1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Fishing, pokedex, and other future goodies

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheUnartist, Aug 9, 2016.

1. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

Surprised there isn't an official blogpost about this yet.

Tiy tweeted a quick WIP gif of the fishing mechanic yesterday,
    https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/762582909505171456
    along with the news of an added pokedex.

I thought they were going to poll the community about future content patches, but I guess these were inevitable additions. At the very least, that fishing mechanic looks like it could be quite satisfying, instead of the typical "click when bobs".
    And I doubt many people are going to be able to resist 'catching em' all' once all of our characters are outfitted with their very own pokedex.

I'm also going to make the assumption, based off nightly diff notes, that this will be the patch where we get novakid settlements. Very excited for this if it's true.

And just to do a little 'fishing' of my own, has anyone heard anything regarding the next possible star system? I noticed the name 'dark mystery' in the assets in regards to it, just wondering if there is any word on its implementation.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

the dna splicing was still a good idea, I want to hunt and gather creature dna and combine my very own creaton form these parts. But I don't need a stupid pokedex when it serves as nothing else than grannies picture album.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  3. Kitler

Kitler Void-Bound Voyager

I'm actually glad that there'll be Novakid additions. Besides Hylotl, I sometimes play as a Novakid for the kicks of it, and never have I seen Novakid furnitures or settlements. Basically I'm the only Novakid in the entire universe.

''Dark mystery'', I've never heard of it myself. Could be anything as far as I know, black holes, a new feature to the shadow people on dark planets in the systems of frozen stars. etc etc. Both of these sound unlikely but eh, at least I tried.

However I'm really looking forward to the ''collection'' thing that Tiy mentioned, should soothe my hoarding/collecting tendencies during the gameplay.

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

For me, I am not looking forward to fishing. It is nice to add an extra activity, but fishing isn't my thing usually; in any game that I have ever played. One exception would be the Dark Cloud series, but that was still not something I enjoyed; while enjoying the rest of the game...

I am however looking forward to the pokedex like thing, even if its' first implementation is "grannies photo album", as it would give a physical representation and log of what I have seen of what ever is going to be in that pokedex. If there is more to it than that, then good. I still would love to be able to make my own log or books in-game of interesting things I find, my own little notes while I explore. I'll see where they take each element they decide to add.

And other things they may add just makes me curious. What can I say, I am easily entertained, as long as it is not just fishing; never liked those games, but know some do that is just that. Doesn't mean I wouldn't play the fishing part when it is introduced, just means it wouldn't be something I would go out of my way to do. Extra activity. :nurutease:

5. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

What do you mean by 'next star system'?

I've not heard anything about it, but you've peaked my interest now.. and I'm curious o:

6. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

Seriously, of all things that they should have come up with for first content patch they will introduce fishing ? Pokedex ok, but I am not really trilled about it.

He has looked into asset difference notes for nightly build and noticed something that can potentially be "new star system", no one mentioned it, it's just assumption but he is curious if anyone might have heard about potential hints.

It could be something else entirely

7. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm specifically referring to clues in the current game assets. The star system we see in game goes from Gentle to Fiery, but the one in the game assets actually goes from Gentle to 'Dark Mystery', though it is lacking any artwork and isn't actually being used. There is also a clue in the fact that the threat range goes from 1-7, but the toughest available planet only uses threat level 6 (not counting the moons which are marked as level 10, I assume by accident).

I'm taking a massive leap in assuming this is in someway similar to the Nebulae idea Tiy had about two years ago, which was just a high-threat mishmash of all the biomes.

8. Davoodinator

Davoodinator Void-Bound Voyager

seems interesting.

what does catching fish(/monsters?) look like? and can we finally have some sea monsters on ocean worlds? :D

imho "pokedex" style pet collecting means we should also get some reason to collect these other than to just .. collect them. for example it would be nice if we could level/evolve them up a little. perhaps even name them?. or branching trees of evolution

to the relentless advocates of the existing system:

1. we were we given pet tether stations and pet healing stations? if pets should only be cosmetic then they should be inert and invincible and not need to be healed
    2. we are given various collar options, some are battle / defense related. once again meaning some proto-idea of having battle pets

9. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

Aaah... I see... I see. ... Hm.. that IS interesting... Maybe it is a new star system? Room for new content in a future patch.

For the sake of improvements on the game I'm going to hope you may be right.

10. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just hope the fish are distributed by biomes, not tiers. Otherwise I predict artificial (and highly unrealistic) lakes in moons.

11. Thee Pie Man

Thee Pie Man Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ohh, thanks for posting this here. I don't use twitter but this is awesome information to hear for me and my sister love to cook and buying raw fish from random merchants was getting to be a bit annoying.~

Pokedex is also something I look forward to, hopefully they will implement a system to where if you simply "return" a monster it will register it. I'd really rather not have to go to the same/similar planets to catch the monstrosities I've uncovered just so they get registered.

I feel like they are going to tier down the moon just because of the exploit that you can build moon bases and get crazy loot from NPC's.

12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you can still hunt fish with a bow on an oceanic planet to gather raw fish.

13. xaritscin

xaritscin Aquatic Astronaut

speaking of fishing culture. it would be a nice addition if you could breed captive fishes and monsters for meat production.

you could have a captured breeding pair and use it to generate aditional monsters in a controlled environment and then use them to farm meats and other materials out of them.

but i guess that would make the hunting part less appealing. its not like you get most of the animal materials out of fluffalo. but still, meats cannot be obtained from livestock right now.