Dev Blog Final Approach to 1.0

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by SamuriFerret, Apr 3, 2016.

1. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Regarding the performance and optimization. Will it stop the world stuttering as well? When i move around or interacting via digging/building the world sometimes freezes for a split second but my character doesn't so it has to resync which will cause some enviroment changes to delay and possible mess something up.

AfterBurner0 likes this.
  2. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I've been following you and your game since it was announced and I'm *STILL* sitting here waiting to hear about server tools. I don't want to have to use those janky third party wrappers that cause more problems than they fix. Can you please touch on the status of Starbound server tools? It's like all these sandbox games come out and we have to rely on everyone but the actual devs to give us a way to correctly manage a server.

Terraria: Tshock
    Minecraft: Bukkit, Spigot, ETC (never got that Workbench API)
    Starbound: Look at the forums

We need you guys to release your own, official, versatile server management software so we can run dedicated servers with plugins, anti-hacking measures, terrain protection, ability to change the spawn planet... and all that other good stuff. Also, where is client/server files? You have said several times in the past we were going to have the way files are handled changed so that on servers, the files would be server side preventing people with hacked files from entering. And on top of that, we'd be able to download files off a server and use their custom mods and plugins. We also don't have the fabled Dungeon Master mode that was supposed to allow us as server admins to become the puppeteer and control different things on the server like mobs and manual events. None of those things are here and we're talking about 1.0. I hope that this just means that since you're speaking on being done with the game's core engine, the additional content is the stuff I just mentioned because they are sorely needed. I did some dungeon master type stuff manually on my own server and it went over really well but if I had an actual DM mode, that would have given me an infinite list of possibilities that weren't available to me previously. Well, that and the hacking would have stopped.

The stuff we have now like quests and vehicles being static entities (this is awesome, one of my most wanted features) is great but a lot is still missing that, in my opinion, should be there before the game is "1.0 retail"

viIe, Spritley Jack, Boshed and 2 others like this.
  3. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Man, while I fully agree with what you say, there's really no hope regarding Yahtzee; even if the Devs delivered an experience that put Minecraft to shame, there's always a 99% chance of him giving Starbound shit, like he does with everything, with that remaining 1% belonging to those very few games he actually LIKED (Portal, Dark Souls, Psychonauts, Undertale).

However, on the flip side, he ALREADY reviewed Starbound earlier 2014, so there's probably no chance of him reviewing it again.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  4. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

When a DRM-free version? I did not forget and not forgive anything.

5. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

My reaction:

I will be ready for this.

6. Johan

Johan Phantasmal Quasar

But how many years will take to hit 1.0? has been 4 years of reworking and reworking :cancel:

Master Automan IV likes this.
  7. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

If you already pledged the pledge reward page should have a link to download a DRM free version of the game. If you haven't pledged and want to buy a DRM free copy go here: https://www.gog.com/game/starbound

8. OwnUbyCake

OwnUbyCake Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hope we see this before No Mans Sky at least. I think that is very important for this game because the 1.0 update will be a fairly big announcement and I would love to see a resurgence of success and popularity for this game after so many wrote it off after its initial early access launch left a lot of people not so interested (which i mean come on it was a very early early access). Id love to see a timeframe (preferably one that is after what they believe they will launch it internally so that we can see it launched "early") but I understand that with so many hopes riding on this already it might be better to not release a date that may not be able to be met exactly.

jakecool19 likes this.
  9. Celesmeh

Celesmeh Void-Bound Voyager

I mean they mentioned bosses, exploring, and world generation. I guess I never expected this game to have an 'endgame' I expect it to be a sandbox with some sort of story

Akre likes this.
  10. Tature Wildheart

Tature Wildheart Void-Bound Voyager

I actually find the new planet generation kind of annoying, I go to a planet for certain things but it ends up being a hassle trying to find what belongs there. I don't want to go to a jungle planet and travel a cross a dessert, moon, and whatever just to find a jungle.

Spritley Jack and Akre like this.
  11. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Yes, my page in Humble has something to offer.

12. naqsha

naqsha Void-Bound Voyager

I hope I could be able to play it when 1.0 reaches out! I'm worried :c

the update seems really amazing and interesting, so much new things to enjoy!

13. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

Close like within a month, or close like Soon™?

One question though: will 1.0 include a map? If not, then planet exploration will continue to be frustrating.

14. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

"Endgame" as in "stuff to do once you're done with story/aquired the best gear".

15. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

Gotta say, I had lost interest in Starbound a while ago, but I checked periodically to see what's going on. Pretty excited for this next update. Specifically excited about the removal of false barriers. I like being able to play the game how I want to play it. Making a massive ship was something I was never really a fan of, but it was required to progress. Very excited to see what's coming post 1.0. Keep up the fantastic work, Chucklefish.

AfterBurner0 likes this.
  16. Celesmeh

Celesmeh Void-Bound Voyager

Ah sorry English isn't my first language, so I thought endgame was part of story. I apologize.

17. Vulgar5D

Vulgar5D Void-Bound Voyager

If me and my buddy who runs the server for us have a base set up on a planet and we make new characters for the update, can we go back to that planet as the new characters and find our base unchanged?

18. Listlessdanger

Listlessdanger Space Hobo

Hey all and devs I've been playing starbound for quite a while now but I'm relatively new too the forum's(e.g just joined to make this post) and I'm just wondering now that 1.0 is expected on the horizon pretty soon is there any chance of a 1.0 new race forgive me if that's a stupid question but i'd kinda like too see a race that is either spider like or made out of molten rock but dm if not the new update looks awesome chucklefish you guys are lv 7 tier

19. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Well, I hope that I will find in Humble the version 1.0.

20. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova