Modding Discussion Firefly/Serenity "Big Box of Loot" collaboration

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dead Squirrel, Jan 1, 2014.

?

Who's the most important damn character to get done?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. Cpt. Mal

98 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Jayne

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Wash

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Zoe

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Kaylee

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Simon

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. River

11 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Inara

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. Shepard Book

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. kittentamer

kittentamer Existential Complex

When I first started the sprites, I couldn't get them to show up. I noticed in someone else's mod (that worked) that they had the .frames in there. I haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure if they are necessary, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything having them there. You know more about modding then I do, so feel free to edit as needed. I always have copies on my harddrive. ^^

2. kittentamer

Bwahaha. I think I finished my mod. The only thing left? Playtesting all the way to Imperium! ^^

3. Applesaur

Applesaur Space Hobo

is this going to be an entirely aesthetic mod?

4. kittentamer

My impression is the clothes will be aesthetic. Weapons are intended to be made as well, though, so not entirely aesthetic when done.

I actually had a thought on that, too. Mal's Browncoat (and potentially Zoe's bodysuit, maybe Jayne's heavy jacket): Should they be made with leather instead of fabric and as such have stats to match the snow attire?

btw, if anyone wants to check it out...my mod!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's a nice idea. It would let the clothes be more than purely aesthetic. Could even let River's clothes give a slight speed or jump height boost, like the Apex armor will eventually.

Nice mod, kitten! I'll give it a shot soon.

6. Darkeden251

Darkeden251 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow!I just started watching Firefly so this will definitely be something I keep an eye on. Downloaded the ship mod as well.

Justown likes this.
  7. Straylight

Straylight Big Damn Hero

This is going to be one of my favorite mods for Starbound right there along side your Firefly ship mod, Dead Squirrel. I can't wait to see this finished. Mal's coat looks amazing!

8. Captain Malcolm

Captain Malcolm Big Damn Hero

Looking good!
    If you need it I have all the pixel stuff part for Mal's Browncoat that I can give you, although right now its just a retextured scientist outfit.

As in I just retextured it but didn't change the code at all, I dont know a lot about writing code but I'm trying to learn

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  9. Dead Squirrel

Thanks! But you should know that box-of-loot is definiety more kittentamer's work than mine at the moment, she's deserves most of the credit! ;)

I think the coat we have right now (And the one I was editing) is based off a recolored scientist coat. It's just such a perfect shape. If you've added any buttons or suspenders or stuff to the coat, I'll totally add it in! There shouldn't be much coding involved with that sprite short of renaming some files.

10. kittentamer

*giggles* Thanks. ^^

That is my secret of speed. Just revamping system sprites and using Notepad++ to modify the files. Copied into my working folder, of course. Best to try not to change system files in the system folder! =P
    I've also been using Photoshop Elements to color and such. So easy with layers, change hue and the burn tool! I'm lucky I have a copy lying around from college!

11. kittentamer

If you mean the coat I'd included in the ongoing zip file I've been posting, hate to tell you, but FoolsPower did that one. All I did was modify the recipe to better fit it being vanity and add it to the rest. I don't have a copy of the one DeadSquirrel has been working on. It seems a popular outfit, everyone is doing a version. xD

12. kittentamer

I will be releasing this as an official mod sometime today. Just have to check a few things with my Backpacks mod.

13. kittentamer

14. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just threw this together quick. Ignore the dress, haven't had a chance to update it to the new texture.
    Maybe one of you guys can make the umbrella look less crappy. I suck at pixel art. I wanted to make it angled, but I was having a hard enough time doing it straight lol.

[​IMG]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7qv3tpxnnu4xk0/umbrella.zip

15. kittentamer

Thanks! With something to go off of, it isn't hard to make things look right. Once I'm done trying to figure out Vera, I'll mess with the umbrella. ^^

16. Ifrix

Ifrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Another idea is to add the Spacesuits (just watched 'Bushwhacked' :p )

Love this idea. I've finished my ship (another Firefly ;) ) so I'll see if I can make some of these :) (might actually have a go at the parasol...)

EDIT - Done a Parasol. Just a static image atm, will work on making it move tomorrow. - http://d.pr/i/YOvu

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Dead Squirrel likes this.
  17. kittentamer

Alright, I'm trying to make Vera work properly. I made 5 versions, so you can use her as you level up. Unfortunately, she runs out of usefulness on even rank 2 worlds! I can't increase the power without making it take all your energy each shot. =/

If anyone knows how to properly do guns, can you take a look and see what I did wrong?

<edit> I did the obvious and searched the forums. *facepalm* Damage problems solved. Just need to sort out the recipes and I'll be including them in the next release tonight!

18. kittentamer

You know how you asked me about why I put those .frames files in the armor folder with my mods? Guess why the hat wasn't working last night? I forgot to do that while testing Jayne's hat! xD

19. Dead Squirrel

Whoah that's pretty! (Though, I particularly like the bald model you used :p )

Ah! Alright. But help me out, why are they important? I'll look through the files and see. It's just that I've added some clothing in (Commander Keen mod), and didn't edit those files. Is it related to the recipes?

EDIT: I think I know what's up, but I dun have a pc that runs Starbound till tmrw. Better break out my patience hat!

20. Ifrix

Ifrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Finished the parasol (not made the .back file, just the textures)

[​IMG]

"description" : "With this, there aint a power in the verse can stop you being cheerful",

back.png parasolbackicon.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With regards to item descriptions I don't think any names should be mentioned. Just hints to the show, eg instead of "You take care of me, Simon. You've always taken care of me. My turn." just put "My turn to take care of you."

Also I think one item should have this description :p "The last person to wear this was mauled to death by a Fox..."