1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Food in inventory/containers/hotbar

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Phantom Miria, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Phantom Miria

Phantom Miria Phantasmal Quasar

Their icons should have a visual indicator, like a little bar or maybe whole icon background a la "don't starve", indicating their spoilage state because having to hover one by one to check that isn't as practical as opening the tab and having a glance be enough to get all the info.

Another QoL option would be to make the auto sort take spoil into consideration as to make food same food types have spoil state as secondary sorting rule instead of being random as it seems to be currently.

Lastly, it would be great to be able to stack food items, having the resulting spoil state become the average or something, instead of having the ten carrots and the ten tomatoes you just farmed use up half of your inventory already.

Shaadaris and Ceois like this.
  2. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think something they could do is have stages of spoil and ones of the same stage stack.
    The problem here is how do you determine the time til the next spoil stage when a new item hits the stack.
    Do you keep the value as is and potentially spoil the new food added immediately?
    Do you average them and allow the system to be abused by freshening up a stack before it spoils?

3. Phantom Miria

It does an average, meaning that the bigger the stack, the smaller the effect a new item has on the resulting spoil stage. Can't really say it's a perfect solution but it would definitely be much better than every single item taking an extra slot.

4. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Don't think they're going to become stackable again any time soon (something something balance something), but I definitely agree with the spoilage indicatior. Having not played nightly for a while I didn't even know that wasn't a thing, and it's baffling. I'd thought it would be an obvious addition, and would make food managment slightly less tedious. Just something simple like Minecraft's durability bars would work for minimal extra spritework and the best consistency.

Also, I approve of your avatar.

5. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with all points made by the OP. Having just tried out the unstable I can say that my biggest issue, other than game breaking bugs, was the lack of these food/survival mechanics.

It would also be nice that when cooking an item, the one closest to spoiling gets cooked.

6. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep. Especially as the box pops up at the lower part of the screen with deteroration text at the lowest part of is, that often doesn't even fit. That forces me to manually put food in first row to just have a chance to see it's state! It's very clumsy and I hope they'll make an easier way of showing food freshness.

However, I strongly disagree with stacking proposition. Making all food stacked would take away the challenge of organizing your food and is technically impossible, as every piece of the same kind may be in different states of freshness.

7. Phantom Miria

I wondered about balance too but as of now it's not like not starving is a challenge at all. Simply taking a stroll on the surface on the first planet is already enough to have a stock for quite some time mining underground without any risks of running out of food and past that, simply following the S.A.I.L. tips is enough to get a farm going and have a steady supply of it. Even more, there is the grains/mushroom hole, they stack, never spoil and take just a simple campfire to be made into something effective against hunger.

Balance wise, I believe the biggest problem with stacking is already in game with the grains and mushroom but, supposing that gets changed, stacking shouldn't be a problem since everything will still spoil at the same pace whether you have a slot with one or with 10 items... It would be a problem only if the game provided some sort of challenge involving time, amount or spoil state, like having to help a starving colony (amount constraint) or deliver some amount with a minimum level of freshness (time/state constraint). Those do not seem to be in game tho.

This would be a great addition too.

There's a challenge in organizing food? As far as I have seen, it's merely a matter of hovering one by one to identify the ones closest to spoiling and consuming/selling those first.

8. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Oh, by the way: Is it possible to eat spoiled food?

9. Phantom Miria

Nah, it turns into something inedible.

10. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

God dmn it..