Flashlight settings

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by klauskirkelein, May 2, 2013.

1. klauskirkelein

klauskirkelein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello!

I'm suggesting something as simple as a range setting for the flashlight, just like you have on a real world example. Near setting makes for wider spread but shorter range, and far setting vice versa. It would perhaps be only near and far setting as to not make things to complicated and cluttered.

I noticed in some of the streams that a flashlight with a wider beam but shorter range could be nice for when navigating narrow caves. If it were switchable by some hotkey one could easily switch between the two modes.

Maybe this is too much clutter and would be a source of unneeded complexity... Another alternative could be different models with different specs.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks!

2. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

+1, I agree with adding the ability to change the modes on a flashlight. That or having the ability to click it off.

oooooor...
    [​IMG]

klauskirkelein likes this.
  3. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

Yeah I can totally get behind this idea.
    Upgrade your flash light to show hidden mobs or something. An infra-red version mebbe.
    Or.. anything.
    Just give the flash light a little more utility to make it even cooler ^_^

Xylidya and bounding star like this.
  4. Zoolot

Invisble mobs, please no.

5. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

Its the vastness of the entire cosmos dude....
    There is GOT to be some creature that turns itself invisible.
    I'm saying we get the flashlight power and the special light damages and reveals them. Equipment for special situations :3

6. Zoolot

Fine, but no Bloodsuckers, they give me nightmares:
    [​IMG]

7. klauskirkelein

They were one of the best part of that game! Terrifying. I wouldn't know if that kind of terror would translate to the 2D world of Starbound, though :p

How 'bout a whole planet of invisible mobs! A ghost world, or is it? :O *whistles the x-files theme*

8. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Astral Cartographer

I support this idea! Also, I want to be able to change the color of my flashlight beam. I think that would be cool. But then there would be the whole thing about the mixing of colors and what not. I dunno if they would go for that..

9. klauskirkelein

Yeah I could really see how it'd be cumbersome for the devs to get the colours in order.

10. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

I have found a way to do this, hold the flashlight button, (whichever mouse key it's allocated to) then move the mouse wheel up and down to adjust range.
    Maybe there's more than one way to upgrade your flashlight other than just range settings. You could upgrade it to attach to weapons, you can upgrade it to LED (energy efficient and much brighter) Shoot different kinds of light such as ultraviolet or infrared. And attach it to hats for a constant, hands free light source. Flashlights are the best weapons in the game.

11. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Astral Cartographer

Hell maybe even implement a mod for the flashlight to where you can temporarily blind and stun a mob. That would be neat but would take a decent amount of energy.

Xylidya likes this.
  12. klauskirkelein

That could be a good way to do it! There's no doubt in my mind that they'll implement weapon and hat lights, I even think they may have mentioned that. Some upgrades like LED are a great idea, too. It would be fun if it's a specific light of your choosing that you attach, and not just some generic light, so you could bring along your upgrades and that customisation. :)

13. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like to see some customization with the flashlight, just to make it a bit more personal i suppose.

14. klauskirkelein

Striped light!

15. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Speaking of Terror, I haven't seen much un-pregenerated mobs like that moon one. The one that dislodges their jaw and like gets tentacles out of it's gaping mouth.
    ._.