1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Frackin Universe and other mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by psyny, Aug 22, 2018.

1. psyny

psyny Seal Broken

Hello!

I've started playing Starbound game with a friend last week. Not many hours into game yet ( below 20 ) but spent a lot of time reading about the mods.

I inevitably came across Frackin Universe many times and most ppl says "it's best to finish the vanilla game before going into it", but... I don't know if my friend will want to start over after a finished game, so maybe I will try it first shot since most things I read about FU pleases me.

But I have two concerns about it, one superficial and other not... Can anybody help me?

1) Complaints I saw about FU #1: "The crafting system is overly complex", how so? Its tedious? Too customizable? Its... bad?
    I usually like being able to do a lot, but not required to do so.

2) Complaints I saw about FU #2: "Many art styles seems like they don't belong in main game". An old complaint... Still feel like that?

Mods i have already installed and loving it:
    -Weapon Fusion Mod
    -Elithian Races
    -More Planet Info
    -UGO
    -Weapon Stats
    -Accesss to pets earlier (forgot the name)

A feature I think I will enjoy a lot later in game is the Mechs, and I love Pet systems... so:

3) Any recomendation for mech mods?

4) Any recomendation for pet mods? The system seems very simple with a lot of room for improvement...

Thanks in advance!

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to FU. I only played with it for a short time so someone more familiar will be able to answer better. But I think the complaint about the crafting is that there is a lot of new stuff. It's very easy to feel inundated and not know what to do. There's tons of new crafting materials, stations, and crafted items.

As for the art style I somewhat agree with it. The art for some of it doesn't quite match the "standard" CF set for the game. It's easy to overlook though.

Can't answer anything about the other mods. I don't really use mods.

psyny likes this.
  3. psyny

psyny Seal Broken

Thanks very much =)

I think I can handle the crafting. :)

And for art style... It may be a issue for me =/ But I think I will create a character to try it out.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Ive not played FU myself, but Ive heard that some find the crafting a bit TOO complex. Too many materials, too much processing to get the final components, etc.But that wasn't indicative of the majority. The crafting is more complex compared to vanilla Starbound, but not necessarily a problem.

What I have seen of the sprites, yeah, some of them are a little off, but overall, its not really an issue.

psyny likes this.
  5. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

The sprites are crisper in general, which does mean they stand out more. The good news with that is you are only really talking about building blocks and not terrain so much. Ironically, it is the higher visible tech level that in this space game looks more high tech than other things. Some of the weapons are a little bit Final Fantasy-esque as well (buster sword), but the weapons are already comically oversized so it isn't that much of a stretch.

As for the processing and crafting, well, yes, I sometimes take pictures of the screen with my phone because I need to craft 2-3 items with 5 materials each in order to craft the thing I actually want, for example. But a true hoarder will have no problem with this as they will be crafting in batches. Sometimes I end up having to go fetch a specific kind of block from a specific kind of world (like needing sand for glass, which also happens in Vanilla), and that CAN be a pain, but usually I end up on some kind of adventure in so doing and 3 hours later I finally go back to base and have a full inventory and forgot the sand. D'oh!

Things like that can be seen as a positive or a negative. Personally when a game provides goals for me but also enough else to do that I don't 1+1=n where n=victory, I am pleased.

And once you get into the later stages of the game, have automated most of your tediums, and realize that your humble dirt room base has turned into a 3 screen wide science lab that makes your computer cry every time you teleport in, it's pretty satisfying.