RELEASED FLO - New Custom NPC [XNB & SMAPI]

Discussion in 'Mods' started by randomAnon123, Oct 11, 2016.

1. randomAnon123

randomAnon123 Orbital Explorer

I don't really know if I'm the person most suited for a tutorial - custom NPCs have been done before with varying degrees of success, even with SMAPI.
    And I generally suck at writing guides and stuff. But I'll see what I can do after I'm definitely done with Flo.

Birthday: done and done! It's actually a variable in the NPCDispositions.xnb file.
    [​IMG]

I still haven't tried messing with the festivals, since I'm currently trying to work out what I want Flo's events to be, if I want his heart events to be apart from the added Joja story, and if I want to create branching storylines - which is totally doable, I think.

I've also spent a bit of time updating my old Yandere Jas mod (some people on the general wanted an update :V) - I might upload it, if I figure out a video to go along with it (I have fun doing those). And also, hot damn Flo is popular.
    As in, I didn't think he'd be this popular X3

By the way, Bouhm updated his NPC Map Locations Mod, which is now compatible with Flo (and custom NPCs with schedules in general)!

• badungu

badungu Void-Bound Voyager

I struggled a bit with SMAPI Modding these days and Flo was a good test object. As source I took the Ashley Smapi Mod to get into it and with the SMAPI version its not longer neccessary, to edit the Save File. Also I've unhardcoded the Initital Event, the NPCGifttastes and the NPCDispositions, the only file I'm currently not able to unhardcode is the animationDescriptions file, but I will try in the future... :) (Works great with the updated NPC Map Locations Mod also.)

Also I think it's easy to add him to festivals if wanted, if randomAnon123 would write Content for it... :)

You can find the v0.1Alpha version here, if you find any bugs, let me know... :)
      http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/jaq73tWv/file.html

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
        foghorn and randomAnon123 like this.
      • DJ_Zapple

DJ_Zapple Pangalactic Porcupine

I actually have another question, which is mostly about Flo as a person - why does he seem to love everything I give him? o.o I mean, I've only given him two different items (Dandelion, Sweet Pea), and he loved BOTH. Is he just a sweetheart at heart and loves girly stuff, or did you accidentally make him love everything? :p

• randomAnon123

He might be a little into flowers and sweet things, but I'll have to rework it a bit. It's way too easy to befriend him right now (I might not have thought it through when I edited his likes :rofl:)

• DJ_Zapple

No kidding. I JUST got him to 10 hearts, on Fall of year 1. (To be fair, I have Shane at 9 hearts.)

• velverette

velverette Subatomic Cosmonaut

I love this, can't wait until he's marriageable :)

Dakmordian, Draksy and randomAnon123 like this.
              • XaviiKinz

XaviiKinz Space Penguin Leader

My god, Flo's amazing. He's rapidly becoming one of my favorite NPCs.
                Can't wait to see what you decide to do with his storyline!

randomAnon123 likes this.
                • pikachu594

pikachu594 Void-Bound Voyager

Can i send you mine i dont want to be rude and put you through the burden but...

• randomAnon123

Don't worry, go ahead! Maybe through a PM, so as to not flood the thread.

• pikachu594

pikachu594 Void-Bound Voyager

whats a pm?

• randomAnon123

PM = Personal Message. Or just click on my username and then click on "Start a conversation".

• randomAnon123

*Added a SMAPI version of the mod in the OP.

I slightly edited @badungu's source code to also add Flo to festivals (only three, really. I don't think he needs to participate in all of the events - but I might add him to the Stardew Fair and the Spirit's Eve in the future).
                          I decided to upload the SMAPI version of the mod for all those having problems with the save editing aspect.
                          I've tried adding the event through SMAPI, too, but I can't seem to trigger it.

I was thinking of an alternative to the whole "adding the event code directly in the mod".
                          To anyone more SMAPI-savvy than me, would it be possible to add a "FloEvents.xnb" file to the Events folder, and make it so that the SMAPI mod only copies & pastes, so to speak, the line of the event (since it's all on one line, technically) to the corresponding event file? I realize that it's probably not doable.
                          I'm not even sure that what I wrote makes any sense.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
                          • velarixx

velarixx Orbital Explorer

For some reason, the game isn't letting me give Flo gifts... I can talk to him and everything normally but it's just the gifts that seem to not be working.

• randomAnon123

Really? Weird. Are you using the xnb mod or the SMAPI one?
                              Because honestly both of them work fine for me (I tried them on new saves). The only problem I can think of is if you're using the xnb mod and you haven't overwritten the NPCGiftTastes.xnb file with the one from the mod.

• DJ_Zapple

Out of curiosity, would adding the SMAPI stuff have him appear in a save that was made with the save editing?

• velarixx

After checking the .xnb version I originally downloaded, I found out that it was actually missing that file along with another Data file. I don't know how that happened, but either way I downloaded the .xnb version again and everything is working fine now. Overall, I'm in love with Florence!

• randomAnon123

Well, the SMAPI mod only adds him to the save file if he isn't already there - so my guess is that he'd just continue to exist normally if you'd already added him through save editing.

Glad to know that he works!

• velarixx

By the way, it seems like Alex's name is showing up as Alexiel.
                                      I feel kind of bad for pointing this out but I swear I have good intentions...

• randomAnon123

Don't worry, it's important to know if I've missed something/uploaded the wrong file.
                                        And yep, for the nth time, I got some files mixed up. It's kinda hard keeping track of them :rofl:
                                        Try redownloading it now.

• DJ_Zapple

Speaking of errors, I recall at some point, of which I can't even recall anymore, that one line of Flo's dialogue had a misspelling. I can't remember which, or what it was, but it was there... Meh, it doesn't matter. It's not as important!