1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

For the bronies in the house

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WelshPixie, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

We also shouldn't have air, because its in like every video game ever.

2. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well that and they're everywhere, and heavily used. Guess We might as well through out chain swords as well, hopefully never the chain saw

3. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

And how many video games have horses, or horse-like entities, in them?

4. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Quite a few. But the real thing is due you want this game with Hasbro's technicolor ponies in it. I'm fine with living mounts, for the record.

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i think someones a brony in denile =3

this would be wicked sick if it was in the game as a refrence

6. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Yes. My magical horses will live in a wonderful world of sugarplums and gumdrops.
    I'm not saying that there has to be Pinkie Pie in all her glory in the game, they'd have to do licensing and stuff and that would be uncreative. Pop Culture references are not copying something perfectly, it's something you look at and get a good chuckle because you understand the reference.

Also, consider this: if there are horse-type mobs in the game, it's not farfetched that the random color will be bright technicolor on some planets. People could tame those and name them after MLP characters anyway, so an actual reference wouldn't make much of a difference at that point.

7. Vizendel

Vizendel Pangalactic Porcupine

SadFaic.

Actually Happface. I hate Pinkie Pie, when you're that happy you should have some horrible secret.

If it was Fluttershy or Derpy I'd be sadfaic.

8. Maplestrip

Maplestrip Existential Complex

9. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

[​IMG]
    Clever! It's is essentially the same matter. Using the argument that it should't be referenced without having a significant reason WHY it shouldn't. At least one that cant be applied to other things like this.

10. daantjuhw

daantjuhw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

almost every new game on the market is filled with pop culture references. if you have ever played skyrim, you'll understand my point. i believe this is a way for the game developer to express their respect for their colleagues in the business (or the movie industry).
    I'm not a brony myself, but i would find it pretty entertaining to have a MLP mount :rofl:

but if you choose to not buy a game because of 1 reference you don't like, you'll probably won't buy any games in the near future. :rolleyes:
    oh yeah, don't hate on someone's interests and hobbies, you probably have interests that other people will dislike and you don't want them to hate on that ;)

Pinkie Pie likes this.
  11. Attribule

Attribule Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1) That image was confirmed as a JOKE by the staff themselves. Brassmonocle and Legris both told us - We were in Legris' amazing art-stream - that it was a joke, and that they were surprised so many thought it was serious. And this was back when it was originally shown, not just now. Apparently one of the staff likes Superman, and they ended up making that image as a joke.

2) People here apparently have no idea what a ''reference'' is. Using that image would be more like copyright infringement, not a ''reference''. It's an exact image of the My Little Pony character, being used in a game that they will profit off of. You get the idea.

3) I am disappoint.

12. PuppyVolcano

PuppyVolcano Subatomic Cosmonaut

Its only a reference, who cares?!
    one tiny sprite in the game makes absolutely no difference
    I mean I hate mlp, but I still don't care if they add just one custom sprite in as a shout out, its all in the name of fun.
    It would make a lot of people happy, and effects me in no way so I see no problem in it providing they get the creators of the shows permission

13. Maplestrip

I think it's too bad. Now I'm not so sure about if there will be 1,000nds of different horse skins :S
    I know someone who is happy, though ; )

14. ante87

ante87 Title Not Found

Is it a rule yet that if you bring up MLP in any capacity on the internet outside of designated brony-zones, it will cause a crapstorm? Varying levels of crapstorm (I'd rate this a 2/10 in severity,) but a crapstorm nonetheless.

15. Maplestrip

There is always one person getting a bit rude in some way, so I guess so. Maybe the "What's up with the bronies" thread has less, I think. Jusdge that one ; )
    (It's in off topic I believe)

16. daantjuhw

daantjuhw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i totally agree with you. they would get around it by removing the tattoo/mark. by deleting the MLP trademark, you get a pretty basic pink (alien?) horse so it wouldn't be copyright infringement. :up:

i'd like to see more references like that in starbound.

17. Metakarta

Metakarta Master Chief

this is amazing nuff said

18. Volpe Nico

Volpe Nico Scruffy Nerf-Herder

With the vast potentiality this game presents, not even going into the inevitable modding scene liable to rise up around it, any argument for or against any single possible inclusion seems pointless. Joke or not, if a Technicolor Equine of dubious origin were to make it into the game, reference or no, it will have no direct baring on the over-all quality of the finished product. Now, if they were included in preferment over other mount skins...? That'd be a horse of a different colour...

rjhw1, Ryfyle and Maplestrip like this.
  19. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

well asuming some of the staff are fans of the show it would be a crime to not have a refrence
    yes im talking to you!

20. Volpe Nico

Volpe Nico Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Perhaps, but as Attribule pointed out, if it's not handled with care (or left up to the potential mod community) it could literally be a crime to have that reference.

Copyright law is something that can be used to beat smaller companies/groups into the ground. The smartest thing the SB devs could do would be to leave
    it up to the modding community, if for nothing else than to avoid a potential lawsuit, or make an allusion to it rather than a direct reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.