1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Flight of the FSS Foregone Conclusion

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by AngleWyrm, Aug 21, 2017.

1. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Combat Tactics

When going on a mercenary mission, spend all money first: Buy fuel with anything left over, so that the death penalty becomes meaningless.

When facing LOLmobs -- the guys that 1-hit for 500+ damage -- set up a solid defensive position. There's Tar rain on this example world, so I've built an overhead roof. The opening to fire through while jumping is 3 blocks high so that no one can run through it. In addition, I've later improved the position with a ladder to the roof, so that companions will follow me up and then jump into the fray.
    [​IMG]

For quest hubs like Camp sites, I don't do them individually, instead first gathering all available quests. There's a few that contract hired guns to assist, and you can wind up with a nice little squad to take down the quest monsters.
    [​IMG]

2. AngleWyrm

The home of Wohan & Hanabar, and their droid.
    Wohan is an alchemist who spends her days brewing various salves and potions from the garden.
    Hanabar takes care of site security, which apparently mostly consists of inspecting the flag.

[​IMG]

3. AngleWyrm

Mercia the marine biologist

One day I was just hanging out at a Glitch tavern, having an ale and looking for quests, when I overheard a drunken sailor going on about a honey mermaid. At first I figured he meant a mermaid honey, but nope, he seemed quite insistent that honey was involved. So after buying him a couple rounds he gave me the coordinates of the strange sea that he had been sailing. It was a sea of honey floating on top of an aether ocean, with pockets of water dotted along the bottom.

So I hired Mercia, a marine biologist to set up shop in a sea lab at the bottom of the strange sea.
    [​IMG]

The double-door airlock with a drain tank worked well for me but not so well for Mercia who didn't seem to mind flooding the facility. So I sealed the outer door. Later on, when I get the third upgrade to the matter manipulator that adds wiring, I can hook the door to a couple switches.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. AngleWyrm

Information Management

One of the aspects of this game involves exploration and discovery of various recipes for ingredients through construction/deconstruction of materials. But storage and retrieval of those discoveries is a bit underdeveloped, so I've implemented a system for information storage.
    [​IMG]

Each row in the storage crates nearby a machine has a divider (I'm using hazard blocks) with inputs on the left and outputs on the right. So the small wooden crates which are easy to get early on can serve both as ingredient storage and as information storage, recording the inputs and outputs of the machines.

A further improvement, I've been left-justifying inputs and right-justifying outputs, which eliminates the need for the divider.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  5. AngleWyrm

Weather or Not

While sorting through some mods to pick my favorites from the set that don't all work together, I did a bunch of restarts. And I soon learned the weather on Lush and Desert worlds is not always the same set of possibilities. Some of them have rain storms and lightning, some have butterfly migrations and blue skies.

So my latest start included an initial scan of the Lush starter world and the in-system Desert world for acceptable weather before diving into the game.

[​IMG]

6. AngleWyrm

Clockmaker
    Garden bots are great at tending the garden. They can be built once the furnace has been upgraded twice to an atomic furnace in order to build the silicon board ingredient. Before then they can be purchased at Terramart for pixels.

So to get pixels at game start, I've been crafting wall clocks and selling them at Infinitymart for 150 pixels each. Once I have the supplies to upgrade the Inventor's table to an Engineering table, I'll be able to build a Kitchen Counter where juices and jams can produce a higher number of pixels in trade for labor.

[​IMG]

7. AngleWyrm

The Armory
    Mid-level lab for research and development of armor, augments and weapons.
    Thus far the most needed and yet scarcest resource I've run across has been Durasteel. It probably has to do with the luck of the draw.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  8. AngleWyrm

Cooking class
    Recently hired a chef by adding a tenant deed to the kitchen, and he had a bunch of high-end dishes for sale; expensive treats for 200~300 pixels. Most of them taught their recipe, so that I could then go on to make and sell any for I wished to gather ingredients.

[​IMG]

9. AngleWyrm

XP Farming
    The RPG growth mod adds an experience point system, mostly for killing mobs. On the planets I currently visit, mob kills get an XP orb worth around 30~50 xp. But xp is also given for doing other things, such as harvesting from the garden. It's only a handful of xp for harvesting a crop whenever they ripen, but garden bots can do that job; they'll put the xp orbs in the collection container along with all the other harvests.

Attempting to directly click on an xp orb from the container inventory doesn't work (they just disappear), but pressing the take all button produces the expected result of transferring the xp orbs to the character's xp bar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. AngleWyrm

The Real McCoy
    There are portable versions of the various shops, the TerraCart and Frogg Home Delivery -- but not all the mods put their stuff in both. With the Spawnable Item Pack, it's possible to print up the full-size version of the shops which carry all the stuff made for them. And since the price is an almost irrelevant 10~50 pixels for the portable ones, printing up a free full-size version isn't OP and spares a trip to LagVille.

[​IMG]

11. AngleWyrm

Mob Farming
    More fun with the RPG Growth mod. The Monster Spawner mod gives a way to spawn them into the game.

So I wired a spawner to a set of shackles; pulling on them summons monsters. The bottom of the pit is filled with a pool of poison, and I have poison-resist armor and a ricochette weapon with some knockback to bump them into the pit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  12. AngleWyrm

Slaughterhouse-2
    Research and Development lab on a poison world, investigating alien metabolism.

In this version of a mob farm, a garden bot collects the mob drops and delivers them to a chest. With the Smart Tubes mod the items in the chest are automatically transferred to a nearby refrigerator, where the meat will remain fresh.

[​IMG]

13. AngleWyrm

Life in the desert

Deserts often have duststorms that accumulate loose silt; ever have to dig out your front door? Here's a solution: Tunnel down to a cavern immediately below the edge of the roof. The loose silt rolls off the roof and falls down the chute. It only needs one tile to do so, and the peeps can walk across a one-tile opening.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  14. AngleWyrm

NPC Farm

Apparently NPCs poop money; it's some sort of loot-drop mechanic where pixels just appear out of thin air. They do require a light in their rooms so maybe they convert light into pixels?

A dozen tenant deeds produces about 1,000 pixels/day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  15. AngleWyrm

Open Door Policy
    AI mobs in the wild are typically of the zombie variety; they'll pour through doorways to get head-shot one by one, or an army of them can be defeated by agro-ing the outermost group a little at a time. They each go about their own thing, oblivious to the action around them. Which includes opening and closing doors.

Wiring all the doors to a toggle switch avoids that problem.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  16. AngleWyrm

Radiation Hazard Pay
    Alien worlds have a high radiation level, requiring special geer for the player, but not the NPCs. Since they are a higher tier world than Savannah, the tennants give higher rent payments for living there. Strange but true. One thing to watch out for is don't save the game while on an alien world; there's a bug in the system that causes even a properly equipped player to lose most of their health when restoring the game.

[​IMG]

17. AngleWyrm

Camp Grow Your Own
    Recent advances in agriculture have made it possible to rapidly grow virtually anything ( Ore Plants - Cheated ). The great part is that it strips out a lot of waiting around for the RNG after completing quests. Got enough crew? No problem, just grow those ship upgrade modules. Need a bit more oomph out of your Manipulator? Hey modules grow on trees. I also had fun growing/rolling several dozen random weapons with the Manufacturer's Touch mod, which gave a Borderlandsy feel to the loot drops.

[​IMG]