1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

For the bronies in the house

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WelshPixie, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

So basically something along the lines of Terraria's plumber vanity set.

2. Maplestrip

Maplestrip Existential Complex

Yes, but more like the 'pink pony' skin of the horses group, in this case.
    Won't happen of course, but I think that it would almost be legel in that way =)

3. Volpe Nico

Volpe Nico Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It might be a touch more difficult with this versus the Plumber vanity set. Terraria is dealing with a much smaller base sprite size, and so when they did the vanity sets, they
    had the suspension of belief simply due to low resolution. Starbound has a much higher level of detail, so they'd probably have to do something beyond just removing
    a cutie mark, likely getting down to avoiding using similar mane-styles. Fair-use/parody laws exist to allow some bending of copyright, but ultimately it's up to the copyright
    holder to decide if they feel it's fair-use or infringement.

That said, the people involved in the show have already shown a high level of awareness toward their fandom, including using fan-made names of background characters
    in official production (Derpy, DJ Pon-3, etc). I'd put money down that they themselves wouldn't take too much exception. Hasbro, on the other hand, who can say?

4. Maplestrip

I wouldn't know much about how far the MLP-creators would go, but I do understand your point. Maybe changing manes or something like that would help in that way, but I don't know... I guess as they're not using it anyway, it doesn't matter to think about how they could do it...

Volpe Nico likes this.
  5. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I think it should just be put to rest. There's no serious need for a reference to anything and there's no point risking a scandal.
    It's been pointed out that the drawing of pinkie pie being ridden by superman is just a joke drawing.

6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

accialy in copywrite law your aloud to make refrences

its like how MLP had a Big Lebowshi refrence without geting copyright murdered

honesly if Starbound had Randomly Generating Horses that had the Same Mane type as the mane 6 Randomly as a refrence would be find as me

7. Volpe Nico

Volpe Nico Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's what Fair Use/Parody is about. Without it magazines like Mad wouldn't be allowed to do their spoofs. The law states that material can be referenced for satirical purposes so long as it is implicitly stated/inferred that the material does not belong to the person making the reference.

8. daantjuhw

daantjuhw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so as long they use other pop culture references, without making this particular pony a part of the story line and more like an easter egg, it would not be copyright infringement. and with the creature generation system there is a possibility you get combinations that look like existing cartoon creatures. that can't be helped if you the chances of getting a pink horse is like 0,01%

9. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, they will NOT be in the game (Hasbro), but as far as I'm concerned, the modding community (if an API exists) will have that handled within days, if not hours.

10. Maplestrip

True. The biggest problem for that would probably be the removing of the superman and turning the gif sprite into frames. The modders could probably do the rest relatively easily using the same code as the other horses use. I think...

EDIT: Problem wasn't really the right word. Perhaps that would be what would take the longest, or something...

11. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

Why use the sprite? I say, make new ones that are more visually appealing. I want ponies with a story and more than simple mount animations. Equestria Planet FTW.

[/harcorebrony]

12. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

Rage, hate, and arguing in the bronies thread. Who would've thought it? Oh wait, everybody. Seriously guys.

13. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

I don't see any rage, hate and arguing. I see discussions that are being handled maturely. There's no name-calling, sarcasm (well, before this post...), toys being flung unceremoniously from prams - there's just a bunch of people with different opinions chatting about them.

Maplestrip and daantjuhw like this.
  14. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

but
    but Dal stole my Fluttershy dolly and won't give it back
    I have been chasing him all over the Trade District for days

15. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

I'll have a word with him if you give me 42 Gold and about 110 XP points?

16. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I think I'll just steal his wind-up gorilla in the next expansion
    that will show him

17. Maplestrip

Yes, this is a very mature thread xD
    On-topic, however,
    Why not use the sprite we already have? I mean, making an entirely new sprite matching the games style would be a lot more work, though maybe it could also pay off more.
    This makes me hope this game supports texture packs again...
    (I'll definetaly be making a Terraria Texture pack for Starbound =P)

18. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

you seem to be forgetting that they are not the same game
    a Terraria TP would make you try and play it like Terraria
    Besides why would you want your game to look like an inferior version of itself

19. Maplestrip

Why are there texture packs on terraria called "8-bit"? Just for the fun of it, I guess, maybe because of some memories, or just to keep things interesting. As Terraria has a lot less sprites than Starbound, it could never be a complete pack too...

20. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm, just came back to check how this discussion went on. And I'm positively surprised! No raging, no flaming, no "bronies suck"
    This community is more mature than I thought!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.