1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Tutorial fix for nightly 08/11/2015

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by krazybluemonkey, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazybluemonkey

krazybluemonkey Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wan't sure where to post this, but here's how i got nightly to work for me.

some notes
    • my OS is windows 10, so i'm not sure how this would work with other systems/OSs.
    • i have both nightly and stable in my steam library, stable was the only version i could use the unpacker with. when trying to use the nightly unpacker, it gives me an error about unreadable chunks (much like the log does when the game tries to load)

1a.replace the stable .pak in Starbound\assets with the nightly .pak in Starbound - Unstable\assets
    or
    1b.move the stable .pak to a different directory and move/copy the nightly .pak to the stable directory

2.unpack the assets, it might take more than one unpack to get all the files. (there are plenty of tutorials, i won't get in to it but i used the file from this thread)

3.take all (yes ALL) the files that were unpacked and put them in a new folder under "Starbound - Unstable\giraffe_storage\mods\"

4.make a .modinfo file with the following lines and put it in the same folder as the unpacked files(put what ever name you'd wish):

{
    "name" : "fix",
    "version" : "Beta v. Spirited Giraffe",
    "path" : "."
    }

5 (optional).delete all the files except the .pngs from the folder and sub-folders of the unpacked files. this should make any mods work along side this

and that's how i got nightly running on my machine. it's sloppy and a last ditch effort, but it worked. hope this helps!

huge pic for proof:

huge pic.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    tarot, Ekoto and lordbociek like this.
  2. Sick Sad World

Sick Sad World Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thank you for this. I have not yet tried it (too late to get into the nuts and bolts like that), but it seems highly plausible. Hopefully, when I wake up, they'll have fixed the issue. If not, I will be trying this method out, for sure.

3. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Your post is for helping with Nightly errors so I think you're in the good section. ;)

4. krazybluemonkey

as far as i can tell, the reason this works is because the current nightly can't read most if not any of the files in .pak files, as i tried re-packing the files after unpacking them, and it gave the same errors (the one about chuckles.png for example)

5. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

Super Job - ITS WORKING :)

6. Alaine

Alaine Guest

umm, modinfo into Unpacked assets folder?

7. krazybluemonkey

i might not have phrased that right, but you put the modinfo in the folder which you put all the unpacked assets in under "Starbound - Unstable\giraffe_storage\mods", the folder name is unimportant

Alaine likes this.
  8. Alaine

Alaine Guest

thanks, it works now :)[DOUBLEPOST=1439294460][/DOUBLEPOST][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  9. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

i had this error with some story mod installed - try to remove that mod

10. krazybluemonkey

for the most part, this tutorial is for those who don't use mods, but if you delete every file that isn't a .png from this "fix", it should work with mods, as the only files that seem to be affected are the .pngs

11. Alaine

Alaine Guest

re-download in steam works or not?

12. Diprog

Diprog Void-Bound Voyager

No :c

13. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

i keep getting Error:
    Assetexception: no such asset /assets.config
    asset exception::read(string)
    Assets:Load()
    Assets::Assets(stringlist)
    Root::assets()
    ClientApplication::clientApplication()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

i followed your tutorial exactly except i copy and pasted the stable starbound folder from steam to my desktop and named it Starbound for nightly fix

After that i copy and replaced the packed.pak from nightly to the new starbounds asset folder
    then put the unpacker from the linked tutorial in the 32 folder and ran it.
    copyied all the files in the upacked folder and put them in a folder called Fornightlyfix in the giraffe mods folder
    then i copied and pasted the stuff for the .modinfo and made a modinfo called fornightlyfix and put that in the fornightly fix mod folder (also tried putting it in the actual folder where mods go...)
    Ran the starboundOpenGL and normal starbound in the 32 folder but got the error above both times..

14. Alaine

Alaine Guest

i hope devs look for their error and we got fix in next update

15. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

Wait it got fixed?

16. Diprog

Diprog Void-Bound Voyager

No. Probably it will be fixed tomorrow

17. krazybluemonkey

from what i have in my fix folder, and what it's saying in the error, you have something in it or in another mod's folder called "assets.config", which isn't used by the game. try finding and deleting that file. not sure that's what needs to be done, but that's all i can think of

18. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

I dont mod. it was a clean install because i tried reinstalling the nightly cus they say that helps fix problems sometimes (did that before i saw everyone was having problems with this update)
    also the stable starbound was unmodded as well...
    although my main in stable has a few items that were obtained in a multiplayer server that were created by other players... but that would be saved in the character data wouldnt it?...

i tried a second time around.
    This time i followed your tutorial EXACTLY
    went to the Unstable starbound Cntl-C the pack.pak
    went to the stable starbound- moved the pack.pack from that folder to a new folder on desktop for safe keeping and Cntl-V the unstable pack there...
    then i put the unpacker(from tutorial) in the win32 folder(stable starbound...) and double clicked on it.
    went back to the assets folder in the stable starbound and went inside the unpacked folder- cntl-A cntl-C
    however i had noticed this time... your tutorial said to put the mod stuff in the UNSTABLE starbound (which i didnt do last time... i had ended up using the copy of the stable starbound and put the files in the places you stated in there....)
    so i made a folder called NightlyFix inside the unstable giraffe mod folder and cntl v in the nightlyfix folder...
    Then i put the .modinfo text file-
    {
    "name" : "fix",
    "version" : "Beta v. Spirited Giraffe",
    "path" : "."
    }
    ^ that
    - into the Nightly fix folder

.... Tried to run the game and got the chuckle error instead which is what i was getting when i first tried to start starbound nightly today (did they forget to add the chucklefish logo animation or something?)

EDIT: just noticed something.... the unpacker from the tutorial says unpacked(prolly just the file name that i mistakenly thiught it meant it was done...) but it still seems to be working....

19. krazybluemonkey

the command prompt that comes up should either tell you that is finished and display how many seconds have elapsed or just close. other then that i'm at a loss as to whats happening in this case. point is that it takes a minute or two for it to finish.

20. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

I had assumed it was done when i saw the last word say unpacked... i really needa pay more attention...
    so it will tell me when its done? im unpacking and keeping an eye on the files to see if they are being modified.
    i have everything set up in the unstable giraffe mod folder so all i have to do is plop this in when im done... hopefully it will work this time...
    EDIT: the unpacker closed
    but you had said something in the first post about possibly having to unpack multiple times? how does one know if you have to do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.