1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

First Boss perfect Kill? (Spoiler Warning)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Greatblackshark, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Or alternatively, I would think it would make sense to go out of one's way to fight Bosses away from any Structure ya give a buggers about... that's one way to protect one's allied structures. ;)

The only way your Structure should be safe is if it's on your Homeworld, & I wouldn't be surprised if it was gonna be completely impossible to have a Boss Battle on a Homeworld... the first Boss Battle takes place in a tutorial area, & the other Bosses afterwards I think are gonna have their own Arenas to themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the First Boss was the only Boss that was 'summoned to you' like in the Vid.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  2. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I completely agree. It actually appeared about a minute after placing the Distress Beacon.

I'm not sure how they will do it exactly, but maybe the game will somehow detect when your whole party has entered the boss arena and then lock the doors behind you and summon the boss, or have it based on other conditionals like the Penguin UFO. It could even be something based on your strength like the how the Eye of Cthulu appears in Terraria, only based on equipment levels instead of max health.

For bosses that are not fought in an indestructible dungeon arena, I'd prefer they can destroy blocks rather than passing through them.

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

That's lazy programming/game design.

4. azarga

azarga Big Damn Hero

I think that going full-melee against a boss in a game where you're damaged and knoked back upon contact with enemy model is a bad idea (or a good one if your gear outlevels the content and/or your 1337 5ki112 make ranged fights far too easy so you need to make things more difficult for yourself).

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

I don't like a boss that could destroy my base too, but I do like the mechanic in a game. It will be annoying to see my hard built home take damage, but after the fight I repair and make changes to evolve my survival skills.
    I think trial and error make for a more interesting play through.

I do like the idea of crowd control abilities in a bosses arsenal, but something that changes temp in a small area alone doesn't even seem like a weapon without something more deadly raining down.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

And here comes the news - you are not damaged just by a contact with model in SB, just when attack animation is ongoing.

Axe Garian and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  7. DeadlyLuvdisc

You know what? That first boss never really destroyed any blocks, but it did show players that enemy attacks can and will damage their base. Hopefully most players will learn from that and won't fight any more bosses right next to their base, and instead will fight in an open field or create a makeshift arena out of dirt.

Axe Garian and Keithblu like this.
  8. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Uggghhh, nnnooooo. That was terrible, having bosses ignore all manner of logic and treat solid matter like it's not even there isn't an answer to this sort of thing. It's also a lot of the reason why melee was so crappy in that game. Floaty physics + bosses that can clip through walls = Good freaking luck, swordsman.

9. DeadlyLuvdisc

IFIFY :3

10. Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

Juice Box would put his friends in a box in the ground, to lure the enemy. Then simply use the powers of the Holy Juice to insta-kill the mothership, Juice Box would only take damage from using the powers of the Holy Juice. Juice Box's friend would be turned to :poo: though.

11. Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

Perfect Beta testers :iswydt:

Axe Garian and M C like this.
  12. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Not really, Megaman X 4 and onwards had bosses immune to knockback with contact damage, yet Zero still functioned awesomely against bosses, so much so that he's generally considered better in boss fights than X. The difference is, Megaman has ALWAYS had awesome jumping and movement physics, and the bosses were well designed for the most part.

I actually like that we're getting rid of everything having contact damage in sidescrollers, but by nature it doesn't hurt melee unless the enemies and movement physics get in the way of the player being where they want to be. With was very, very much the case in Terraria.

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I'm not sure this is accurate, I'm not sure it's inaccurate either. I saw what you were talking about with them not taking damage from touching the ufo, but I think the collision box of the ufo might be slightly smaller than the ufo itself. Also, players do take damage when colliding with other enemies.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. LightHoof

Nope, it was stated by devs, that damage comes only at from the attack animation. What you mean by colliding with enemies is probably their body slam attack, actually. This is the one where mobs jump over the player, yes.

15. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Hmm, really? No I'm talking about when they jump into fire breathing bird and take a different amount of damage (5 for fire 8 for collision if I remember right?)

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. LightHoof

I believe this may be a slight variation in damage from one source. Though I would appreciate if you told me which video do you mean and aproximate timing on it, so I could check myself :)

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

I like the repair gun idea, sort of like an engineer role during a battle where the engineer would have to prioritize what to repair and when while the battle rages on. With functionality like this in place, the Devs could design bosses with all manner of 'shock and awe style' attacks to keep things very lively indeed.

18. RamenGaiden

RamenGaiden Title Not Found

You basically just described Space Invaders lol.

Axe Garian and Greatblackshark like this.
  19. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Hmm after looking again I see that you are completely correct, I believe I was letting my previous misconception blind me to what was really happening. I believe what I was noticing before was the fire birds shooting fire and then following up with a swoop.

20. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

How about shield generators you can place in your base? It can work like energy shields in Borderlands and pretty much any futuristic game with regenerating shield technology. Maybe even have shields that have an effect when they break from too much damage, although that would probably be copying too much from Borderlands.