Fishing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sptotal01, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sptotal01

Sptotal01 Space Hobo

I have ~40 hours game time (will be 50 after today) and I have caught 1 fish. This isn't for lack of trying I just can't do it - i've heard it get's easier the higher your level so I keep trying hoping I can get lucky and level up eventually but it's not happening.

I finished the crab pot bundle and got 3 crab pots to use which I thought was my saving grace however I can't get bait from Willy's fish shop? Do I need to be a higher fishing level to do that??

If that is the case and I can't buy bait is there any other way to get some fishing level boosts just so I can catch a fish? I really enjoy playing this game but it feels like i'm missing out on an entire 20% of it. If I can't fish I know i'm not going to be able to complete the game so other than making money and improving my farm it makes the rest of the quests and stuff redundant (for me anyway - why try complete a game when you can't complete it?).

I'm sure people have moaned about fishing before but I am completely stuck. I've spent the last 3 real life hours fishing and haven't caught a thing.

• mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

Bait will be available at the fish shop when your fishing level is 2.

2 other ways to increase your fishing proficiency are:
      1. Crab pot : Permanent proficieny increase
      2. Eat food :Temporary fishing buff

For now, I'd suggest you eat food buff, such as Trout Soup (available at 250g at fish shop) or any other better food, go fish Crab (the easiest fish) at Secret Forest pond, and reach level 2.

After that, you can abandon fishing forever should you wish it, and simply use crab pot to increase the proficiency for purpose of catching specific fishes for completing Fishing Bundles in Community Center.

Gabaw and sprekken like this.
      • Sptotal01

Sptotal01 Space Hobo

Ooh I haven't tried fishing in the secret forest! I will give those things a go. Thank you!

• mrobake

Sorry not Crab, but Crap CARP. Typo and all...

edit: ihatemobilephonetyping

Gabaw likes this.
          • Sptotal01

Sptotal01 Space Hobo

@mrobake Thank you ever so much for your help. The trout soup allowed me to catch 3 carp (which stayed at the bottom of the meter the entire time!) in the secret forest so now I'm level 1 fishing so can use trout soup to get bait! Thank you!

Gabaw and mrobake like this.
            • mrobake

Nice! glad I can help :up:

Gabaw likes this.
              • NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

Once you get to Level 3 you can make crab pots, they count towards your fishing level. They don't give much experience, but they do give some! Once you get to Level 6 you can add lures to help you fish, so just keep fishing! The higher the level of your fishing the longer the bar gets on the fishing meter! And try crab potting! (I made like 100 crab pots and then bought a ton of bait and just kept doing crab pots and random fishing(

Gabaw likes this.
                • Manning

Manning Aquatic Astronaut

When I first started I had the same problem. I eventually got frustrated and downloaded the "Easier Fishing" mod.
                  http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/easier-fishing.107819/

I'll defend this because it allowed me to improve my skills. I have since removed the mod, and I am now able to catch 90% of fish at level 1.

Gabaw likes this.