1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help [FIXED] Setting a LAN Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Koh, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Koh

Koh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello, Starbounders! :virorb:

I'm having a problem on setting a proper Server configuration to run Starbound with my LAN. I don't know what I'm missing but I'm able to play Terraria normally with the set up I made.

I'm running the server in my PC with this set up:

IP Address: 192.168.1.101

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8

Alternative DNS Server: 8.8.4.4

My sister is using this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.103

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8

Alternative DNS Server: 8.8.4.4

I already forwarded/allowed the TCP port: 21025 in my Router configuration, in my Antivirus and in my PC Firewall.

The next thing I do is this:

1. Go to Starbound folder and locate the win64 folder.
    2. Open the starbound_server.exe located in the win64 folder.
    3. Open Starbound via PLAY on Steam. I've also tried to open starbound.exe located in the win64 folder.
    4. Click on JOIN GAME and type 127.0.0.1 (localhost) or 192.168.1.101 on the Address, and Port: 21025.
    5. I manage to enter the game by doing this, and the Server recognizes this.
    6. My sister opens the game the same way I do, and types 192.168.1.101 (my PC's IP Address) Port: 21025
    After that she only gets errors for connection attempting and the server doesn't register anything from her.

I'm running the Server in a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition OS. I'd appreciate help in this case. I've searched for help around the web, but I haven't found any solution to this problem yet.

NOTE: The starbound_server.log is attached to this thread in case anyone needs it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Port forwarding is 100% unnecessary for LAN based servers.

Literally all you need to do is run the server software. Then, have your sister connect using your computer's IP address. Only possible additional thing you may need to do is allow the server software through your computer's firewall, though I have never had to do this, ever.

Dunto likes this.
  3. chronodekar

chronodekar Space Hobo

Hello Koh,

Can it be possible that you are having some kind of firewall issue? My suggestion is to,

1. Switch off the firewall on your PC (192.168.1.101)
    2. Just double-click the starbound_server.exe (guess you are already doing this)
    3. Start starbound.exe (via Steam or directly - shouldn't matter)
    4. In your game, select Join Game and enter 192.168.1.101, (NOT localhost or 127.0.0.1) and do NOT mention port number
    5. Start starbound.exe on your sister's PC, select Join Game and try only the port, 192.168.1.101, in this case - it should join up.

If the game is indeed working without your firewall running, then it would appear to be some kind of configuration issue.

4. lazarus78

If he is playing from the same computer he is hosting from, using 127.0.0.1 is better, otherwise it involved the router unnecessaraly just for him to connect to himself. 127.0.0.1 will connect him to himself without having to ever leave his computer.

5. Koh

Koh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to check the PC's Firewall again tomorrow. It's weird tho'.

I'll disable the Firewall to see if it works. Also it's interesting that the Port is not needed for playing in a LAN. :up:

In the step 5 you meant "...and try only the IP address", right? I'll do these steps tomorrow when my sister is awake. I haven't tried without mentioning the Port nor the PC's Firewall disabled yet. :nod:

Yes, I play in the same computer where the server will be running.

I will let you know if some of these tips work to fix the problem, guys. :spider:

6. lazarus78

It isnt necessary because that port is referring to the outside world. Since no one is connecting from outside your local network, the port is not necessary.

7. Koh

Koh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, that's why, then. When playing Terraria my sister connects with my PC's IP Address, while my girlfriend and some friends connect with my Public IP. So in this case, I need to forward the port to connect us all to the server.

8. lazarus78

Yeah, forwarding is only necessary for allowing people from the outside to connect. If someone is already in your network, then it is unnecessary.

9. chronodekar

chronodekar Space Hobo

Granted, there should be no difference between 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.101 when you are connecting from and to the same computer. But, in the unusual event that there is something at the networking layer that is causing problems, there is a better chance that he'll also encounter it locally if he uses 192.168.1.101. And since we're trying to help others connect to his own system, I figure we might as well have everyone attempt the same kind of connection.

10. Koh

Koh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@chronodekar , @lazarus78
    Hello again, guys! :spider:
    I finally was able to identify what was blocking the communication between the server and my Sister's PC. It wasn't my PC's Firewall, but my Antivirus' Firewall.

I'm using ESET Smart Security. In order to fix the problem I had to enter into the Advanced Setup, put the AV Personal Firewall into Automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules), go the Rules and zones option and enter in its setup. Here is where I had to stablish a new rule and put my Sister's PC's IP Address in the Remote Address exception (in this case it was 192.168.1.103), and that's it. I was able to run it without problems. Alternatively I could just click the option Do not filter network traffic (Disable firewall), but that was a risky move having the server open for long periods.

I appreciate your tips in this issue, guys. Thanks for you help! :up:

chronodekar, Dunto and lazarus78 like this.