1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed [FIX] GraphicsException: Could not create the Direct3d device

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by denafox, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

This isn't a "fix," it is a workaround.

If this resolves your issue and OpenGL mode doesn't work, it is likely that your video card simply isn't supported - it doesn't have the TnL caps needed to render the game.

If you're using a notebook, try updating your video drivers directly from the maker of your video chipset (i.e. Intel instead of Dell, HP, etc).

2. denafox

denafox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wait.

3. pulchy

pulchy Void-Bound Voyager

Uh are you saying wait for it to be fixed, or wait for the process to come up? Because on the v236 version, I see starbound.exe for a second in my Task Manager, and then it disapears.

4. denafox

Hmm, I do not know how to fix it. Maybe it's because of RAM? Because it is necessary to run the 800MB, I noticed it. And if I had to load the system, then closes starbound

5. denafox

Update the driver, this is the worst excuse.And yes, it does not crawl all the textures work fine, and hangs almost there. Just starbaund does not support inline graphics, and need to wait for a fix.

6. denafox

I mean, just the fact that if you run into 3analizere, then the steam will not be shown, that you play.

7. Sodaxi

Sodaxi Space Hobo

Can't devs just fix it?!

8. RvLesh

If there is something to fix, sure.

But the OP in this *specific* thread is using an application to trick the game into believing the adapter has a feature it categorically does not contain.

Just like trying to use Diesel in a car that only runs on Unleaded, you can't use HW TnL if the drivers/GPU don't support it/report it properly.

That's not to say there aren't solutions - the devs can remove the feature. But that's not necessarily in the best interest of the game or the playerbase as a whole.

Instead, if your video card doesn't contain the features required by the game, the solution is to upgrade.

9. denafox

Do not you understand that it supports this feature. The game does not see the built-in video card, do not understand? The game is all texture, as in the original. You behave too pessimistic. Developers said that optimize on slow computers, then optimized. And you have to believe them. And they Fixed and update system only excuse I like "homeless" and can not help. So no need to, once again upset person.

10. pazfam

pazfam Space Hobo

FYI as mentioned previously the work around worked for me. Not sure why my Radeon 7900 4 gb machine would not be supported.

11. RvLesh

What Catalyst driver version are you running?

12. RvLesh

What's the exact model of your GPU?

13. KethuDar

KethuDar Tentacle Wrangler

Mh, still doesnt wor for me... worked before like a charm, but after a patch last week, it doesnt. As i said in another thread: The launcher (or steam, then the launcher) starts instead the game.

14. RvLesh

Same question to you... what model GPU and what driver version?

15. KethuDar

KethuDar Tentacle Wrangler

That doesnt matter... i'm playing Starbound on an older laptop, and the card doesnt support TnL. As i said, it worked very well. ;)
    I think they changed something in the starbound.exe, that makes it impossible to start the game directly via it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    RvLesh likes this.
  16. denafox

I do not know why you have so. But I have everything working fine. Try to turn off steam, or run the launcher, and then run in 3danalizere starbound.exe

17. pazfam

pazfam Space Hobo

The latest version. Can't get on PC right now to check but have tried with last 3 versions and just reinstalled the latest.

I just checked 13.25.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  18. krakk

krakk Space Hobo

This fix works great! but steam just broke it.

Up until today I could run starbound on my HP4400 laptop and its puny Intel GMA 350 integrated graphics card. Now I cant get it to launch because the executable no longer starts the game, but launches the launcher instead. This throws off the graphics driver fix. It used to be that I told 3d analyser which program to run and how to handle the graphics card without crashing too often, and it launched the game in its simulated whatever - but now it just runs the launcher in its simulated whatever, and the launcher creates another process outside of the 3danalyser's influence which crashes.

The problem is a change in the launch process diverting 3danalysers influence to the launcher itself. Is there a way to launch starbound's executable from 3danalyser again?
    dxdiag attached.
    screenshot of game not running attached.

Attached Files:

19. denafox

There is one way, but I do not know him. Because I use it so far and everything is fine. You just run it from win32?

20. Bryancf

Bryancf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have the same problem as krakk.. Played the game with 3D analyze yesterday just fine, but today when I tried to open it again the graphics exception error appeared again.. D:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.