1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Gold

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Panfux, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Panfux

Panfux Seal Broken

I really need gold to get a gold armor to proceed further into the game. Proglem is, I can barely find any gold in mines. So do any of you guys know "techniques" for mining gold or certain coordinates to planet with villages/dungeons with alot of gold?

Help is appeciated.

2. Graylen

Graylen Big Damn Hero

Gold is more common in the "Third" tier of a planet, they're sort of made of layers, but smaller ones only have 2 tiers, if you go to massive planet and mine down very far to get to the third layer, gold has a "Chance" of being as common as copper.
    Ore is still slightly random though, so on the offchance that you're unlucky, gold might still be sparse there.

3. Panfux

Panfux Seal Broken

Oh, i had no idea about this layer thing. I will try to mine on larger planets. Does the level of the planet matter?

4. Dsurion

Dsurion Big Damn Hero

Yes, the level matter in a way, I think i´ve found a lot more gold in a planet lvl 29 than on a planet lvl 21.

5. Malkyn

Malkyn Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not sure how much the level up planets matter. I know in tier 4 some planets have gold ore on the surface and about as abundant as iron was on lower level planets. Obviously it being in tier 4 planets doesn't help your case, but I have no idea if it's just because of the tier or because of the level of the planets themselves.

6. Graylen

Graylen Big Damn Hero

I'm not sure if it does for gold, but i know it does for higher tier ores.
    I'm pretty sure gold is a low tier ore though, so i dont think it should matter, sorry that i cant answer that one.

7. Razor2k12

Razor2k12 Space Hobo

I spent six hours last night on a level 8 planet mining the gold, I found it much easier when I got near the lava level ( the bottom ) but still difficult. I also had a friend goto a planet of the same level and found plenty of gold at the same level. I think what is needed at some point in the future is some fuel based ship scanner that just hints as to how good the levels of ore are on any given planet. I think its about 120 something raw gold you need with about 8 to 12 a vein ( at least for me anyway ).

Good luck

8. darkangel034

darkangel034 Master Chief

im having the same issues...i feel like gold isnt common enough for the armor it requires

Edeamous likes this.
  9. GrandTickler

GrandTickler Void-Bound Voyager

gold was too rare for my tastes, platinum even worse. by the time i found some i didnt even need it anymore

10. tofurkey098

tofurkey098 Void-Bound Voyager

WE need some extra way to find ore, for example, something like the ore-finder potion from terraria. or for the sci-fi feel something more like an ore-scanner on the ship?

11. Ctrix

Ctrix Space Hobo

Snow planets have more ores than other planets and moons have even more. But you'll freeze to death instantly unless you're wearing the snow infantry set or putting down a campfire every 5 seconds.

12. Giltone

Giltone Void-Bound Voyager

Huh, i guess i am someone who gets to feel a teeny bit special, my starting planet got that small chance, it's not as rare to find gold as it did prior to the most recent update, and so far, I've gotten more gold and silver from mining than i have copper/iron (This includes finding surface gold) Maybe in the most recent update with the work changed to the level system, they may have tweaked the ore generation rate as well.

13. K r i s

K r i s Astral Cartographer

Yeah this thread was made before this update, in which in this recent update they increased the ore spawning rates dramatically. I agree that I have found more gold and silver than anything.

14. Desphex

Desphex Tentacle Wrangler

Same here, haven't even left my first planet, but already have around 98 gold bars, and similar silver. Finding it between Slime and Sewage blocks though.

15. darkangel034

darkangel034 Master Chief

lol this post was before the patch :3

16. Cheeseman706

Cheeseman706 Space Hobo

Ive found tons of it in asteroid belts. I got around 276 ores

17. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

Dude are you for real? This thread is 5 years old...