and Wolframite is about as common as other ores there (moreso underground). I haven't had much time to test actual rarity, but my first two trips netted me more than 60 ore. That seems pretty decent. We'll keep an eye on it anyhow, though.

As for it's unlocks: not a surprise, since I copied and then renamed the quietus file for testing purposes. It will be fixed for actual release. I'm still mucking with the lua for the arc smelter and such to get it working as I want.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  18. chean

chean Pangalactic Porcupine

Based on two trips to Mountainous planets looking for wolframite, I'd agree that it might be too rare right now, as I found exactly none of it, and one of those searches was pretty thorough. Might be related to the way those planets max out at threat level 3 (which both of the planets I went to were) -- IIRC threat level and ore level/density are closely linked. The fact that I then got close to 300 wolframite from a single mining trip to a Insane-level Sulphurous planet seems to support that, since this ore isn't high on the priority list for that biome. Mining trips like that would be fairly risky with mid-game gear, though. So, raising the max threat level for Mountainous might help.

Actually, is there a particular reason for the low max-threat on Tidewater and Mountainous? Tidewater is always 3, Mtn. is 2-3, while the quite comparable Arboreal is 2-5, Wasteland is 1-5 etc. Raising the max to 5 would make those planets a little interesting in general IMHO; as it is I tend to ignore them (low threat, few/low value ores, low value chest weapons etc).

19. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

Any chance we'd see quantum versions of the arc smelter and so on, like we have for the extractor?

*wikis wolframite* Huh. It's a real mineral. Silly name, I thought it was made up.

20. chean

chean Pangalactic Porcupine

Arc Smelter is already extremely powerful... and takes a lot of power; I guess a 'quantum smelter' would need a whole array of fission reactors just to run. :gooby: But, such upgrades for e.g. the powder sifter/atmospheric condenser could be cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.